VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am thinking about converting all my old VHS tapes to DVD now that I have a DVD player/burner on my new computer tower. I started looking at some of these old tapes, and everything that was recorded at SP speed plays perfect. However, everything recorded at LP or SLP has white snow for a picture. LP recordings at least have audio, but SLP has zero audio or picture. Problem is I got rid of the original VCR I recorded this stuff on years ago due to a faulty remote. I SO WISH I WOULD HAVE JUST REPLACED THE REMOTE! I got a newer model USED Panasonic VCR from someone and these tapes are virtually unplayable except for the stuff I was fortunate enough to have recorded at SP speed.
    Before I purchase one of those VHS to DVD converters, I have GOT TO FIND A WAY to view these tapes again! It's frustrating because I recorded so much COOL STUFF off TV over the years and I really want it all on DVD to view forever.
    What do I need to do? Do I need to find an older VCR?
    Believe me, I've tried the tracking. That doesn't help.
    I have a feeling that once I start converting these old tapes, I have to be able to view the tapes on the machine I'm converting from first, for them to record right on the DVD burner, right?? If so, this current VCR isn't going to work in this conversion process, right?
    Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might try first buying an old VHS tape from a rummage sale or a thrift shop, making sure to clean the video heads and test it to make sure it won't eat tapes first. White noise could just be still be a tracking issue, for the first time my Panasonic es40v did that last week. Converting to DVD can either be direct dub, or vhs to hdd to dvd depending on the device. My panasonic es40v direct dubs home vhs tapes directly to DVD_RAM for editing purposes, or direct to DVD which saves time.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A guess--the tracking window of your new VCR is so narrow the device can't find the right setting for your LP and SLP recordings. You probably don't make any new recordings with the device, so you can ask service workshop to adjust it (maybe even mechanically) for your old tapes.
    Does some tape has both SP and LP recording on it? And you can play only SP? If you try tracking, do you see at least some effect?
    Make sure the (S)LP tapes are not too old, over 20 years. Maybe all your SP recordings are newer and thus play normally.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some VCRs will not play an SLP track - the old panny AG-7350 that I have comes to mind. Borrow another VCR - if it works, and you have a ton of tapes to convert: You can always buy one. If the tape has meaning, you'll find the way.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the replies.
    In answer to your questions, YES some tapes have both SP and LP on them, recorded at the same time. SP plays fine, and the LP, SLP stuff will not play right with all white snow. As I fast forward the tape, the screen will turn all blue for a moment where I switched the recording speed, I'll stop fast forwarding, and then you can see whatever was recorded on the tape perfectly where I had apparently switched to SP speed. Oh, also, while I am fast forwarding or rewinding through the snowy picture, you can actually see what I had recorded at LP (or rarely, SLP), but of course in fast motion with no audio. You can perfectly see what the recording is, but then when I stop FF or RW, it goes back to snow.
    As a result, if I had a technician adjust the tracking window to view the LP and SLP stuff, wouldn't that make the stuff recorded at SP that currently plays well, unwatchable?
    Could a repair guy just fix this problem in general?
    Could it be dirty heads?
    Tapes are all about 10-15 years old.
    Absolutely EVERYTHING on those tapes was viewable with the old VCR, regardless of what tape speed they were originally recorded at.
    Yes, when I adjust the tracking during playback of the snowy LP, it does have an effect on the picture, but not enough to allow you to see it even remotely clearly, but it does have an effect.
    Also, here's a sort of unrelated question, once I get this mess all figured out, is there a VHS to DVD machine I can buy whereby I can actually edit what content will go on each DVD?...so I can transfer all the tapes at once on to my hard drive, then for example burn everything from Saturday Night Live on one DVD, and everything music related on another, etc...? That would just be a dream for me. Maybe some kind of good software that will create some order of all this material? If so, what's the best one, and/or easiest to use?
    Sorry, there's a lot of info here, but just want to provide you with as much as possible.
    Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you considered just paying a service known for restoring VHS quality, for these few tapes? It looks like it's just a few tapes?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Sorry, but it's every recording I have on every single VHS tape I own that was recorded at either LP or SLP. I have 21 tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  8. What brand of VCR did you record your tapes on?

For what you want to do, the easiest way is to just use a DVD recorder. Just preview your tapes ahead of time and figure out what you want to put on each DVD, dividing them up by the amount of time each program takes up.

Keep in mind, you don't want to put more than 2 hrs per disc of video on a DVD @ 720x480 resolution. So an EP tape would turn into 3 DVDs, if you use single-layer discs.

If you are concerned about image quality -- you want to get a good VCR and a good DVD recorder, they are not all made equally. See the VCR buying guide in the Restoration section. All of the good DVD recorders and most of the best VCRs used for these purposes are on the used market now, nothing can be bought new in the store.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    My old VCR was a Broksonic. Can't remember if it was a 2-head or a 4-head.
    I believe it was this one:

http://www.broksonic.com/mainVHSA-6687CTBE.htm

Here's a photo:

http://www.broksonic.com/VHSA-CTBELarge.htm

Thanks for the transfer info. Will ask in more detail later after I figure this one out.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. You do not say what country you are in, I would start with a Sharp vcr with super picture, $25 at a thrift store.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    US
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is a tracking problem. A technician who knows this model could maybe readjust the device, but only electrical settings, not mechanical; in this case SP playability maintain.

It is also possible that this particular device is not capable to playback SLP, but only SP and LP. There're maybe few VHS-to-DVD machines still on the market. None of them are actually very good VHS players. Take the tapes with you for testing before you make a deal. Or find an old VCR as was well suggested. JVC has produced few models with Dynamic Drum system, that would be good option. Don't remember though if it has SLP mode.

If still picture on SP is ok (stable), you don't need to clean heads.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Sony says that at 15 years video starts to turn to fuzz, so backup what you can. I'd keep trying another vcr & see if you can find one that plays them better. Try Ebay for old vcrs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy View Post
    Sony says that at 15 years video starts to turn to fuzz, .
    Utter bullshit.

The lifespan of a video tape is more in the 30-65 years range.

(You're the messenger here, I dispute your source, not you.)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  15. Also, keep in mind to store your tapes in as mild settings as possible -- such as indoors in a smoke-free home. Storing your tapes stacked up on the garage floor can make them degrade much faster than 15 years.
    Quote Quote