VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My Pinnacle Moviebox USB seems to have died. It lasted almost 5 years. My job requires me to produce Mpeg1 files from my video shoots. With the Moviebox, I was able to produce my Mpeg1 files in real time, at the job site, saving me hours of converting work at home.

I am having trouble finding a hardware Mpeg1 capable encoder that works from the USB port. Apparently Pinnacle no longer makes them. I have searched for several of the USB hardware encoders listed in the Capture Cards section, but so far most seem to be discontinued.

Anyone know of a device like this that is still being sold (in the US or Canada)?
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    most of these are usb mpeg 1/2/4

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380047%201685342852%20...name=USB%202.0

moviebox still available there i think.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. All of those listed, except one (ADS Tech Video & Audio Capture Device USBAV-709-EF USB 2.0), are NOT hardware Mpeg encoders. They simply provide video to USB input so your computer can convert the video using SOFTWARE.

I will look into the ADS however. Thanks.
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  4. kWORLD dvd maker 2 and EASY-CAP do what you want .. they capture in mpeg2 but converting that to mpeg1 is trivial (quick) on any modern machine. But these things are being sold off cheaply, £10 is one price I found (play.com)
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Modern CPUs won't even break a sweat with standard definition software MPEG1 encoding. Even a single threaded MPEG1 encoder can achieve 70 to 80 fps on my Core 2 Quad Q6600 with a 720x480 source. Multithreaded encoders can do twice that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks people, for the replies.

I am aware of the above info, I just need a hardware Mpeg1 encoder, period.

Even on my quad core 3Ghz with 8 gigs ram, it takes 40 minutes to convert two hours of DVD video into 2 hrs of Mpeg1. For a six hour job thats two hours to convert, not including copying the files from the DVD's.

With my Moviebox USB, I had the Mpeh1 files as soon as the shoot was over. I know Mpeg1 is from the stone ages, but tell that to the lawyers I work for!!!
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by leebo View Post
    Even on my quad core 3Ghz with 8 gigs ram, it takes 40 minutes to convert two hours of DVD video into 2 hrs of Mpeg1. For a six hour job thats two hours to convert, not including copying the files from the DVD's.
    Most software MPEG encoder capture cards encode on the fly while capturing. There's no need to convert afterward. The only difference (compared to a hardware encoder) is the greater CPU utilization while capturing. That could cause dropped frames if you're using the computer for something else while capturing. The video quality could be different. But it could just as well be better rather than worse.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Hauppauge USB2 PVR (and possibly its successor) does hardware MPEG1 encoding, down to rates as low as 400 Kbps (or less). The USB2 PVR is discontinued, but the HVR 1950 uses the Conexant CX23417 which is pretty much the same encoder, and per the Conexant website does MPEG1 also.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by RabidDog View Post
    kWORLD dvd maker 2 and EASY-CAP do what you want .. they capture in mpeg2 but converting that to mpeg1 is trivial (quick) on any modern machine. But these things are being sold off cheaply, £10 is one price I found (play.com)
    are you sure easycap does MPEG2 hardware encoding? without going through any other software?
    Quote Quote