VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Alright guys, just a quick q here. I want to backup a copy of a driving test dvd. Problem is, it's DVD-Rom. I've never dealt with this before. CloneCD seemed to copy it, but then because I didn't have any DVD-Rom disks it would't write. Do most shops sell DVD-Rom disks, and do you need a special drive or anything to be able to write to DVD-Rom? Thanks, sorry of my qeustion is a bit silly but I've not dealt with this.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 329329 View Post
    Alright guys, just a quick q here. I want to backup a copy of a driving test dvd. Problem is, it's DVD-Rom. I've never dealt with this before. CloneCD seemed to copy it, but then because I didn't have any DVD-Rom disks it would't write. Do most shops sell DVD-Rom disks, and do you need a special drive or anything to be able to write to DVD-Rom? Thanks, sorry of my qeustion is a bit silly but I've not dealt with this.

Thanks.
    Unless I'm really out-to-lunch here (and you're not talking about DVD-Ram, which is something else), a DVD is a DVD. It may be made on -R or +R media, Single Layer or Dual-Layer media, but that's about it. The ROM part has to do with whether you just have a reader optical drive (much less common in recent years), vs. a burner / reader in your computer. (Standalone DVD players will play back only.) The only other difference is that professional, commercial-release DVDs are usually stamped (akin to the way LP records were), rather than burned. But that's not really relevant. Even if the disc is copy-protected, with the right software you can rip it on to your computer. Then, you can burn yourself a backup copy onto DVD blank media, with your computer's burner.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 329329 View Post
    Problem is, it's DVD-Rom. I've never dealt with this before. CloneCD seemed to copy it, but then because I didn't have any DVD-Rom disks it would't write.
    What problem ?
    Every pressed dvd you have ever bought, regardless if it was video, audio, software, ect. is a DVD-ROM.

You just use a blank DVDR.
    Unless it is too large for a single layer dvdr then you either shrink the video to fot or buy some Dual Layer DVDR's.
    Quote Quote