VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a bunch of VHS tapes that i want to convert to digital so i bought a Toshiba dvr620 standalone player to burn them to dvd. I dont care much about the quality of the video as long as they are watchable. The thing is that i want to convert them to xvid h.264 or any other codec to archive them because i dont want any dvd discs everywhere.
    Ive been burning the dvds then putting them on my hard drive using dvd decrypter. Ive been using free converters to convert them to xvid but i am not happy the way im doing it. I want to know after i rip the dvd to the hard drive what do you guys recommend i do with the vob files. I want to know any filters to use and what software to get the best results.
    My vhs standalone player burns with 720x480 res on the quality i am using and im doing 6 hours tapes on 3 disks.
    any advice??
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    By the way the tapes are full with stuff i recorded from tv so they are not copy protected or anything
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use DVDdecrypter to burn them to an iso file then either use fairusewizard, or handbreak to convert to whatever specs you'd like.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    What specs do you recommend in handbrake.....can you use filters in handbrake
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The few times I have used it, I just used the default settings.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by joelasso View Post
    I dont care much about the quality of the video as long as they are watchable.
    I want to know any filters to use and what software to get the best results.
    I think first of all you need to decide what you actually want to achieve. One minute you're saying the quality doesn't matter, then it does!

My vhs standalone player burns with 720x480 res on the quality i am using and im doing 6 hours tapes on 3 disks.
    any advice??
    One bit of advice I'd add to what others have said, is that if quality is important, then record to disc at the highest quality (1 hour per disc usually) so that you are working from the best quality source when filtering and converting to your preferred format.

Nick
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM

Why do people always act as if blank DVDs are hundreds of dollars a piece? And who told these people that
    xvid or even h264 will be "archival" quality. And judging by the "I don't care" then "best results" comments
    it's almost as if someone told this guy that converting to xvid or h264 will improve the quality.
    Quote Quote  
  8. hech54
    You are so right

joelasso says the tapes are not CP
    Why doesn't he get a DVD recorder/player. Not just a player. they don't burn. Play the tapes into it and record

He allready recorded then to DVD He should be finished
    How did HE do that with a dvd player
    Last edited by LCSHG; 22nd Mar 2010 at 14:56. Reason: left out info
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Ok i want to make myself clear ,but before i just want to say that im from south america and i try to do my best to write in english so sorry if i wasnt clear.
    I have already a vhs/dvd dubbing deck and millions of disks , i just dont want to have them occupying physical space thats why i want them on xvid or whatever. I dont care about having the perfect results and to make myself more clear i wanted to say that i wanted to get the best quality possible without doing anything too difficult because i have lots of tapes. again my english is weak. I know how to use virtualdub but it wont accept vob files that i get when i use dvd decrypter. Also i want that these files to be a little more compressed than the 4.7gb of a dvd maybe 2gb files that i can cut and join in virtualdub because theres a lot of clips that i dont want. Is there any way that i can transfer these vob files to something that i can work with in virtualdub. I may seem old school because of the software im using and YES im old school.
    I own a snacks company here in south america and the money is good the weather perfect and im very happy.
    in other news hech54 you are and idiot and get a life.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Jelasso
    I’m sorry if my post would also seem offence
    I do understand the language problem

I can’t agree with the comment on hect54 His response to many posts is short and most often to the point. .

I doubt xivd would reduce the number of disks to by much if any with the same or equal bittrate
    You said millions of disks I take that to mean Many more than you want to deal with
    Also 4.7gb and 2gb You may be burning a DVD at 1 or 2 hr mode and could very well burn at a lower rate and save disks and space -- like LP or possibly lower ??? and retain the quality that wsd available or a quality that your ok with’

You might also look into a system that is more to your liking possibly [dvx] -???

Edit
    please ignore the refference to dvix an xvid i did get them all mixed u p
    and are not relevent to the issue
    Last edited by LCSHG; 22nd Mar 2010 at 21:15.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    virtualdub can handle vob files. You just need to use the virtualdubmod version, which is linked to on this site.

Nick
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    OK thanks for you reply....
    I initially thought about converting these .vob files to xvid because i have a oppo dvd player that handles xvid files to perfection but then i got a popcorn hour a200 media player that handles a lot of codecs. The thing is that in these tapes i have some stuff that i want to edit out and with virtualdub i cant edit with vob files . I tried using handbrake but the files that came out cant be edited with virtualdub also. I want to transfer them to a codec that i can work with in virtualdub then edit cut and join the files , maybe ill use some filters to remove some noise maybe encode them in x.264 and then save them on my 1.5gb external hard drive so i dont have to use discs and have everything in one place.
    Again thanks for the reply . Ive been a fan of this site since a long time ago but never decided to post because of language barriers but it is sad that on my first post (not perfect i know) i have those kinds of reply of sad people. Next time ill make sure i have a degree in english and maybe another one on video editing to post so i can please that kind of people. Its sad really.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks a lot Nick . I knew about virtualdubmod but i didnt know it could handle vob . Ill try it right now ..Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have cleaned the thread. Please try and behave.
    Quote Quote