VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have converted over 500 DVD's to MPG using VOB2MPGPRO and I am finding many MPG's skip ahead a few seconds/minutes which is very annoying.

I've converted the MPG to AVI (or even MPG2) -etc with another program and played back successfully without skipping ahead, however at the point(s) where the video skips (when playing the MPG) there is a digitised image (corruption) and the video keeps playing without skipping.

As this has happened with numerous (that I have checked) conversions I am concerned why this is happening....I have not checked all 500+ MPG's!

Can anyone help?
    Last edited by Stokesy; 10th Mar 2010 at 06:32.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried different software players to rule out that? Try VLC Media PLayer(it has a built mpg decoder).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I have tried VLC and Media Centre Classic -etc and they all do the same. I have also tried playing the MPG on different machines with different OS installation (Vista, XP, 7) and they all skip at the same point with different players. The issue is apparent that the conversion from VOB to MPG is corrupting at points and causing the video to skip when it reaches the point or corruption or whatever it is.

I am using DVDFab to get the DVD onto HDD and then VOB2MPG Pro to convert to MPG.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or a better way to get my DVD's onto my media centre. As it takes so long to compress to AVI DIVX I prefer converting to MPG as it is so fast in comparison.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Which mode did you use VOB2MPG in IFO ro VOB? Were you using the commandline?
    SVCD2DVD v2.5, AVI/MPEG/HDTV/AviSynth/h264->DVD, PAL->NTSC conversion.
    VOB2MPG PRO, Extract mpegs from your DVDs - with you in control!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use "IFO Mode" and have not used the command line yet.

I did some more testing tonight with a movie that was experiencing the problem of skipping and copied the DVD to HDD again and then converted to MPG. This time there was no problem with the MPG at the point I was originally experiencing the problem. My guess is it's a random fault converting to MPG. Some movies convert perfectly while others experience this issue of skipping and if you copy/convert them again eith er the problem is gone or it skips at a different location with the conversion to MPG. Playing the VOB files off HDD has no issues, it seems to be only after converting to MPG. I'm lost!!!

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? The quality is awesome but the skipping is so annoying.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is it possible that you used different builds? i.e an earlier build produced problematic mpegs and the most recent "test" was with a later build?

I have a new build in development which may be able to take the problematic mpegs and fix them. Let me get it to a robust point and then you can give it a try on one of your mpegs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The version I used for all my conversions was 3.0.0131

I'm about to upgrade to the latest that I just noticed is available for download (3.0.0520) and will use this going forward. I'll advise if this produces like problems. At the moment I'm simply re-converting any MPG's that have issues (which I assume will be many as I encounter them/watch them).

I have noticed if I use a program called "Ultra Video Joiner" to re-convert the faulty MPG (created with VOB2MPRPRO) to MPG2 format the video playes without skipping however at the points they skip you can see the corruption with image distortion and digitalisation for a brief second.

Very keen to test new build in development for you and see if this fixes the faulty MPG. When do you think this will be available to download?

I will persist for now.

Thanks for all your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Drop me an email and you can test it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great.....just email you at SVCD2DVD@svcd2dvd.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Email sent with the new build....
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK....installed and used Remux Mpegs to fix MPG and the video ends where the error is......so in other words when Remux gets to the error (which happens to be right near the end of this particular movie I'm testing for you) it ends the fix process and the movie chops off at this point and does not continue with the rest of the footage.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Remux log file sent via email
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Normal log file sent via email
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    +1

I too have this problem on many mpgs created using Vob2Mpg Pro.

I've only just noticed it, as until now I've been converting all my mpgs to DiVX and the error doesn't occur on the dvx file. It's only now that I'm 're-doing' my collection into native mpg that it has become apparent. Very frustrating to get to within 10 minutes or so of the end of the movie and for it to simply stop. I'm playing these mpgs using Linksys DMA2100 extenders and Xbox 360 extenders from my media centre pc elsewhere in the house - a great system, but really could do with this issue fixing.

Fingers crossed.

Thanx,

Phil
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Replying to myself now....

I see that the new build of Vob2Mpg Pro has a Remux capability which may help - I'll come back and let you know.

Thanx.
    Last edited by Mudmover; 2nd May 2010 at 12:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, now I'm confused. Just installed latest version of Vob2mpg Pro and can't find any option to Remux mpgs. I know I must be doing something wrong - can anyone tell me what it is?

Thanx.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Doh! Didn't realise batch Remux function was a seperate program! Found it now!

I had been launching Vob2Mpg Pro from link on Taskbar, so hadn't looked in folder!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Any joy?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunate for "Mudmover", however I'm slightly relieved I'm not the only person experiencing this issue of video skipping (or ending). I would imagaine the majority of users actually are experiencing this issue but jut not noticing as normally the video simply skips ahead a few frames or minutes and if you haven't watched the video before you may be unaware what is happening.

I tried the remux feature in the new release sent to me by "ChrissyBoy" and it does not resolve the problem. I have also since then found that probably 90% of my conversions have this problem and I got sick of it and wiped my whole library and started again keeping my VOB files rather than converting them ata all. As they take up the same space I'm happy to play DVD files via MediaBrowser plugin on Media Centre (Windows 7).

I now sit back and relax and watch a movie whithout the frustration of it skipping......guess I just got fed up.

Hope it get resolved for "Mudmover" sake and the many other users that I'm convinced are unaware of the issue.

I tried multiple OS and software versions with no luck. It does not matter what DVD you convert as the conversion issue is random....does not repeat the same skip at the same frame for each conversion.

To make matters worse.......I even had multiple sections of video from multiple video sources in my conversion file at one stage.....no idea how this happened (totally wierd).

Well......good luck
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Try using TsRemux to remux. Worked for me.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Well, its now almost 2014 and the problem still exists in the current version of VOB2MPG pro! I am running Windows 7 32 bit and I am experiencing jump ahead and sections from other movies randomly but at least every 2-3 I convert. Does anyone have a fix for this problem or do I have to look for replacement software to do this task? I do not have the problem ripping to other file formats with different software.

Thanks
    Ray
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The latest version of VOB2MPG PRO is 3.2.2000. Have you updated to that? Also, you can email the developer. He is good people, has always responded promptly to problems I have had with the program.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Thanks for the response Joey9. Yes I have been running the latest software. My main problem is scenes from a previous converted file being added even when the added scene is from a previous program session. This can only happen if VOB2MPG has a store that is not being cleaned down properly after each file convert or at the end of a session. Although this happened infrequently in Windows NT, Windows 7 has just made the program problematic and frankly useless for the type of conversions I am doing - I am using DVDFab 9 to decrypt and author into individual episode files on my HDD and then VOB2MPG to convert to MPG.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I also use DVDFab, as well as AnyDVD HD to rip my DVDs. Sometimes one is better than the other depending on the DVD I'm ripping. I rarely use VOB2MPG anymore, only in limited circumstances with some stubborn DVDs. What I do now is rip to VOBs and then I use Handbrake to transcode to MKV, sometimes MP4. Same thing for music CDs which I rip with Exact Audio Copy and then convert to FLAC.

I think it's a pretty good system as all the DVDs I've collected over the years, 264 of them so far, plus various TV series, are now in digital format which is portable, I can watch them in all my various devices; Zoom Player on my PC, MX Player Pro on my tablet and cell phone, and on my Dune HD media player on my home theatre system.

The way things are going, DVDs and Blu-rays look like they're on the road to becoming obsolete, like cassettes, LPs, and VCR did. Not soon but maybe 10 or 20 years from now. All video and music will eventually be in digital form.
    Last edited by Joey9; 16th Nov 2013 at 13:59. Reason: Spelling error.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I too am having this same problem and just realized it lately. The biggest offender seems to be Disney DVDs when I put them on our media server for my son to watch since I got sick of pulling the physical discs out all the time. I am using AnyDVD then VOB2MPG Pro on Windows 7 Pro.

I have been experimenting with TsRemux v.0.0.23.2 and have noticed that the preview screen in that program plays the files flawlessly. When I do the remux there is no difference from the original to the remuxed file.

Has anyone yet come up with a way to fix this problem of the skipping and jumping in the finished mpeg output from VOB2MPG? I can't believe it is only a few of us with this issue.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Ok I was just doing some more testing in TsRemux and it is clear that program uses Mplayer as its preview with the ffmpeg codec. I am willing to be if I had the standalone player it would be fine. Any other thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Ok it does seem like I am having a conversation with myself but I just wanted to share my final finding on this matter which may help others. It is not a cheap fix but I have found VideoRedo's QuickStream Fix corrects this issue. They have an 8 day trial so you can try it yourself. This feature is under the "Tools" tab.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Well I finally gave up on VOB2MPG pro and changed to Leawo video ripper software for ripping to MPG. Even though Leawo takes significantly longer to rip (end result is a higher quality, especially audio, resulting file size is about 10% bigger) and once you factor in the repeat rips to get a good one it turns out less time a hastle.
    Leawo also has a task queue capability which is very handy for those ripping multiple files at the same time.
    Quote Quote