VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello.
    I am carl, who is learning about computers for the past year, and thought it was about time i got a better understanding of DVD-R and how you put certain file types onto DVD-R

Sorry for my last post, being new to this i did not really no what was what........
    I'll start again, but i don't know where to start to learn about putting different types of file formats on to DVD-R so that you can play them in most modern DVD player's...

Example
    Cam corder film
    video clips
    mobile phone clips
    Any links would be great, to get a better understanding of how all this works
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Carl, your questions seems a bit vague, from what it sounds like you are wishing to create a dvds for a dvdplayer. This requires converting video files to dvd. There are many basic programs that can assist with this, Nero, Roxio, and Convertx2dvd can make this a simple process. Below is an example of using nero. Chose "make dvd", "import video files" "create a menu", or disable it, "preview your menu", and then burn to dvd, or you hard drive.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	nero5a.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	794Click image for larger version

Name:	nero5b.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	792
    .Click image for larger version

Name:	nero5c.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	795Click image for larger version

Name:	nero5d.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	791Click image for larger version

Name:	nero5e.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	793
    Last edited by lowellriggsiam; 10th Mar 2010 at 01:43.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks owellriggsiam.
    So its basically a program that does this for you, GREAT i'll look into them programs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might also look <<<---- over there under 'How to Author' and 'Lists: Tools'.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First off i would give the 'What is DVD' link at top left of homepage a look. I think you may be wise to consider an all-in-one dvd converter for the timebeing. Look in the 'Tools' section on the left. My personal recommendation would be DVD Flick as it ticks most of the boxes and is fairly straightforward to use. Good luck
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
    You might also look <<<---- over there under 'How to Author' and 'Lists: Tools'.
    Great thankyou olyteddy, just getting used to the site....cheer's

Originally Posted by thegeeman

First off i would give the 'What is DVD' link at top left of homepage a look. I think you may be wise to consider an all-in-one dvd converter for the timebeing. Look in the 'Tools' section on the left. My personal recommendation would be DVD Flick as it ticks most of the boxes and is fairly straightforward to use. Good luck
    Great i have downloaded DVD Flick, and just reading about how it works now, so basically this will convert all video files to a DVD-R, i'll try this with my camara clips....

But can you only put 1 clip on a dvd-r at a time
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM

No. You can put numerous clips on a dvd-r. The added bonus is that there is a menu for you to then select the clips once the project is finished and burnt to disc.

My suggestion is this. Create a working folder somewhere. Use just 2 small clips that you intend on using for your final dvd (time saving etc etc) are start using dvd flick to test them out. Once you are happy with output, then go ahead and create your disc with numerous clips. Would not recommend a mixture of PAL & NTSC clips on the same disc. Invest in a few dvd-rw's because errors will get made and at least these can be re-used
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    carl606, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thegeeman View Post

No. You can put numerous clips on a dvd-r. The added bonus is that there is a menu for you to then select the clips once the project is finished and burnt to disc.

My suggestion is this. Create a working folder somewhere. Use just 2 small clips that you intend on using for your final dvd (time saving etc etc) are start using dvd flick to test them out. Once you are happy with output, then go ahead and create your disc with numerous clips. Would not recommend a mixture of PAL & NTSC clips on the same disc. Invest in a few dvd-rw's because errors will get made and at least these can be re-used
    Absolutly brilliant thegeeman, 10 out of 10, DVD flick worked like a charm, i followed your advice, and i now have all my mobile phone clips and my camera clips on one DVD+RW, its a lot better watching them on a larger screen.

Thankyou for pointing me in the right direction thegeeman....
    PS

If i ever wanted to make another copy of this, would i just burn the VIDEO and AUDIO TS folders to disc

Originally Posted by redwudz
    in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    OK, redwudz will do...thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If i ever wanted to make another copy of this, would i just burn the VIDEO and AUDIO TS folders to disc
    Yes. Your DVD folder as been created so just burn off as many copies as you need.

Glad it all went well. Its good that you have posted back how it went because it will help someone else in the future who is also new to this. So many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thegeeman View Post
    Yes. Your DVD folder as been created so just burn off as many copies as you need.

Glad it all went well. Its good that you have posted back how it went because it will help someone else in the future who is also new to this. So many thanks.
    Yes you cannot really go wrong, i found if you print the guide of first this is a great help
    Quote Quote