VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have some 16/9 video captured from the TV at 1440x1080. I want to rencode to x264 and HDconverttoX doesn't want to know. Megui works fine, but it won't let me resize to 1920x1080 which is the 'stretched' size. It keeps reverting back and if i edit the avs script myself it won't encode at all. It's happy to resize to say 1280x720. Anyone know how i can resize to 1920x1080 please?
    Quote Quote  
  2. what do you mean it won't encode at all if you edit it?

make your own .avs script. maybe there is a bug with the script generator
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm not too au fait with creating scripts. So i took the avs that megui created from the dga file i made (it couldn't open the .ts file directly)
    thus

Import("F:\Genericdga.avs")
    #deinterlace
    #crop
    LanczosResize(1440,1080) # Lanczos (Sharp)
    #denoise

and changed it to

Import("F:\Genericdga.avs")
    #deinterlace
    #crop
    LanczosResize(1920,1080) # Lanczos (Sharp)
    #denoise

and b****r me - I retraced my steps to report exactly what happened - now it seems to be working fine. Perhaps i mistyped something when i did it last time. Sorry!
    Quote Quote  
  4. The efficient way to encode such a video would be encoding at 1440x1080 (no resizing at all) and using a flag to make it display at 16:9 (i.e. anamorphic encoding). That's probably what MeGUI was trying to do.

Resizing to 1920x1080 is just a big waste of bits.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well, that depends on what SAP you're using. I use a wdtv and anamorphic encoding is a PITA.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Bully9 View Post
    Well, that depends on what SAP you're using. I use a wdtv and anamorphic encoding is a PITA.
    From a brief googling it looks like there was a bug with anamorphic MKVs on the old WD TV, but it was fixed some time ago. (Even then, there was no problem with anamorphic MP4s.) Which version is yours?

I'd be quite shocked if the WD TV Live couldn't handle anamorphic encodes...that would be pretty laughable, and sink the device.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Any HDMI connection to my TV disables my screen sizing functions. I've always ripped avis to actual size and i think that's the safest solution. Employed on 90+ % of all the mkv/avis "out there" so i guess it can't be such a bad idea Appreciate your input.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Bully9 View Post
    Any HDMI connection to my TV disables my screen sizing functions. I've always ripped avis to actual size and i think that's the safest solution. Employed on 90+ % of all the mkv/avis "out there" so i guess it can't be such a bad idea Appreciate your input.
    The "actual size" is 1440x1080, and the "display aspect ratio" is 16:9.

AVIs are ripped to square pixels for compatibility purposes, because AVI is an ancient container format. MKV and MP4, on the other hand, are modern containers built to offer proper anamorphic display, so there's no reason to resize when encoding to those. It's a bad idea quality-wise, but I gather all the encoders out there don't really care about that.

edit: Since you're just encoding for yourself I guess wasting bits doesn't matter to you. In that case, see if clever anamorphic encoding is enabled in MeGUI and disable it. Then you'll be able to resize to whatever you want, I think.
    Last edited by creamyhorror; 11th Mar 2010 at 04:35.
    Quote Quote