VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello there...

I just bought a brand new sony dvd player DVP-NS628P.Now I want to play DivX videos with external subtitle file(with usb memory or disk,it doesn't matter). first naming subtitle file as same as video file name and place it beside of video file(.avi) after playing video everything is ok and it plays fine but with no subtitle! even if I press subtitle button on remote, system says 'no subtitle recorded". I tried srt and sub/idx format. please help me on this.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First off not all divx players play external subs, secondly when you renamed the sub file is it possible you inadvertantly deleted the ".sub" file extension? Possible that they are damaged in some way? ( you can test this by opening them in subtitle workshop). They are in the same folder?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your answer but I've checked all of those and every thing is ok and i can play the movie with subtitle on my computer via mediaplayer(I installed VobSub).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Simply because it works on your pc doesn't mean it will work on your dvd player. Have you thus far gotten any sub files to play in the manner you described?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Finally i can played with subtitle, but seems it only supports .srt with ANSI/UNICODE encoding not big endian and little endian encoding nor sub/idx format!!!
    the language of subtitle that i want to play is complex script(persian) but when i place a unicode persian subtitle (.srt) beside of video it is loaded but the chars doesn't display correct. in this situation all people use sub/idx because of non-text phrases... and now my question is that how to play sub/idx in my player!?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You have several possible problems here.

1) Some DVD players don't support SUB/IDX very well. Some don't support it at all. SRT works best.
    2) Where did you buy your DVD player? DVD players sold outside of the Middle East often only support a limited number of subtitle character sets. In North America and Europe only Latin character sets and maybe Cyrillic and Greek might be supported. In Asia you might find support for Chinese, Korean, Japanese and Latin character sets, but nothing else.
    3) Unicode SRT is almost never supported regardless of where you bought your DVD player.
    4) If you edit an SRT file on a non-Windows system, the DVD player may not understand the end of line character and refuse to play the file. This is only a problem on text based subtitles like SRT and not on SUB/IDX.
    Quote Quote  
  7. thanks for your time jman98,
    1)I think my player in the category that doesn't support sub/idx at all.
    2,3) I bought DVD player in IRAN and it has persian support in setting, but i don't know why it doesn't show srt chars.
    4)I tried both end line character,\r,\n,\r\n but it doesn't seem its fault.

Now i have a question,I checked the appropriate page of sony DVP-NS628P but found nowhere anything about subtitle format that this device is supporting.I checked the manual as well but no luck. actually where can we find technical detail about supported format of subtitles?
    Quote Quote