VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys, I'm trying to make the switch to open source/freeware (is there a difference?) and I need some knowledgeable person to guide me to the right option. There's a list of such programs, but most of them appear to be have been coded for linux or other open source OSes (I use windows 7). my options, as I see them, are

AviSynth (I'm not sure I can get used to script-based editing),
    Cinelerra
    ..or wait till VLMC comes out.

My video editing is limited to FRAPSed footage of world of warcraft, I don't need anything very fancy...probably the most complex task I know how to perform is changing the speed of a clip (which Adobe make ridiculously easy)

Also, I need something that can output with h.264 (or similar quality). I know I could just render it as an uncompressed avi then use another program to render, if need be.
    Any thoughts?
    Last edited by metathran; 7th Mar 2010 at 12:28. Reason: CLARITY
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Open source means the code that is used for the program is freely available. Freeware may not have the code available.

What are you planning to edit? What formats? I find VirtualDub handles most of my AVI type editing.

And what OS are you using? It would help to add at least that to your computer details so we might have some ideas of what to suggest.
    Quote Quote  
  3. edited, sorry about that
    Quote Quote