VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello. I was wondering if it is possible to finalize DVDs on a different DVD recorder if it's from the same brand. We have a Panasonic DVD recorder (Model number DMR-ES45V) which we recorded DVDs on, but it broke down on us. I haven't gotten a clear answer so far, so i was wondering if it is possible to finalize these discs on another Panasonic recorder or not. If it isn't, is there any possible alternatives? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I think some need to be the exact same model but others may not, sorry for the unclear answer but i am sure someone here will know for sure.

If not, i have used ISObuster pro to extract the video off of un-finalized disc's that were recorded on a panny recorder.
    I think others have recommended other programs but i have always used ISObuster
    Quote Quote  
  3. It varies somewhat from brand to brand, and sometimes depends on how old your recorder is (some brands stopped making their own machines a couple years ago and now outsource to different mfrs).

Panasonic still makes all its own recorders, and I've heard from Panasonic users that they all remain compatible for finalizing.

Pioneer stopped making 100%-Pioneer recorders in 2006, when they switched from their own hardware to a co-production scheme with Sony, yet somehow managed to retain finalizing compatibility. Every Pioneer made between 2003-2008 will finalize each others discs. The current Canadian Sony RDR-HX780 can finalize Pioneer discs, as can the European Sony RDR-HXx80 and x90 series.

Toshibas made before 2006 are true Toshiba, models after 2006 (especially those in North America without the HDD feature) are made by Funai (which also supplies Phillips and Magnavox). Older Toshibas are not compatible with the new models, but newer Toshibas are cross-compatible with Phillips and Magnavox.

JVCs prior to 2006 are true JVCs, those after 2006 are made by LG. However, the original JVCs used LG burners anyway, so there is some compatibility for finalizing. Older JVCs can also finalize Panasonic discs, as JVC and Panasonic develop products in tandem.

Etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To confirm what Orsetto said, Yes, a newer Panasonic will finalize your '06 ES-45v unfinalized discs. One catch though is if your unfinalized discs were damaged by your ES-45v due to spindle slippage. If that's the case and you had a failure during editing or finalizing on your ES-45v those discs will more than likely never be finalizable (except maybe using a PC as Noatock mentioned).
    What are the symptoms of your ES-45v? If it's making grinding noises during finalizing or editing discs it may only need a spindle cleaning, a 15 minute job. The new equivalent Panasonic DVDR to your ES-45v would be the oh so non equivalent EZ-48v. The 48v is a VERY buggy and quirky model not nearly the quality of your ES-45v which IMO is one of the best combos Panasonic made.
    If your can't get your ES-45v working and your could do without the VCR part I'd suggest a Panasonic EZ-28 which just lacks the VCR. It's proven to be more reliable and less buggy than the EZ-48v but still has some bugs, not present in your ES-45v. Another option if you could do without the tuner would be the least buggy EA-18(VHS less, tunerless) or if you needed the VCR and could do without a tuner then I'd suggest the EA-38.
    The newer Panasonics tend to be a little quirky but the tuner adds the brunt of the bugs/quirks so if you can do without it you're better off. I owned a EZ-28 for 3 months and only had a few minor events, I owned a EZ-48v for a weekend and promptly returned it.
    Note if you use RAM discs and like to shorten title non of the newer EZ/EA recorders have that handy feature! Don't ask why, I'd suspect a cost cutting measure.

You could also look around for a used ES series Panasonic, I'd suggest a '05 or '06 ES series or if you wanted the holy grail you could go for a new international HDD Panasonic which sells for less than what your ES-45v did new and adds the incredibly handy HDD. Note it doesn't have a tuner for US use but works just fine for line input recordings and again will finalize your discs. The international ES series have none of the bugs or limitations of the US EZ series. Here's a few links to check out:
    Spindle cleaning thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14479898#post14479898
    Panasonic repair thread, note they may not want to fix your ES-45v under the $130 flat rate repair and instead offer you a equivalent newer product(EZ-48v)! I'd promptly refuse that offer. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14451738#post14451738
    Thread I started talking about the various new and old Panasonic DVDRs http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1134909

Good luck on whatever you do!
    Quote Quote  
  5. YES
    Just one case and there may be others
    The ilo 04 series are liteon -- The ilo 05 is a Cyberhome and is NOT Comparable to the Liteon or ilo 04 series .
    The ilo R05 units have and [my opinion] produce a better thumbnail display than the liteon//ilo o4
    A a burned but not finalized disk from a liteon 5045 - 5005 or an ilo RHD04 on R04 can be finalized in Any of these machines --

- IF Such a disk is placed in a 05
    The 05 will say [This disk not produced in this recorder and do you want to proceed Yes - NO]
    If you say Yes - It will finalize the disk but change the file format And use the ilo 05 display.
    Such a disk will play in all players --- If NO - the operation is stopped and the disk is left as is .
    I Don’t know if the 05 will do the same with other units
    NOTE
    [A liteon/ilo unit Will NOT finalize a Disk Burned In A ilo 05
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Hello again. I just wanted to thank everyone for your quick and informative answers. We just got a new Panasonic DVD recorder, and it plays and finalizes the old discs just fine! Thanks again!
    Quote Quote