VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have a DV AVi captured. I run it trough DVdate to get the date code.
    I can save the date code to SRT, but cant position them.
    I would like to position them to the left bottom, like all the traditional homevideo date code's.

Is there some way to do this? I rather dont want to hard code the date in the video.
    The flag once raised will never fall!
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can position text if you use the .ASS subtitle format, but then you'll probably want to remux to MKV (which can accept .ASS subs). The major .ASS editor is Aegisub.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by creamyhorror View Post
    You can position text if you use the .ASS subtitle format, but then you'll probably want to remux to MKV (which can accept .ASS subs). The major .ASS editor is Aegisub.
    Thanks for your response. Will play around with it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can also do it with subresync (comes with vobsub) for srt files.

Basically, it will create a file called filename.srt.style. The contents will look something like this:
    Code:
    ScriptType: v4.00+
    PlayResX: 1280
    PlayResY: 720

[V4+ Styles]
    Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, OutlineColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, Underline, StrikeOut, ScaleX, ScaleY, Spacing, Angle, BorderStyle, Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Encoding
    Style: Default,Tahoma,48,&H00ffffff,&H0000ffff,&H00000000,&H80000000,0,0,0,0,100,100,0,0.00,0,1,0,2,20,20,20,1
    I actually use the above file and just have a copy script that creates a .style file for each of my srt files. You can use it to adjust positioning, font, font size, shading, etc etc. The comma delimited portion below [V4+ Styles] describes what each of the fields controls. The fifth field from the end 2,20,20,20,1 is what sets the screen position.

Position on TV screen:
    7 8 9
    4 5 6
    1 2 3

Font size is controlled by both the Fontsize parameter and the PlayResX, PlayResY values.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by txporter View Post
    You can also do it with subresync (comes with vobsub) for srt files.

Basically, it will create a file called filename.srt.style. The contents will look something like this:
    Code:
    PlayResX: 1280
    PlayResY: 720

[V4+ Styles]
    Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, OutlineColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, Underline, StrikeOut, ScaleX, ScaleY, Spacing, Angle, BorderStyle, Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Encoding
    Style: Default,Tahoma,48,&H00ffffff,&H0000ffff,&H00000000,&H80000000,0,0,0,0,100,100,0,0.00,0,1,0,2,20,20,20,1
    I actually use the above file and just have a copy script that creates a .style file for each of my srt files. You can use it to adjust positioning, font, font size, shading, etc etc. The comma delimited portion below [V4+ Styles] describes what each of the fields controls. The fifth field from the end 2,20,20,20,1 is what sets the screen position.

Position on TV screen:
    7 8 9
    4 5 6
    1 2 3

Font size is controlled by both the Fontsize parameter and the PlayResX, PlayResY values.
    Thanks for your response as well.
    I've tried Aegisub, and like it. I don't like commands, I understand most things you said but I rather use Aegisub.
    Aegisub is also all in one, can do lots of advanced things with it.

Only I can't find a way to apply the position to every frame/time. How to apply the position for all timings in the sub?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Actually, txporter's suggestion seems good. Aegisub uses the same style format. If you open an .ASS file in Notepad, you'll see at the top:
    [Script Info]
    ; Script generated by Aegisub 2.1.7
    ; http://www.aegisub.net
    Title: Default Aegisub file
    WrapStyle: 0
    PlayResX: 640
    PlayResY: 480
    ScaledBorderAndShadow: yes
    Video Aspect Ratio: 0
    Video Zoom: 6
    Video Position: 0
    Last Style Storage: Default

[V4+ Styles]
    Style: 480pSub,Eras Medium ITC,32,&H00FFFFFF,&H000000FF,&H00000000,&H00000000 ,-1,0,0,0,110.22,100,0.5,0,1,2,0.5,2,100,100,20,0
    Style: 480pSub-CN,WenQuanYi Micro Hei,31,&H00FFFFFF,&H000000FF,&H00000000,&H00000000 ,0,0,0,0,110.22,100,0.5,0,1,2,0.5,2,100,100,16,0
    As you can see, it's the same format. So all you have to do is adjust the style to what you like in Aegisub, save it, open the .ASS file in Notepad, copy out the above sections, and save it as a new .srt.style file. Then you can apply the same styling to every video file you have.

Originally Posted by Abas-Avara View Post
    Only I can't find a way to apply the position to every frame/time. How to apply the position for all timings in the sub?
    Define a new style using Subtitles > Styles Manager, then select all the lines you want to apply it to, and change "Default" (in the dropdown box next to "Comment") to the style you created. After that, to change the style, simply change it in Style Manager and the changes will apply to everything labeled with that style.

Remember, you need to install any fonts you select before they'll show up in your media player. (Or you can mux the fonts into the MKV as an attachment, if you prefer, and they'll show correctly whether they're installed or not.)
    Last edited by creamyhorror; 6th Mar 2010 at 05:18.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for my late reply. I've tried in the weekend but had no luck, till now I didn't really had time.
    But I'm gonna try again the above method.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I must be stupid, I cant figure it out.
    The position I want is {\fscx251.25\fscy260\pos(182,432)} with big fonts (48)
    But I cant figure a way adding it with the styles manager...

My scripting is very poor, I've tried some copy and pasting, but the program says there is no style.
    What I actually wanted is to select the sub (with the right position) and then, just add that in styles manager.
    I cant really put decent settings in the styles manager.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Abas-Avara View Post
    I must be stupid, I cant figure it out.
    The position I want is {\fscx251.25\fscy260\pos(182,432)} with big fonts (48)
    But I cant figure a way adding it with the styles manager...

My scripting is very poor, I've tried some copy and pasting, but the program says there is no style.
    What I actually wanted is to select the sub (with the right position) and then, just add that in styles manager.
    I cant really put decent settings in the styles manager.
    No, the Styles Manager doesn't use any scripts/commands. Create a new style by clicking on "New" in the Styles Manager. After that you can apply it to any/every line in your script.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for my late reply.
    First of all thank you creamyhorror & txporter. I have worked it out.

I have copied the position command and used copy pasting.
    There arent' that many lines for date code (only date - month - year, so no time).
    Vegas doesn't export with original date-code, so I can't really add the original PM time (with seconds etc)...

But this is enough for me, thank you for all the help!
    Quote Quote