VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A few years ago, I converted my VHS tapes to DVDs. Initially, I used various programmes, with some Virtualdub filters. The best results that I got was to play the videos on my VHS machine that was connected to the DVD recorder and write it to disc.

I wanted to edit short pieces recently and to my horror, most of these DVDs do not want to play either on the DVD player/recorder or on my laptop or PC. I also wanted to store all my DVDs on my newly bought external hard drive.

I tried various programs to capture the DVDs to my hard drive- Pinnacle Studio 12; DVD decrypter; DVD Shrink; DVD Fab version 6; but no luck.

So, I decide that I will restart the copying from VHS (PAL) to DVD/mpeg2; using my new Canon Legria HDV camcorder as the "converter", but a lot of the videos dont want to play on my current video player- it seems as if the tracking is out (remote also gone!!)

So 2 questions:
    1. Is there another way/programme to copy these DVDs to my hard drive?
    2. Or, should I look around for a 2nd hand good VCR as described above (Should it be a S VHS VCR for better quality?)
    Thanks for any suggestions
    Albie (Remember I'm from South Africa-PAL 25 fps)

I use Windows 7
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVDs recorded on a DVD recorder must usually be finalized (typically on the same unit they were recorded on) before they will play on another DVD player. If you have not finalized these discs you will need to do so before they can be played and ripped.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I usually finalize, but might not have done so, having copied so many- will definately go and check- still have the same DVD recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That was the answer- not all were finalized. Thanks!

Now the question of backing these DVDs up on the external hard drive.
    1. Should I go the ISO route or Video TS?
    2. And what are good programmes to back these up?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. ISO.
    2. ImgBurn

If you want reasons why, read this: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/showthread.php/why-iso-1849.html
    That explains it pretty well, no need to retype what's already available to read.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote