VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. HI Gurus!

I have a fairly fresh win XP installation with a fully functional LG DVD-ROM. Until yesterday that is :(
    I installed a CD-RW (also LG). XP found new hardware and seemed to install it properly, however after a reboot both units are maked as non working in the hardware list. I have tried to uninstall and let windows reinstall them, but windows complains about the drivers not working. When I try to update the drivers it says the current drivers are up to date.

During the same day I installed ASPI drivers, could this be the problem?

What to do??

Any help appreciated!

Regards,
    Simmayor
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is it possible that you are using a motherboard for AMDs with VIA chipset? It seems like in combination with a Sound Blaster Live there come some ugly conflicts with the IDE controllers which **** anything up badly. Had the same problem here and without fiddeling on the BIOS settings you won't get anywhere. You can try installing the latest drivers + BIOS update, but I doubt it'll help...

Otherwise. Did you make plug the DVD on the board the wrong way (both drives are on one channel and both are masters or slaves)?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Im running a P4@1600MHz. But I'd better check the BIOS settings anyway. It's strange though, cause windows do detect both drives, but none is useable.

The drives are connected to the same IDE-bus, one as Master and the other as Slave. Sounds like I have to try different combinations here as well.

XP is my suspect, haven't heard too much good about it.

Thanx.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Microsoft did release a patch for their WinXP IDE Driver some time ago. Test it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Guest
    I'll look into that.

Thanx again.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Update:

Tried different combinations: only DVD-ROM/CD-RW connected to IDE-bus, forced windows to recreate used driver files (CDROM.SYS etc.), still not working. If I uninstall the units and let windows search for new hardware it will find both, but is for some reason unable to install the drivers properly. BUT using VCDEasy w/ CDRDAO and ASPI driver works great!

Strange behavior! I think some program (perhaps a failed installation of Roxio EasyCDC) has messed up XP somewhere, so I figure reinstallation of XP is the only way to go.

BTW
    I Never found that IDE-driver patch for XP. :(
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes!

Finally got it working, without reinstalling win XP! It was Easy CD creator that messed up the windows registry. (Uninstall, yeah right!)

Here's how to solve it:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314060

The path in my case wasn't the exact same as in the example above, but easily found when you know what to look for.

Case closed!

:)
    Simmayor
    Quote Quote  
  8. **** easy cd creator.. jesushit
    Quote Quote  
  9. lol,
    jeex says it all :P
    Quote Quote