Page 2 of 27
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. who needs to calm down virtual?? who were you refering to
    but i never said that i put the svcd on 2cds
    i said that i put it on one cd
    just try it for me virtual
    take an asf file and follow the instructions
    and tell me you dont get a way smaller size and the same quality on your dvd player in SVCD quality
    if ONE person tells me it does not work for them i'll give up and you can close the topic
    just try it
    trust me it works
    Y2Flyy

2. hey, anybody who has tried this, if i burn it to the cd, can i play the svcd on my computer?

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    where can I download the old version of windows Media tools? I downloaded the 7.1 encoder (portuguese version) and cant find the old one (even english version)?

I am able only to convert AVI to WMV files, not ASF...

4. yeah same thing happened to me fred that newer version does not work with me either
    but to get the one that work
    goto vcdhelp.com how to convert to asf
    and it has the older version
    works perfect

5. y2flyy, what mpeg2 codec are you using? I know some mpeg2 codecs dont work well esp. with audio synching such as Elecard or Lingos. Can you tell me what mpeg2 codec you are using and where to download it so i can try this 1CD thingy? It sounds quite fascinating! Thanks!

6. IT's me again.

2 hr of movie onto 1 cd.

I have the temps to do it i made but the 2 hr temp quality is definitely, in the eye of perfection, not comparable as to saying- is this the actual dvd?!?!

Because of my processor speed on my pc for right now, i cannot do testing of movies 2 hr+ but i have made a temp that works the same way as the max perfection process i use for my guides\temps.

However, the longer the movie onto 1 cd, the less quality, thats the only thing i am saying bout that.

Now, avi-asf-mpg or even asf-mpg is ridiculous.

Have u ever heard that microsofts windows media encoder has preset temps for near vhs and near dvd quality?

In the eye of perfection, this is ridiculous-

I have the encoder and near dvd is ONLY 500 kbps! When i used that for a tv cap from a dvd vid, it was under vhs quality.

So i tested its stakes at 2000 kbps and still yet, this time only vhs quality.

ASF and wmv work like the same and it blends colors and smooths out the movie to turn it into a vhs like video, which if ur source is dvd, this sucks big time.

the less times u have to encode, the better.

Thats my 2 cents and i cant think of anything else bout that.
    ShiZZZoN PzN

Everyday is another payday and I am one step closer to becoming the one.

7. also, WME 7.1 is the best as for encoding to wmv if u want to do that for some reason cuz u can choose to use wm8 codecs.

Also, to go to asf-

Get Sonic Foundry's Stream Anywhere OR....
    Sonic Foundry's(now part of Microsoft) Media-on-demand producer ---------------which is freeware from microsofts site

And if u want to edit out ur asfs in v-dub, get version 1.3c
    ShiZZZoN PzN

8. These magical template boys are sure starting to sound like that S guy.

I wonder if they have any concept of quality or are they simply adolescent average joes.

9. hey speedy thats a good question man i put so many codecs on my pc i forget which is which
    but from what i remember i think i use the KS-Codecs Pack
    i hope that helps
    if not let me know
    and my goodness the notorious sean madison
    whats up man
    you have a good history of helping me out
    but i did not understand what the hell you were talking about
    i had ya but i lost you
    my reply to you is have you or anyone thought to convert an asf instead of avi to mpeg or mpeg2 to decrease file size??
    my last svcd i made today when i encoded state property which was about 90mins long
    and I upped the bitrate from 2000kbs to 2500kbs for the svcd temp
    when i encoded the avi file the output was 1.3 gbs
    and when i encoded the asf file (i convert avi to asf) the mpeg2 file was
    only 790mbs and i was able to fit it on to ONE cd!!
    now can you tell me you were ever able to stream 2500kbs bitrate and burn it to one cd using anything (vcd,svcd,xvcd,etc.....)
    I doubt it b/c ive never done it
    and again the quality was svcd standard down the line
    but whats still funny is that the asf source mpeg2 still will not play on my pc using anything
    but it plays in my dvd player
    can anyone explain that??
    Y2Flyy

10. the S guy? thats me ShiZZZoN.

I can DEFINITELY say that whatever the topic starter is goin by is sure not my temps.

going from asf-mpg is not my style in terms of high perfection.

I just hope no one who has received my new temps recently comes on here claiming them to be there own.

I am suppose to be gettin my new xp2000 in bout 2 months after i buy everything for it and when that time comes, then i do realy hardcore testing on 1 hr 45 min on up.

I got the temps for up to 2 hrs but they havent been full tested, just theoretical quality.

Anyone who has used the temps over 1 hr 45 min to 2 hr, of course give me a holla and tell me how it turned out cuz i gotta be honest, with my 600 mhz processor right now, it said it would take 48 hrs! to do this movie not too long ago.

You know what we will probably be seein on here by the end of this yr to early next year?

tons of dvd conversion questions.

Gotta think about it. Within a year, the forum may have to be changed for parts as major as the conversion thing is now to dvd conversion.
    Have a part for vcd\svcd conversion as just a small part since hopefully by next yr, we will be buyin dvd or blue ray burners, whatever is better for the money.
    ShiZZZoN PzN

11. I thought I was confused before!!! Now I have no idea how to make a VCD or an SVCD :evil:

12. TO : Y2FLYY
    INCASE , I HAVE ASF MEDIA FILE ....
    1. HOW YOU PUT ASF FILE TO SVCD TEMPLATE ?
    2. YOU BURN ASF NOT MPEG2 IN YOUR SVCD ? REALLY ?
    3. STANDARD DVD CONSOLE CAN PLAY IT ?
    THANK YOU , FROM ASIA.

13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    y2flyy--

I once ripped a borrowed DVD to asf and later burned the asf to SVCD in order to watch it on my television set, and noticed the same phenomenon that you are mentioning. However, I was hardly impressed with the resulting video quality. The reason why you are able to cram a whole movie of that size has to do with a. your settings and b. asf files in general. ASF's tend to emphasize smoothness over sharpness compared to other mpeg-4 formats like DivX. I noticed this while comparing rips done at the same bitrate using div 3.11 with Virtual Dub and Windows Media Encoder 7.0. The Windows Media files looked as if somebody smeared Vaseline on them, even at the "clearest images" setting. So, you end up with a really smooth video. Guess what---MPEG hates sharp lines--they take up a ton of bits and will end up looking blurry and artifact-y at certain (lower) bitrates. So, your smooth asf video may result in an encode with fewer artifacts and a lower bitrate than a sharp vob rip (using VBR, of course--CBR results in the same file size regardless of the source)! Also, you have your quality setting in the 50's, with a minimum bitrate of 300kbps (according to your template you posted, correct me if I am looking at the wrong one). I would venture to guess that the encoder is "hanging out" in the 600-700kbps range, since asf is not that great of quality and doesn't require a ton of bits to accurately encode (GIGO). A 2000kbps CBR stream, on the other hand, would take up 250KB/sec x 60sec x 120min=1757MB (and that's not counting audio). Note that I am not cricitizing you here--just explaining the process behind your method. If you or anybody else likes this method, by all means use it--do whatever works for you. For me that happens to mean 2-3 CD rips Anything is possible. . . I can fit the Matrix on a 128MB compactflash card to watch on my PDA with stereo sound and rather good video quality. .if I lower the video quality and go mono with the audio, I can get it down to about 60MB! That's 13 hours of video on 1 CD-R. . so 2 hours is trivial. The quality is what has to pass muster.

14. How can u say converting a 600kbps DivX 2 uncompliant SVCD @ 2000kbps is crap. My Theory on this is if the source is only 600kbps and the result is 2000kbps How can the quality of the result differ from the source if no information from the source is discarded? The result should look identical 2 the source +/- the differences in the format of course. I think an SVCD looks much better then a DivX could ever look even at the DivX highest quality

posted by scissors

divx to anything is crap because the bit rate is not there. you are take 600Kbs and re-encoding to 2000Kbps.
    Computers

15. The XP2100+ should b out in a few weeks

Originally Posted by sean madison
    the S guy? thats me ShiZZZoN.

I am suppose to be gettin my new xp2000 in bout 2 months after i buy everything for it and when that time comes, then i do realy hardcore testing on 1 hr 45 min on up.

16. There is no way u could get 790mbs on 1 80 minute cd which can only hold about 703mbs of data when overburned

Originally Posted by y2flyy
    and I upped the bitrate from 2000kbs to 2500kbs for the svcd temp
    when i encoded the avi file the output was 1.3 gbs
    and when i encoded the asf file (i convert avi to asf) the mpeg2 file was
    only 790mbs and i was able to fit it on to ONE cd!!

Y2Flyy

17. This is not magic by any means. The first thing that needs to be understood is that a dvd player and a tv are a far better set of devices to watch a movie than ANY video card and PC monitor. TV's are designed to remove noise of all kinds and have many features to accomplish this task. A PC monitor is designed to produce every little pixel to perfection. If movies were as simple as showing every little pixel then a pc could be as good, but movies are not made this way. Movies are made to give impressions and not simply crystal clear results.

Producing an asf results in a major reduction in the 'noise' of the video. This is usually seen as a loss of quality by someone using a pc monitor. The conversion of a low bitrate asf to svcd can be done without losing anything. When you take the resulting svcd and play it on your tv it will look better than it looks on your pc. This is because a tv is far better at playing video's than a pc is.

Any process that removes 'noise' can reduce size. In your example you used an asf conversion. It is possible to reduce noise in many ways. For example, the noise reduction feature in Tmpgenc can reduce the video size. You do not have to use it to the point that you can even see a difference to achieve this result!

A tv will reduce noise regardless of the source. This includes dvd sources! Since your tv is removing noise after the fact, if you encode with reduced noise it can be controlled to allow a reduction in overall size while losing little or even none of the quality of the final tv picture.

Using a pc for quality comparisons can be a bad idea. This comparison does not hold up to what will appear on TV/dvd player setup. Two svcd's that look very different on a pc may both play with the same quality on a TV.

As for results that match your example here, I offer 'The Mexican'. A beautiful 1 disc svcd that plays back at ~90% of the dvd quality on my system! To create it I used the Tmpgenc svcd film template v2.02, adjusting the cq value to 40, and the motion search precision to 'very slow'. I prefer to leave the bit rate settings at the defaults of 0 and 2520 to allow for high action and sustained slow motion. This svcd has scenes that look terrible on my pc but play perfectly on my tv.

18. Originally Posted by Chris X
    There is no way u could get 790mbs on 1 80 minute cd which can only hold about 703mbs of data when overburned
    [
    and with that statement you disqualified yourself from any serious debate on the subject.

You don't even realise that there is two parts to a (s)VCD disc do you?
    You even sure if i said ISO you'd know what that was.

for your information video discs lay mpeg down as a track, with a different packet size than that you read in windows.

19. i emailled baldrick a 30sec sample.

It's 3.77Mb so 1 min = 7.54Mb.

Devide that into 800Mb(you can put that much on a 80min disc) =
    106 mins.

This was a quick one i knocked up that took less than 15 mins to do.
    the CQ value was 50, with a B picture spoilage of 40. the gop was 1, 12, 4. audio 96KBps. joint stereo.

20. The max file size to put on a cd before overburn is 794-795 MB.

Here are a couple of cds that i have done overbrun tests on and their max file size capability-

Circuit City brand- 826 MB
    Memorex- 824 MB
    Fujifilm- 828 MB
    ShiZZZoN PzN

21. I use memorex and i seem to remember squeezing 840mb. But it overburned to abou 81.5 mins.

I now stick to 800 Meg which is around 78-79 mins.

(in my experience)

22. Originally Posted by Bigswaffo
    hey, anybody who has tried this, if i burn it to the cd, can i play the svcd on my computer?
    yes - windvd

23. Originally Posted by bbb
    These magical template boys are sure starting to sound like that S guy.

I wonder if they have any concept of quality or are they simply adolescent average joes.
    thanks for your input

24. hey guys thanks alot for your input
    to answer a few questions
    to SAYON
    you first have to convert the asf file using tmpenc to mpeg2
    you have to burn the mpeg2 to svcd

and videoguy and quietnewbie you made some very good points but i experiment sometimes with kingviper's temp
    i usually raise the bar from 50 to 75-80 but i have nt seen any difference
    in quality on my dvd player
    so im starting to just convert it using the default of 50
    what really gets me excited is playing the svcd on my tv and the quality is exactly the same as any of my svcd that ive ever made
    using any template at high bitrates
    but this only takes ONE cd from the asf source file
    Y2Flyy

25. 1st off. Actually I have tried myself 2 overburn an VCD mpeg that were about 720 megs on 80 minute /700mb disk and were only able 2 squeeze about 708megs cutting off the last remaining 10 minutes +/- of the video. I looked underneath the disk after I poped it out of my cd burner and there was NO Space left on the disk. So how can u say u can get over 800 megs of data on this disk when there simply is not enough room? 2nd of all Very few cd burners if any at all r even capable of doing such a complishment. The CD Burner has about 99% chance of getting damaged do 2 misalighnemt because they r not designed for burning that much data on 1 disk. 3rd. If the disk were capable of 800 megs. They would b called 800meg disks or 750meg disks.

ALL of these arguments, including the fact I have been a member of some very popular and even some underground CD-R forums for over 2 years.

but my 2nd and 3rd argument is not really necessary 2 point as as my 1st argument. There were no more blank space left 2 burn on the disk after 708megs... I looked myself.

Yes I know what an ISO is

Originally Posted by scissors
    Originally Posted by Chris X
    There is no way u could get 790mbs on 1 80 minute cd which can only hold about 703mbs of data when overburned
    [
    and with that statement you disqualified yourself from any serious debate on the subject.

You don't even realise that there is two parts to a (s)VCD disc do you?
    You even sure if i said ISO you'd know what that was.

for your information video discs lay mpeg down as a track, with a different packet size than that you read in windows.
    Computers

26. this post is about Super vcd if i remember correctly.

yeah, basically 10/min on vcd. but only you are talking vcd.

27. Originally Posted by scissors
    this post is about Super vcd if i remember correctly.

yeah, basically 10/min on vcd. but only you are talking vcd.
    incidently this proves my point - people don't actually read the posts.
    or obviously the subject line

28. Originally Posted by scissors
    i emailled baldrick a 30sec sample.

It's 3.77Mb so 1 min = 7.54Mb.

Devide that into 800Mb(you can put that much on a 80min disc) =
    106 mins.

This was a quick one i knocked up that took less than 15 mins to do.
    the CQ value was 50, with a B picture spoilage of 40. the gop was 1, 12, 4. audio 96KBps. joint stereo.
    Unfortunately, due to email restrictions on size it bounced.
    however go to

http://testmpeg.tripod.com/index.html

and right click the link and save as.

29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    chris x--

You can get almost 830MB of mpeg on a 700MB CD-R. . . you are forgetting that S/VCD's are burned as ISO Mode 2/XA, not Mode I. The packet size is different. . that's why a 700MB CD-R is called an "80 minute" CD. Audio is also burned in mode 2/XA. . .44.1Khz audio is 10MB per minute, so 80 minutes x 10MB=800MB. In Mode I, the most I have ever overburned to is 729MB or 82:55 of "normal" VCD mpeg. This is why 80 minutes of mpeg fits on one 80 minute CD-R.

30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Chris X
    1st off. Actually I have tried myself 2 overburn an VCD mpeg that were about 720 megs on 80 minute /700mb disk and were only able 2 squeeze about 708megs cutting off the last remaining 10 minutes +/- of the video. I looked underneath the disk after I poped it out of my cd burner and there was NO Space left on the disk. So how can u say u can get over 800 megs of data on this disk when there simply is not enough room? 2nd of all Very few cd burners if any at all r even capable of doing such a complishment. The CD Burner has about 99% chance of getting damaged do 2 misalighnemt because they r not designed for burning that much data on 1 disk. 3rd. If the disk were capable of 800 megs. They would b called 800meg disks or 750meg disks.
    Can I have some...........

............What ever your smokin??!!!

I can put 822mb on a single 80min cd.