VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hopefully this is the right place to put this..New here and with a problem.

I have a Sanyo lcd42e3 and am trying to use it as a clone monitor for a few things including videos.

I put in a new (used and older) display card nx6600 with 3 outputs.

I can get the tv to display the monitor just fine, but, the resolution isn't correct and I am missing a portion of my desktop. As well, when I try to use the tv as a monitor, it is very laggy/choppy when mouse scrolling...too old a video card?

I am using dvi to hdmi on the tv.

The owners manual says
    "the TV can automatically recognize signals from the connected PC/HDMI"

then it shows a column of resolutions in various modes that the tv should jump to...but, my tv doesn't seem to recognize the pc with that input/cable. It is staying at 1920x1080.

Another quote below the resolutions..

"When the PC input is not in the PC signal mode column above, a "no support" message will be displayed but in some cases the LCD TV will still display the PC signal. In this situation the display position may not be correct and the quality may not be good."

Ok..is this telling me that I need to set my monitor resolution to the corresponding modes resolution? For example...vga system mode says 640x480 resolution. SXGA (42" full hd only) is 1280x1024.
    If so...system mode is the hdmi? svga? xga? wxga?

Can I manually set the resolution in hdmi mode somehow on this set?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am unfamiliar with the nx6600 but it should be set to 1920x1080 if possible.

The lcd42e3 is a 1920x1080 native TV but will overscan on the hdmi input. Search the TV menus for a no-overscan setting.

Failing that, the TV has a VGA input. Most HDTV sets don't overscan on VGA.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. When I was trying to set the card, I couldn't get a very high resolution, (can't remember which it was at this moment...will put it back in tomorrow and check)..which made me think the card was old?

I searched the menu for any sort of setting, but didn't look for that "overscan"...will try that and let you know.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Make sure you use the latest driver for that card.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If I get a Hdmi to vga adapter, doesn't that defeat the purpose of hdmi to start with? High quality video? or..am I off base with that? I was told the hdmi was the best for data transfer, so I presume video quality would be the best with that also?

Can't locate any overscanning menu setting or res. setting at all. I emailed Sanyo..not likely to get anything back (info worth anything), but you never know...

Doesn't the latest driver install when I put the card in>?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by notaclue72 View Post
    If I get a Hdmi to vga adapter, doesn't that defeat the purpose of hdmi to start with? High quality video? or..am I off base with that? I was told the hdmi was the best for data transfer, so I presume video quality would be the best with that also?

Can't locate any overscanning menu setting or res. setting at all. I emailed Sanyo..not likely to get anything back (info worth anything), but you never know...

Doesn't the latest driver install when I put the card in>?
    DVI-D to HDMI is a digital path but if your HDTV lacks an overscan defeat mode, the picture will be cropped 5-10%. This is actually an upscale so quality is compromised on an LCD display. Modern display cards offer a zoom mode to decrease the size of the desktop to compensate for overscan but this scaling also reduces picture quality.

VGA is analog RGB but will display a comparable to superior picture at 1920x1080 with no overscan.

Find your driver here. You need to install it.
    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index5.aspx?lang=en-us
    Quote Quote  
  7. That is a 1920x1080p HDTV. Connecting via the HDMI connection can get you that resolution but the TV will overscan the image by default -- you won't see a few percent of the Desktop on each of the four sides. I don't know if it has a non-overscan mode. The HDTV also has a VGA input. That probably won't overscan but the max resolution it supports is 1360x768.

You may have the wrong HDTV if you want to use it as a giant, high quality, computer monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ok, now it is getting stranger..lol.

Prior, when I had the nx600 card in, everything worked fine, was just missing part of the desktop as jagabo mentioned..a few % on each side...

Now, on both screens, windows starts loading, and as soon as it comes to the password log in screen, both screens are black. Yet, I can type in my password on the black screen, hit enter, and the machine makes the sounds as to continue loading up...I hear the little "bubbles" pop up on my desktop as normal, but no picture. I am thinking something must be wrong with the card? Maybe that was the reason it wasn't allowing my full range of resolutions before?

Do I need to download a driver first? I didn't have to last time I plugged this card in...

Is there a new card I can get that will allow me to both clone my desktop, as well as use it as extended? Also, is there a card that will carry audio through dvi to hdmi?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by notaclue72 View Post
    Do I need to download a driver first?
    Probably. Get the latest WHQL certified driver for your graphics card.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Get the latest NVidia driver for that card. It will have more controls for HDTV connection including the zoom control I mentioned.

Be clear that the limitations are in your HDTV. If overscan can't be defeated in HDMI mode, and if VGA is limited to 1366x768, you are going to have to settle for a dezoomed desktop for HDMI, or a lower resolution with VGA. The only solution to those is issues to buy a different HDTV.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I am ok with the dezoomed desktop, to get good quality video...

Now the issue is with the card though, I can't get past the password screen now with that video card installed. Blank screen. Guess I messed the card up taking it out and putting it in? I tried installing the drivers first, then the card and firing it back up..but to no avail. Worked without any problems the first time....

Ok...so, search for a new card....I would like the option of clone or extended desktop with the two..is that possible in one card? What is a decent card for dvi to hdmi viewing on the tv plus multiscreening (2 22" lcd's) when not using the tv...?
    Quote Quote  
  12. All cards with dual DVI or DVI+HDMI are capable of both clone and extended desktops.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I looked up your MSI NX6600 and find it is an older 2005 card that was available for both AGP and PCIe. If your motherboard is AGP your options are limited for newer better cards.

This card has dual RAMDACs for dual VGA and should support 1920x1080 VGA with a current driver. The zoomed desktop will work but have less quality with these older cards.
    http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=1&id=1459

I suggest you delete old display drivers and try to get this card working. If you are using an AGP bus, you are limited to about a GF 7600 which isn't a big step up.

I had a similar issue with an older machine and decided to junk the mobo and the AGP bus for an integrated HD graphics MSI mobo (Intel chips) for $70. Added a Core2Duo and basic 1080i HTPC problem solved (hardware MPeg2 decode only). The mobo had a PCIe slot for a high power display card when needed.
    Last edited by edDV; 24th Feb 2010 at 17:55.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Ok, where do I delete all the old drivers? Right now the machine is operating without an extra card..so no problem there.

It is pci-e.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Delete drivers in Device Manager, then Display adapters.

Then reboot into safe mode then install the new drivers..

Reboot again to normal and then set your display options.

Did you say which OS you are using? Please post your computer profile.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
    Install Language: English (United States)
    System Locale: English (United States)
    IBM 8143WBD ThinkCentre M51
    System Serial Number: KCRV5VP
    Enclosure Type: Mini-Tower
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b 3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    16 kilobyte primary memory cache
    1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    Hyper-threaded (2 total)
    Board: IBM IBM
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: IBM 2BKT41AUS 02/04/2005
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    RAM?

This is a fairly slow machine for movies or gaming. The display card would need to take up the slack.

What are you trying to display on the HDTV? Just the desktop or?

The PCIe bus helps with options.

I guess we need the power supply spec for possible advanced cards. How many watts?
    Quote Quote  
  18. I am just trying to watch some videos on the tv, and play some poker ..I don't do any gaming.

1528 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

watts?? lol..umm...no clue. surprised? How do I check that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    so 1 GB RAM ... a start depending on what you are doing.
    Quote Quote  
  20. When I get home tonight, I will do the delete of drivers and reinstall the card....see where that gets us.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Ok, this is fun.

uninstalled drivers out of the device manager, and now I have no monitor at all..lol

start up screen as windows is loading...then blank.

I can't start up in safe mode, as when the machine is loading it gets stuck as the drivers are rolling up the screen.

It stops at windows\system32\drivers\agp440.sys and goes no further.

Now what? I can't use the machine to fix it anymore...lol
    Quote Quote  
  22. Can you boot to safe mode with only the command line? If so, try renaming agp440.sys to _agp440.sys to prevent it from loading. That might be enough to get you to windows in Safe Mode so you can install the motherboard drivers and graphics card driver.
    Quote Quote  
  23. nope, it goes straight to the drivers when trying to load safe with command..

rebooting to last known good configuration doesn't work either...doesn't let me roll back to yesterday, for example.

directory services restore mode?

I hate computers.
    Quote Quote  
  24. It does appear that I can get into the recovery console and have a command prompt there....what can I do from here...please remember...*computer illiterate* lol

right now recovery says "which windows installation would you like to log onto"
    Quote Quote  
  25. From recovery console try:

CD \windows\system32\drivers
    ren agp440.sys _agp440.sys

You can always reverse this change if necessary:

CD \windows\system32\drivers
    ren _agp440.sys agp440.sys
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ouch, yeah ripping out and replacing video cards can be dicey if you don't follow the procedures exactly. But to get back to your original problem, you could see if in your Nvidia Control Panel there is a section for adjusting the size and position of the screen. I was getting overscan too, but was able to shrink the screen down enough to where it met the corners.

My problem is that I sit so far back from my TV, I can't read the text. need to have a 1360x768 screen fill up a 1920x1080 TV. Won't let me embiggen :P
    "*sigh* Warned you, we tried. Listen, you did not. Now SCREWED, we all will be!" ~Yoda
    Quote Quote  
  27. I am more of a hammer and chisel kinda guy so I did the best thing probably...took it to the computer guy to fix....and add some more RAM..

Will see when it comes back if we still (and likely we will) have this oversizing issue...but hopefully the newer drivers and what not will give me more options to set it up..as well maybe the proper drivers and more RAM will get rid of my choppy video on the tv? time will tell.

Thanks everyone for the help to date..will let ya know how it goes..

Who wants to help me build a new pc for online poker? lol
    Quote Quote