VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just want to know how can I backup 1 title track split across 2 Double Layer DVDs so that I can fit the entire title track on 1 DVD-R/DVD+R?

I bought a Region 2 DVD of a sports event with the total duration being 3 hours and 46 minutes. But it is spilt across 2 Double Layer DVDs - there is about 2 hours and 16 minutes on the first DVD and 1 hour and 30 minutes on the second DVD.

Both DVDs are Double Layer - filesize for the first disc is 7.2GB and filesize for the second disc is 6.8GB. Both discs have special features.

Now how do I go about getting the entire 3 hours and 46 minutes on 1 disc? I don't have any Double Layer DVD+R discs only Single Layer DVD-R/DVD+R. Blank Double Layer discs are not readily available here.

I really want to get this event on one disc as I don't want to swap discs during the event. I know that sounds lazy but swapping discs during the event just totally ruins my viewing.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can use DVD SHrink in the reauthoring mode to add both main tracks to one dvdr. See http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/flipper/ .
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    You can use DVD SHrink in the reauthoring mode to add both main tracks to one dvdr. See http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/flipper/ .
    I'm already aware that DVD Shrink can do this but that guide only shows you how to merge 1 title track split across 2 Single Layer discs (albeit double sided). The filesizes in that guide are dealing with a total videosize of 6GB consisting of 2-3GB for each part which is just like compressing 1 regular Double Layer, single sided disc (which is simple enough).

What I want is to merge 1 title track split across 2 Double Layer, single sided discs. So in effect, I will be dealing with a total videosize of 12-15GB consisting of 6-7GB for each part.

I don't think DVD Shrink will shrink 15GB to 4GB in one go. It will probably do it in two passes but what I want is to compress the entire 15GB to 4GB in one pass. Resolution and bitrate means nothing to me at this stage.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe reconvert then. Use for example VOB2MPG and add both mpgs in a converter like AVStoDVD. Or I think it's possible to add the dvds directly in convertxtodvd and convert to one dvdr.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by soneman View Post
    I don't think DVD Shrink will shrink 15GB to 4GB in one go. It will probably do it in two passes but what I want is to compress the entire 15GB to 4GB in one pass. Resolution and bitrate means nothing to me at this stage.
    Well, until you actually TRY it and determine whether it will or will not do the job, that's just pure speculation.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Well, until you actually TRY it and determine whether it will or will not do the job, that's just pure speculation.
    Well, I just tried it now and it definitely won't compress it to 4GB.

I opened both double layer DVDs in the Re-author mode in DVD Shrink and the total disc size comes to 6,816MB which is still too much to fit onto 1 single layer DVD.

I made sure to de-select all the unnecessary languages and subtitles but no luck.

I think I'll give the programs that baldrick suggested a try and will post back the results.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why are you trying to get it on 1 single layer disc? Can you use 1 DL disc? That's a lot of compression for MPEG2, not sure you will get anything worth watching even if you can do it.

What I would do is open up the video in VideoRedo and combine it into 1 stream. And then feed that into avisynth/hcenc (basically the same as using AVStoDVD). You can probably get a nice re-encoded stream that will fit on a DL disc. I think SL is too much of a push. And running through DVDshrink will result in a noticeably worse resultant DL than re-encoding with HCenc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    what I want is to compress the entire 15GB to 4GB in one pass. Resolution and bitrate means nothing to me at this stage.
    are you sure they don't mean anything to you? Do you really want to watch macroblocks dancing all over the screen for 3 hours?

Unless this sporting event is "sit and be fit", then it's going to be a mess
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by txporter View Post
    Why are you trying to get it on 1 single layer disc? Can you use 1 DL disc? That's a lot of compression for MPEG2, not sure you will get anything worth watching even if you can do it.

What I would do is open up the video in VideoRedo and combine it into 1 stream. And then feed that into avisynth/hcenc (basically the same as using AVStoDVD). You can probably get a nice re-encoded stream that will fit on a DL disc. I think SL is too much of a push. And running through DVDshrink will result in a noticeably worse resultant DL than re-encoding with HCenc.

DL discs are not readily available here in the shops even in PC World. They're not available because no one wants to buy them. And I don't have a Debit Card so can't buy them online either.

So I have to get it to fit onto 1 SL disc.

Originally Posted by greymalkin View Post
    what I want is to compress the entire 15GB to 4GB in one pass. Resolution and bitrate means nothing to me at this stage.
    are you sure they don't mean anything to you? Do you really want to watch macroblocks dancing all over the screen for 3 hours?

Unless this sporting event is "sit and be fit", then it's going to be a mess
    I'm pretty sure I won't be seeing macroblocks. 4 hours should fit comfortably onto a SL disc with something near good quality. I've got 3 DVD Recorders all of which have an LP recording mode which goes up to 4 hours for 1 SL disc.

This is why I asked if this can be done on a PC with an original shop-bought DVD.

I know that I can fit the whole 3 hours and 46 minutes onto a SL disc by firstly decrypting the original discs and then playing them back and feeding that into my DVD Recorder. But this aint the easy option by a long stretch. But if there is no other option then I might just have to do it this way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For that much compression, I'd give DVD Rebuilder a shot. You can re-encode the video at half D1 to better utilize the low bitrate, just like your DVD recorder would.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I haven't had the chance to try DVD Rebuilder yet but I just wanted opinions on some blank Double Layer discs I saw yesterday.

http://www.dclstore.co.uk/images/products/verbatim-dvd-r-dl-8x-5pk-jewel-case-43541-l.jpg

The DVDs pictured in the link above are available here for £13 in a local stationery shop. I checked the packaging and it says Made in India.

So are they worth getting and are they going to be as reliable as the Made in Singapore Double layer discs?

I remember the last time I bought Verbatim Double Layer discs they were Made in Singapore which I personally know is reliable. But the ones I saw in the stationery shop yesterday were Made in India so not sure if this effects reliability.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Just an update, I solved the problem by compressing the 2 DL discs onto 1 DL disc using DVD Shrink then burned to 1 Verbatim DVD+R DL disc.

The results are good. It was compressed at around 80% with DVD Shrink but its still very good quality and it saves me from the inconvenience of having to swap discs during the event.

All good.
    Quote Quote