VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I encode anime and put it on dvd so i can watch on my big tv and i have always used tmpgenc plus 2.5 but i'm having some problems. When i encode the anime and play it back after it seems the jerk when the camera pans the scenery but is ok when the action is close up. I use tmpgenc plus with windows 7 and the Shark007 Codecs. Has anyone got any suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  2. might be wrong field order, or too high bitrate peaks with movement (pans)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In dummy terms my friend please
    Quote Quote  
  4. wrong field order - top field first vs. bottom field first. If you choose the wrong one, it will be jerky (fwd, back, fwd, back - playing back & forth)

high bitrate peaks - if you use greater than ~9Mb/s , some cheap & older DVD players have problems reading that bitrate so they stutter , so you have to use something lower like 6Mb/s average, 8.5Mb/s peak

If you play the authored files on the PC does it stutter? If you play the burned DVD on the PC does it stutter? What about other DVD players?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I run the file through tmpgenc plus and encode with DVD NTSC (MPEG-2 720x480 23.976fps CBR 5345kbps, Layer-2 48000Hz 384kbps) settings. It jerks when played on pc through a player even before its authored
    Quote Quote  
  6. Then try changing the field order in the settings (e.g. if it was Bottom field first, change it to Top Field First)

If that doesn't work, provide more information about your source files (e.g use mediainfo), and settings used to encode
    Quote Quote  
  7. Is it really supposed to be 23.976fps? In what format is the source file? AVI, DVD, what? And what is the framerate for that source file?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Info

Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So what does this mean and how do i sort this m8.
    Quote Quote  
  10. It means 23.976 doesn't equal 29.97

You changed the frame rate in your encoding settings

If you want an easy to use GUI that will figure everything out for you, you can try AVStoDVD
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I looked into that but it don't do external subs does it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Why did you convert the framerate? That's probably your issue. If you feel more comfortable with tmpgenc, just use that

Chances are your source is progressive, since it looks like you downloaded it from the web. Use the same settings as the source , but you will have to resize to make it DVD legal (640x480 isn't)

I looked into that but it don't do external subs does it.
    Avstodvd does support external subs. You may have to extract the subs and put them in the same directory with the same name as the video for it to auto detect it
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep it is a file from the web, i'm quite new at this and i've been using tmpgenc since i started. Ive always just selected NTSC VBR MPEG-1 layer audio (MP2) from the project wizard and never had many problems but all of a sudden this is happening. Like i said it jerks when the animation pans but not when its close up anime if you get me.
    Quote Quote  
  14. It could be an issue with your source as well, or problems with decoding. But definitely your settings don't match and that would explain the jerks
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried different file types like avi, xvid and the mkv and i get the same jerk.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Do you not understand what we're saying? The framerate of the source is 29.97fps. The framerate at which you're encoding is 23.976fps. I don't use TMPGEnc, but I would guess it's going from one framerate to the other by dropping frames - 6 frames every second - making the video play jerky. When using 23.976fps sources you encode at 23.976fps and apply pulldown in TMPGEnc. When encoding 29.97fps sources you encode at 29.97 with no need to apply pulldown.

There's also the great chance that the guy who created your 29.97fps MKV didn't know what he was doing and didn't IVTC it as he should have, meaning that the source is jerky as well, but maybe not as noticeably, something you only make worse by encoding at 23.976fps. I'd ask you for a small sample of this thing but would expect you not to know how to cut one.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I sorta understand what your saying, So are you sayin that i should check the video file first and if the file is 23.97fps i should set tmpgenc to encode at that and same with 29.97. On 23.97 i should use 23.97 with pulldown.
    Last edited by VOYAGER2009; 22nd Feb 2010 at 02:12.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Yes, that's what I'm saying. Since I don't use TMPGEnc myself, and since it has this screwy terminology for things, I can't fill you in on the gory details of exactly how you do it. Others can (like jagabo).
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok thanks manono, is there anyone who knows tmpgenc plus inside out and knows the best settings.
    Quote Quote