VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hey everyone

Recently I bought a new TV with a PVR function. Recording outputs a .ts file to a USB device. When I try to play the .ts file on my computer audio and video are just perfect, but I am missing the subtitles.
    I use VLC for playing the files and it detects the following subtitles:

Name:  pic1.png
Views: 1374
Size:  9.5 KB

But when I select one of them no subtitle show up.

I have tried to demux it using ProjectX, and the log gives me the following information:

-> Filetype is TS (generic PES Container)
    -> demux
    -> Service ID 0x189C
    -> PMT 0x24D refers to these usable streams:
    Video:
    PID: 0x244
    Audio:
    PID: 0x245
    Teletext:
    PID: 0x246(dan_s692 dan_i65C fin_s693 nor_s691 swe_s690 )
    Subpict.:
    n/a
    but when the demuxing is done I only get two files: a M2V files containing the video, and a MP2 file containing the sound

So my question is: What happened to the subtitles?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try ccextractor and see if it finds the subs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you. I just tried to send the Transport Stream through ccextractor but it outputs a 0KB file and spawns this error a lot of times:

Problem: No TS header mark. Received bytes:
    000 | 00 62 C5 C9 | bÅÉG
    Skip forward to the next TS header mark.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When using ProjectX what page number have you set up in the Presettings Subtitles tab? For instance in Australia it is 801 and you set the subs as srt. I have no ides of the European settings . From the log it looks like it might be 690, 1 , 2 etc .Have you set up the Output tab in Presettings to actually output teletext?
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I set the page numbers to 690, 691, 692 and 693, but that's the only settings I touched but I didn't get any subtitles from the demuxing. Are there any checkboxes I need to check or something?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What other boxes are ticked on the subtitle tab? Check on the Wiki for a guide to setting ProjectX - click on link in my signature. These set ups suit Topfield and Beyonwiz PVR's and should be ok for Europe as far as subtitles go except for the page numbers of course.
    Is it just this file or all files of this type? Also you could try TSDoctor to see if there are any errors in the file.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    The subtitle settings looked like this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.png
Views:	444
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	576

I just tried to set it up according to the guide in your signature, but the output is the same (M2V and MP2).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	pic3.png
Views:	330
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	575

When opening the file in TSDoctor the following question pops up: "M2TS stream format with 192 byte pakets detected! Stream will be converted into 188 byte transport stream! Do you want to continue in M2TS mode?". Answering yes gives the following result:

Garbage scan: Clean
    PID scan: 4 PIDs found
    PAT scan: OK
    PMT scan: OK
    PAT rebuild: OK
    PCR check: OK
    PMT rebuild: OK
    Start/End check: OK
    Video details scan: OK
    Audio details scan: OK

My problem occurs in every file, and not just in one specific.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Would it be possible to record a very short example and post it? Make sure there are subtitles within the example, say about 30 seconds to 1 minute should suffice. Maybe there is a proprietary header that is messing with ProjectX? What brand and model PVR is it?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Here you have a random clip I recorded some days ago for testing purposes. It is about 1 minute and should contain subtitles in Danish, Swedish, Finish and Norwegian.

It is a Prosonic television.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll take a look and see if I can find a solution - one quick trial I did, VLC recognised the subs but didn't display them. Likewise I had the same problem with ProjectX as you. I'm sure it has something to do with the header...... off to the beach
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you I appreciate your help.

I don't know, if it is any help, but if I use TS Doctor to cut a file, VLC is not capable to recognize any subtitles in the cutted output.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you edit the original file in anyway you won't be able to extract the subtitles - you need to run the original file (untouched) through ProjectX first to extract the subs.

Regarding the sample you posted was this a "virgin" file straight off the TV? Even if the file is edited some programs will still pick up the header information showing theoretically there are subs but they are no longer accessible in my experience.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Okay. The one you got came straight from the TV - totally untouched.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've exhausted my bag of tricks - the file will play on the Beyonwiz PVR but of course subs are not detected. My version of VLC also will not play them but does recognise the subs as does ProjectX. Tried TSDoctor and had the same results as you.

A suggestion, if you know a German speaking person a post on the home of ProjectX might come up with a solution? The link is
    http://forum.dvbtechnics.info/forumdisplay.php?f=16

If you have any success do post what you did as I'm sure quite a few in the community will be interested....
    Quote Quote