VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi folks,

I'm really, really missing my old Sampo right now - I just got the Momitsu 799, my first Blu-Ray player, and it's driving me batty that I can't skip past the nag screens, previews, etc. I had hacked firmware on the Sampo that disregarded the PUOs (prohibited user operations), or UOPs, or whatever acronym is correct these days.

Anybody know if there is a remote hack or anything that will activate a feature like that on the Momitsu? Or, are there any hidden menus with other features for the Momitsu? So far the only thing I've found is a remote hack for region-free for DVD & Blu-Ray - which is nice, but I'd kill to get rid of those !@#%$ PUOs.

Any help / ideas / input appreciated!
    Ojo
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The people that sell Momitsu players sell them hardware hacked to support region free DVD and BluRay playback. There is no hidden menu that I know of and I own one.

I haven't heard of any DVD players in years that will let you skip PUOs. Some older players years ago like Apex had hacked firmware that could do this, but the ability to skip those and the ability to turn off Macrovision are no longer in any hacked firmwares in today's players. If there are any exceptions to this, maybe someone could list them, but I honestly haven't heard of any players that could do that in maybe 5 years.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    If there are any exceptions to this, maybe someone could list them, but I honestly haven't heard of any players that could do that in maybe 5 years.
    The Oppos have the ability to do almost what you're suggesting can no longer be done:
    DIRECT PLAY:
    To skip over the majority of warnings, promos, etc:

As soon as the DVD will allow:
    1. Press Stop
    2. Press Menu
    "Direct Play" may appear briefly on the screen and the movie should begin.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=760726

And it's a very nice feature indeed. It doesn't help ojopaj, though.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I did email Momitsu tech support to ask about it just in case - they used to routinely email out the region-free codes so I thought there might be a chance they'd reply. However, from the replies on this board it looks like this is something that could probably only be defeated with hacked firmware, and it doesn't look like anybody's doing that with Momitsu firmware. Oh well - no biggie I guess. I've read that a number of players can get around this with various combinations of Stop, Pause, Play, Menu etc, so I'll just start trying those. If by chance I find anything that works I'll let the folks here know.

Thanks to all for always being so kind and detailed in your responses to every weird little thing I've asked over the years.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, from reports on other boards there may well BE some people working on hacking the firmware for these players. I'd give it a bit of time though. New firmware for many of the clones are already out and more may be in the offing. I have to write to some people at one company to see if there are any updates since many newer discs can't be played correctly in the player I have. Some people have examined the files in the newer firmware and figure there is room for experimentation. We'll just have to wait and see...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by oldfart13 View Post
    Actually, from reports on other boards there may well BE some people working on hacking the firmware for these players. I'd give it a bit of time though. New firmware for many of the clones are already out and more may be in the offing. I have to write to some people at one company to see if there are any updates since many newer discs can't be played correctly in the player I have. Some people have examined the files in the newer firmware and figure there is room for experimentation. We'll just have to wait and see...

That's great to hear! I've got my fingers crossed. I know it's really a minor thing, but not being able to skip through the increasing number of ads and nag screens on discs I've purchased really gets frustrating after a while. Let us know what you find out!
    Quote Quote