VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

Looking to buy a Blu Ray player. Currently have a DVD player which can upscale my existing DVD picture to 1080i/p via its HDMI connection.
    A couple of questions.
    1 . Will buying a Blu Ray player give me better a picture quality on my existing DVD's or will it be the same quality via my DVD player upscaling facility.
    2. Does the HDMI lead need to a professional lead or will a budget lead provide near enough the same picture quality. I have heard that buying a £60 lead is not really worth it as you don't notice much.

Thanks
    You won't know, until you ask
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by mukeshs View Post
    Hi

Looking to buy a Blu Ray player. Currently have a DVD player which can upscale my existing DVD picture to 1080i/p via its HDMI connection.
    A couple of questions.
    1 . Will buying a Blu Ray player give me better a picture quality on my existing DVD's or will it be the same quality via my DVD player upscaling facility.
    2. Does the HDMI lead need to a professional lead or will a budget lead provide near enough the same picture quality. I have heard that buying a £60 lead is not really worth it as you don't notice much.

Thanks
    1) Impossible to answer in general terms. It really depends on the specific model. Some yield higher quality / scaling algorithms , some result in lower quality. You have to test the exact model out

2) No difference over normal distances if you mean HDMI cables. Over very long distances, the more expensive cables can give better quality in some circumstances
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Here in the USA I have bought this HDMI cable:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123144&cm_re=HDMI_cable-_-12-...-144-_-Product

Roughly 4 British pounds in cost and works great. No need to pay for the "professional" type HDMI cables in my opinion.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also depends on what your TV's native resolution is.
    Pretty pointless upscaling 576 to 1080 then having the TV downscaling to 768 if that's what the native resolution is.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Generally, the more expensive cables are better but as said above unless your using extra long lengths, they're overkill.

I have a few Philips 5990 upscalers and they are not as good as myPS3 for upscaling DVDs.I'm not a Sony fan, but the PS3 upscales very well.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The PS3 upscaler is one of the best out there for a reasonable cost, and the features still make it one of the best bluray players around.

Toshiba had (have ?) a good upscaler in some DVD player models.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Deciding on buying a Bluray player you have to consider few other things. On new Bluray discs they only put Dolby HD or DTS HD so if your system doesn't have a decoder or your amp doesn't have HDMI you'll be listening to 2 channel with bluray. The other thing dvd upscale now is very important because there are more dvd's around than Bluray. I bought Oppo Bluray player even though I had PS3. PS3 gets too hot and has too much noise when it gets hot. That oppo worth every penny, dvd backups compressed 70 to 80% look near Bluray quality on a 55". It has analog audio out in case the amp doesn't have HDMI.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What BD's only have HD audio output + stereo only legacy audio?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a second vote for the OPPO. True, it's expensive and you can buy a lot of players for less but the quality can not be beat. They have a cheaper model out now, I cannot speak for it but the BDP83 is great plus built in audio decoders.
    Quote Quote  
  10. If you want good high quality HDMI cables (or any other types of cables) might try http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp . Got everything you need and then some and the prices are outstanding.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have four or 5 of these HDMI cables http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0017RW94A/ref=oss_product
    43 pence each
    CHEERS GARRY
    Quote Quote