VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I burned several .mpg files onto a DVD using Burnaware Free. They play great on the computer from the DVD. But they wont play any audio on my Samsung DVD player. Video looks great, just no audio.

Any Ideas?

Thanks, Ken
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    the audio should be dolby digital. It's probably mpeg-2 audio. higher end authoring applications will encode the audio to dd for you but otherwis you have to seperate the audio stream from the video and compress it to dd. There are some freeware utilities that will do the dd compression for you but they escape me right now..someone will come along to assist .
    Quote Quote  
  3. I used Any Video Converter to make the file. It lists ac3 as the audio codec. I have other choices of mp2 or aac for the codec.

Any idea if those will work?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sure ... but do you really want to "re-encode" the video when simple demuxing and re-encode audio would be best
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kenimpzoom View Post
    I used Any Video Converter to make the file. It lists ac3 as the audio codec. I have other choices of mp2 or aac for the codec.

Any idea if those will work?
    ac3 audio is not inside the DVD specifications. You have to select mp2 to be sure the disc will play on a standalone DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://dvdauthor.sourceforge.net/ states the following:

"AC3 and raw PCM are the only two audio formats guaranteed to be supported by every DVD player.

North American DVD players may or may not support mpeg 1 layer 2 audio"

Mods, et. al.: Chime in on this - I believe the info that I have is correct.

Otherwise, why have I spent all the time converting audio to AC3? Even when I author with TDA I select AC3 output.
    Last edited by classfour; 16th Feb 2010 at 09:32.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most DVD players don't support ac3 for file playback,only DVD playback. It's true that mp2 is not officially supported by the NTSC DVD spec,it is supported by the PAL spec. Since the vast majority of DVD players are sold world wide most will support mp2 audio. Why not convert your mpg files to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    OK, first of all we need to know what format we are dealing with here. Saying that you made a DVD means nothing. Some people say that when they burn data discs. Put the DVD in a PC and look at the contents. Do you see directories named AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS? Does the VIDEO_TS directory have a bunch of VOB, IFO and BUP files in it? If not, you don't have a DVD and that may be part of the problem.

Originally Posted by fk View Post
    ac3 audio is not inside the DVD specifications. You have to select mp2 to be sure the disc will play on a standalone DVD player.
    WRONG! AC3 is valid on all DVDs and all DVD players MUST support it - no exceptions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    jman98 ---- thanks for posting ........

WRONG! AC3 is valid on all DVDs and all DVD players MUST support it - no exceptions.

(kept my blood pressure from hitting the ceiling)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    jman - thanks for the update. I knew there was a reason that I've paid extra for software to work with AC3 audio all these years.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote