VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I record audio and video for my church. I record the service with a DVD recorder. Now there are some parts that I need to edit out. I have tried using Windows Movie Maker but I can get it to do anything for me. Can I even edit from a DVD?? Please help!
    God bless
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I was desperate to edit something from a DVD I'd first rip it to my PC using dvddecrypter, load the contents into sony movie studio and then edit out the parts I wanted and then render to an mpeg2 then load it into my favorite DVD authoring program, in your case you can use windows movie maker. You can download a demo version of sony movie studio and use that if you'd like.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I tried copying the dvd to my computer. When I tried to rip it through windows media player, but it keeps telling me that I have to adjust my screen but that doesnt work so I had to copy and paste it to my desktop. All the files are VOP what ever that is. This is the first time I have tried to do any editting so I am lost!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am sorry you are all the way on the complete on the other side of the country, the vob filed located in the VIDEO_TS folder are the video files. As long as you have those files, I request for simplicity puposes you download and install the demo version of sony home studio. If you have AOL instant messenger PM me with you AIM nick and I'll load up my laptop.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I dont have a instant messenger on this computer. I dont get online much and it belongs to the church. Where would I find sony home studio? And how hard is it to use?? I dont understand all this technical stuff!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Look at the posts above. Where a tool or program is mentioned and it is in our database, you will see that it automatically becomes a link. Click on this link and you will be taken to the correct page in our Tools database where you will find links to the program, tutorials and other related bits an bobs.

You could also consider using VOB2MPG to extract the video and audio from the VOBs into a single file, and trying to load this into Movie Maker. Some versions will edit mpg files. Don't know which version you are using (XP, Vista, Live etc). You could also use mpegstreamclip to convert the mpg files to DV AVI files, which movie maker will edit.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    How fancy of edits are you wanting to make? If all you are wanting to do is some simple cuts and maybe some fades then you should try mpeg2vcr. It will handle your files from your recorded dvd easily and output a mpeg with little to no reencoding. Very fast. Also at $19 it's cheap. Yes there is freeware that can also do this but for simplicity's sake I would suggest you go this route.

God Bless brother.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sony Movie Studio is the basic home version of Sony Vegas, and no it is not hard to learn, basic functions have virtually no learning curve. Drag and drop into the timeline 1,2,3,4 whatever the vobs are so they are in chronological order, if you get to something you wish to edit out hit press "s" on the keyboard it will split the file and then go to the end of what you wish to edit and press "s" again then click on the file you split out and press "delete" on the keyboard and it will be removed. Then click on the remainging files and hold down the left mouse button slide it to the left aligning the video segments so they are still one after another. After you have edited out anything you wanted to click "file", "render as", use whatever file name suits you, save as type set to render to "Mpeg 2" this would be DVD compliant, template leave as "default template" then click "save" this will crate a DVD compatible video file, you can load this file into windows dvd maker and make a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the long run if you are going to have editing issues and looking for simplicity the church may wish to invest in a DVD recorder with a hard drive, you can edit the files on it's hard drive and then record to the DVD. This would eliminate the need for external programs and save time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This guide might help you: http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video/edit-mpeg-womble.htm
    It discusses how to edit MPEG files using 4 programs.

Rip - DVD Decrypter is free.
    Edit - Womble MPEG-VCR is only $19.
    Re-author - You'll need an authoring program for making the new DVD. Ulead DVD Workshop is easy and only $49.
    Burn - ImgBurn is free.

It takes some effort to edit video.

Yeah, you can sort-of edit in a DVD recorder, but the edits ARE NOT PRECISE like they are in software.

The Sony Vegas method might be just one program, and maybe $10 in savings (at most), but it will take longer AND you'll lose quality with that method, given your goal (simple edits/cuts) and sources.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Okay, This morning I finally converted the VOB files to an MPEG. When I tried to input it into WMM i got this erro message. Any Idea as to what this means?? [Title_2.mpg could not be imported. An interface has too many methods to fire events from]
    Quote Quote  
  12. I went to Best Buy today and bought Movie edit pro 15. I downloaded it to my computer and tried to watch the demo. Now Ive got a whole new problem. When I went to play the demo I got this message. Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file. Can someone please tell me what this means and If It is something I can fix!? I'm a Christian, but im begining to loose my patience with this whole thing. Thanks and again God bless!!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Compression is such as divx/xvid, they are used to shrink "compress" a file so that it takes up less space. In the case of a dvd 4.7GB it can be shrunk to an avi file of about 700MB without a reasonable amount of loss in quality. Compression is the act of reducing the file size and codec is the name of the method/encoder that was used.
    Quote Quote