VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    G'day.

I am a collector of dinosaur age video recorders from the 1970s, the pre-VHS era as I'm into preserving television history and I am trying to transfer some Philips VCR format video cassettes from my 1976 Philips N1512 VCR to my DVD recorder and I am having an issue with how the recorder processes the output video signal. Basically if the tapes don't track perfectly enough what happens is random fields in the picture get horizontally offsetted making the picture look very messy, yet when I output the VCR straight to the TV it looks all good. I've uploaded videos to illustrate what I mean:

This is the picture I get when the VCR is hooked straight to the telly, a half decent picture.

This is the picture I get when the VCR is hooked to my DVD recorder with the same tape playing, I get a distorted picture with fields here and there offsetting horizontally .

I've tried using my Digitech AR-1822 video stabilizer, that worked to stabilize the fields but the colour drops out here and there which I don't like at all and when the picture rolls horizontally the stabilizer will convert the roll into a horizontal skew distortion.

So I was wondering if there's any video software that is designed to clean up the field offset problem by aligning each field that is offsetted with the fields that are correctly positioned giving a good clean picture? Or is there any decent video stabilizing units that are under say $300AUD which would stabilize the fields to give a good clean picture?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Lastly here's some more videos illustrating this picture problem, these are taken from a 1978 VCR tape recording:

Cheers
    Troy
    Quote Quote  
  2. No software fix. You need a time base corrector. For example, an AVT-8710 or Datavideo TBC-100
    Last edited by jagabo; 13th Feb 2010 at 18:08.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you think those devices will fix such rapid and dramatic errors?

Wouldn't a DV camcorder's analogue input (where available) work better? Assuming it locks to the signal at all.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aussiebloke View Post
    Well Hung Yakkas!!!! Love it.

(Where I come from, that would translate as someone so ugly they made you feel sick, but with a very long penis! What a great brand name!)

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote