VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an English speaking movie in MP4 format which has selected scenes featuring a foreign language. The movie did not display any subtitles. Is there a ways to add subtitles to my MP4 file on a mac?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, use subler or muxo to add srt subtitles to a mp4/m4v. But you have to make the subs yourself....or download from the net.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah I tried Subler last night with an .srt file I downloaded. I couldn't get Subler to open the file or anything. I'll try Muxo. One question though, will the subtitles be permanently on screen or only for the non-English speaking scenes?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by phunkidude View Post
    One question though, will the subtitles be permanently on screen or only for the non-English speaking scenes?
    It will show what the srt contain, you can open it with a text editor and see. And you must play with a software that supports such subtitle like quicktime player.

You can also mux srt to a mp4 with mp4box, but they will work in vlc only on a mac and not quicktime, appletv, iphone, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK I got it working with Subler although some of the subtitles seem out of sync with what's been said on screen. Also, the subtitles appear constantly. How would I have them appear only for the non-English scenes?

Thanks for all your help by the way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by phunkidude View Post
    The subtitles appear constantly. How would I have them appear only for the non-English scenes?
    Just remove the (English) subs that you don't want.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ...and the syncing issues?
    Quote Quote