VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker or buy PlayOn and record Netflix! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread

Threaded View

1. Is there any simple free tool out there that takes an AVCHD stream (.m2ts etc) and yields a text-based subtitle file (.srt etc) with the frame specific metadata as content? My Sony camera generates this metadata (time, date, shutter info, geo info) and stores it for each frame (perhaps group of frames) and DVMP seems to be the only tool that can read it. But DVMP is not free.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If someone knows a related forum to post this question in please advise as well...!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Bumping this thread because I have the same request and it is more than 7 months later.

DVMP appears to do this, but this feature is disabled in the demo version, and $70 seems a bit steep, anyway.

multiAVCHD has potential, but needs some work in this area, especially for geotagging.

My ambition is to extract the date/time and geotagging data, to place in a subtitle track of my edited home videos on a Bluray disk or DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I recently came across http://hirntier.blogspot.com/2010/02/avchd-timecode-update.html
    This seems to have potential as well - bgavdump can read the metadata in the stream, it seems straightforward to create the converter we're looking for from that.
    However, to date I've not been able to compile it successfully (on Ubuntu 9.10).
    Any help appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  5. OK - I finally created a converter using the ffmpeg library. Testing it at the moment. Let me know if anyone is interested.

So, in goes an m2ts file (from a Sony camcorder for instance) and out comes the corresponding subtitle srt file with date, time and geo information. My mediaplayer plays them nicely together.

Does someone have a little program/script that takes latitude/longitude info and converts it to place/state/country?
    Quote Quote  
  6. HD65, thanks for taking up the challenge. I am interested (see my earlier post) and willing to beta test. I have a Sony HD camcorder which produces mts/m2ts files containing date, time, geotagging and camera settings metadata. Ideally, I would like to create .sub files to use with Sony Vegas and DVD Architect.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Not sure how many people read this thread but the "avchd2srt" program seems OK sofar, so looking for a few more testers.

From Sony HD files it will extract time, date and geo info and translate it to a corresponding SRT file. It also translates the position info to an address. Note that this is not taken from MODD or MOFF files, but from meta-data in the video stream.

Would be interested to hear about some more experience with it, in particular on non-Sony AVCHD files.

See http://www.mediafire.com/?7i6y9f9037vj1c4

It runs on Ubuntu (10.10), also under Windows via vmplayer.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Very interesting. Sorry for being a noob, but is there any way in running this under Windows?
    (I do not have linux and I'm not familiar with that OS).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HD65, I've got a Canon AVCHD camcorder, and a Fedora system. I'll give it a shot.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Steve Stepoway View Post
    HD65, I've got a Canon AVCHD camcorder, and a Fedora system. I'll give it a shot.
    I managed to find a Panasonic clip, but it did not work. Apparently, Panasonic puts the metadata somewhere else in the stream (compared to Sony). I need to find that. Sony puts it in the first packet of the key frames - this is where I'm currently looking for it. If it's somewhere else, it won't be found yet.

Be interesting to see how it works for Canon. If it does not, please make a short clip available and I can start looking.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Xymox View Post
    Very interesting. Sorry for being a noob, but is there any way in running this under Windows?
    Xymox,

The distribution comes with the source and explanations on how it compiles. If you manage to compile the ffmpeg package under windows, then adding this one should be a breeze.

You may find that running Ubuntu via VMPlayer under windows is a lot less difficult than you thought. It's all free software, and will open a new world for you! No partitioning or whatever needed, actually quite straightforward.

-HD65
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by HD65 View Post
    Originally Posted by Xymox View Post
    Very interesting. Sorry for being a noob, but is there any way in running this under Windows?
    Xymox,

The distribution comes with the source and explanations on how it compiles. If you manage to compile the ffmpeg package under windows, then adding this one should be a breeze.

You may find that running Ubuntu via VMPlayer under windows is a lot less difficult than you thought. It's all free software, and will open a new world for you! No partitioning or whatever needed, actually quite straightforward.

-HD65
    I installed MinGW/MSYS and the program compiled with minimal trouble. So here it is for Windows: http://www.mediafire.com/?f2wpl8frcfhj4na. But note: this is the core program only. It just takes one input file, and sends SRT to output and other info to stderr. It does not translate position to address.

So for correct use, open a CMD window and type "avchd2srt-core YOURFILE.MTS > YOURFILE.srt 2> YOURFILE.INF".

Let me know what you think...
    Quote Quote  
  13. I tried the windows version,

nice work , and thanks HD65
    Quote Quote  
  14. I posted V04 here: http://www.mediafire.com/?q0j3h61u4jwrt3s. This one compiles under Linux as well as Windows/MinGW, has a few new features and bug fixes.

The package contains the source, both the linux and windows executables and the Readme.

Here is a picture showing the features:

From the Readme:

AVCHD2SRT for Windows and Linux

FFMPEG-based program to extract the time/date/GPS/speed information from a h264 video stream and make this available in a subtitle file of the SRT format.

On the linux version, using googleapi, the location information is translated to an address (street/place/state/country) where possible and added. An internet connection and the packages "lynx" and "awk" are required for this to work.

Tested on Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7 – older/other versions may work as well.
    Last edited by HD65; 31st Jan 2011 at 15:17.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Version 0.5: following healthy challenge from Xymox the core is now 20 times faster. Other than that no change.

Linux version: http://www.mediafire.com/?fjt9kvasvvj723f
    Windows version: http://www.mediafire.com/?6h2tgroslodbk3r

Packages include readme file, source and executable.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    I'm new here, and after getting a new camera that records in AVCHD, I have spent the last week trying to find a way to get the time/date metadata into subtitles. I usually use Corel Moviefactory which does this automatically for DV files.

Anyway I ran into this thread after much googling, and sure enough this tool works. Thank you!

Except for one thing. The srt file that it creates generates subtitles that are exactly 2 fold to long for my video clip. For instance, if my video clip is 00:01:28 in length, the tool generates subtitles that go up to 00:02:56. Its funny because the text of the title counts up in one second intervals, but the subtitle duration is set for 2 second intervals, when it should only be one. So the subtitles don't sync match the video clip when played together.

Further inspection tells me that this only happens to files that have been "concatenated" into a m2ts file by the crappy imagemixer software that came with my camera. Srt files generated from the original clips are ok. The output of the avchd2srt tool tells me that the problematic input file has a frame rate of 29.97 but that the working file has a framerate of 59.96.

Any ideas will be helpful. Thanks so much for this nice little tool.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by caen44 View Post
    I'm new here, and after getting a new camera that records in AVCHD, I have spent the last week trying to find a way to get the time/date metadata into subtitles. I usually use Corel Moviefactory which does this automatically for DV files.

Anyway I ran into this thread after much googling, and sure enough this tool works. Thank you!

Except for one thing. The srt file that it creates generates subtitles that are exactly 2 fold to long for my video clip. For instance, if my video clip is 00:01:28 in length, the tool generates subtitles that go up to 00:02:56. Its funny because the text of the title counts up in one second intervals, but the subtitle duration is set for 2 second intervals, when it should only be one. So the subtitles don't sync match the video clip when played together.

Further inspection tells me that this only happens to files that have been "concatenated" into a m2ts file by the crappy imagemixer software that came with my camera. Srt files generated from the original clips are ok. The output of the avchd2srt tool tells me that the problematic input file has a frame rate of 29.97 but that the working file has a framerate of 59.96.

Any ideas will be helpful. Thanks so much for this nice little tool.
    Couple of things to try I think:
    • Use version 0.4 of avchd2srt. It's a lot slower, but uses a different setting to determine frame rate.
    • Use a different tool to concatenate your video segments
    • Use subtitleworkshop or something to change the frame rate of the srt file

I'd be curious to hear whether that helps. If bullet 1 solves your trouble I may need to post an update....
    Quote Quote  
  18. CAEN44:

Could you make some test video files available: the ones from the camera and the combined one using Imagemuxer?

Reason I ask is that I have trouble finding the most robust way to extract the fps. Using the old method (which seems to work better for you) fails on my tests for Panasonic video fragments.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Sure,

I am away from my main computer for the weekend (skiing, yahoo), but will be able to get you some when I get back home on Tuesday. I'll put them somewhere on the internet and send you a message with the link.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Folks,

I wrapped up the fantastic little program made by HD65 in a simple GUI that allows you to select between two methods of determining the frame rate. The file is here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?bicjnxvu7wmvhx1

I haven't really tested this on any mts clips longer than a few minutes, so I don't really know how stable it is. Feel free to try it and let me know. Un-7zip the file above into any location and Run the SubTitleMaker.exe file. All the dlls in the zip file need to be in the same folder as exe for it to work.

HD65, if you don't object, I'll place all the source code up on google code so that anyone here can download it and modify it for their liking.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Folks,

Please don't use the file in my last post. I was confused by the FFMPEG documentation and the program will crash trying to read subtitles from very large files. I have corrected the problem, and it seems to work ok for me. I also added the ability to select to display the time in the subtitles or not.

The download link is:

http://code.google.com/p/sublib1/downloads/detail?name=subtitlemaker_v0.1.7z&can=2&q=

If I make changes or improvements, I'll post them there also.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear all

Many thanks for making this nice work available to us.

I have got a Canon HF S11, which outputs AVCHD MTS files. I tried avchd2srt-core.exe under Windows 7 and it did work, it produced the correct srt file.

However, I have not been able to add this srt file to my mts files using Tsmuxer, and when I tried VLC to read both files it stops dead [it can read my mts file if it was put in another folder, but when both files are in the same folder and have the same name for e.g file1.mts and file1.srt, VLC will stop dead showing nothing].

I tried with WMP Classic (using vrm7 and vrm9 output), it played the mst file but did not show the subtitles.

Is there a way to put the srt file within MTS envelope without the need to re encode ?

I need to run my MTS files with their subtitles on a stand alone media player.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by shaema View Post
    Dear all

Many thanks for making this nice work available to us.

I have got a Canon HF S11, which outputs AVCHD MTS files. I tried avchd2srt-core.exe under Windows 7 and it did work, it produced the correct srt file.

However, I have not been able to add this srt file to my mts files using Tsmuxer, and when I tried VLC to read both files it stops dead [it can read my mts file if it was put in another folder, but when both files are in the same folder and have the same name for e.g file1.mts and file1.srt, VLC will stop dead showing nothing].

I tried with WMP Classic (using vrm7 and vrm9 output), it played the mst file but did not show the subtitles.

Is there a way to put the srt file within MTS envelope without the need to re encode ?

I need to run my MTS files with their subtitles on a stand alone media player.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks again
    Dear Shaema,

I have found that vlc player does not read the subtitle (.srt) files, and crashes (as you described) when one attempts to open a mts file with a corresponding .srt file in the same directory.

However, I found that the lastest version of SMplayer works nicely in this regard. It is available here:

http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/

Also, I found a bug in the batch tool of the program I posted early. I have fixed that, so you should be able to create subtitles on a whole directory tree of .mts files, and view them with SMplayer. The latest version I have posted has the fix.

Best.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks very much caen44
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a way to get avchd2srt-core.exe to export only the date from an AVCHD file? I would prefer it in this format:
    Day Month Date, Year (ie, Tuesday July 26, 2011). I don't want the time.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  26. Whenever I try to run the cmd script I get "Files was unexpected at this time", if I run avchd2srt-core.exe, it works but without the address info. wget and gawk are installed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Ken
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by khargy View Post
    Whenever I try to run the cmd script I get "Files was unexpected at this time", if I run avchd2srt-core.exe, it works but without the address info. wget and gawk are installed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Ken
    Sorry to hear.

There is no such message generated by the script or core itself.

What version are you using and how are you using it (file names? paths? wild cards?). How is it installed (in a folder of video files or in a separate folder in the PATH)? What version of windows? Has it ever worked for you?

If everything fails try editing the avchd2srt.cmd script taking out the line with "@ECHO OFF". That will indicate where it goes wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  28. How is this better than "Visual AVCHD Time Stamp (vATS)" or should I say different. I a new at this and just curious.

Thanks,

jjblack
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

I just took the code from HD65 and put a simple GUI around it.

I don't know about the Visual AVCHD time stamp, the description suggests that it can actually stamp the time and date right into the video. I don't know if it creates subtitle files (although it would be real easy for it to do so, if the author so desired).

The code I posted just makes a subtitle file that you can import into your DVD authoring software along with your video file.

As far as being better than Visual AVCHD, I doubt that it is, particularly considering that this is the first hobby programing project that I have done. It is better in one way, though, it is free (HD65 used gpl v3 for his code, same for the gui).

It does what I need if for, and if it is of any use to anyone else, even better.
    Quote Quote  
  30. caen44

Does this program work on Windows 7 64bit?
    I tried opening a M2TS made by Panasonic but get a error message saying I'm not opening a m2ts file.
    Last edited by jjblackisback; 4th Apr 2011 at 15:04.
    Quote Quote