I want to uninstall Windows Messenger ( Windows XP ) but I don't find the correspondent line in Control Panel -> Add Programs
or in Start Menu. How must I do?
Thanks for your help.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17
To Remove a Windows XP Component
I think,therefore i am a hamster.
- Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add or Remove Programs.
- Click Add/Remove Windows Components. The Windows Components Wizard starts.
- In the Components list, click to clear the check box next to the component that you want to remove. Note that a shaded check box next to a component indicates that only some of its subcomponents are installed.
If you want to remove a subcomponent, click Details. Then, click to clear the check box next to the subcomponents that you want to remove, and then click OK.
- Click Next.
- In the Completing the Windows Components Wizard screen, click Finish.
That never fully uninstalls it. Go search for and look at sysoc.inf afterward to see how you were conned by M$ into thinking it was.
i used to uninstall it then delete the messenger folder and everything in it entirely.--
"a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
If you fully uninstall it then it might screw up the email on some systems,the way i gave is safer and just removes it from starting up,If you really want to try to delete everything just do a search on google on how to remove windows messenger.I think,therefore i am a hamster.
You can also use ccleaner to remove it from the startup list.;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
(.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
If you think that removes it, think again.
msconfig>>>>>uncheck messenger from startup>>>>>save
it wont remove but it wont startupI love it when a plan comes together!
Lightened up, just like you said. Peace.
There is a software called ZapMessenger. Worked for me when I tried.
I used all the processes that you teached me ( johns0, aedipuss, classfour, ricardouk, Caple ), successively, but none of them succeeded.
When I reboot my PC, Messenger ever appears.
Anyway thanks to you.
Xpantispy had this feature
Also disabling windows messenger in windows xp:
(1) Select "Start"
(2) Choose "Control Panel"
(3) Choose "Administrative Tools"
** note in Windows XP Home edition, Admistrative Tools is in Performance and Maintence
(4) Choose "Services"
(5) Right-click on "Messenger"
(6) Select "Stop"
To permanently disable Messenger:
(7) Right click "Messenger"
(8) Select "Properties"
(9) Change "Startup Type" to "Disabled" and click "OK"
Still there but disabled ... means no harm done.
Don't forget outlook express in tools > general tab includes "log me on to windows messenger" box ... un-check it
Another tip :
The windows messenger will not appears in the "Add/Remove programs" menu, it's hidden.
To unhide the windows messenger please do the next steps:
1. Open the file C:\WINDOWS\INF\SYSOC.INF in the any text editor, such as Notepad.
2. Find the line: msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7
3. Delete hide,, result should be: msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,7
4. Save this file ( with the same name ).
Now you can uninstall Windows messenger from an Add/Remove programs.
Should be all you need to know