VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right now I wish I had never heard of windows 7, but my problem may be my own fault. My computer is an HP Pavillion a6030n with an amd athlon 64x2 cpu. It came with Xp on it. I have 4 gigs of ram. I upgraded to vista and recently to windows 7. One thing I have found out today that I did wrong was I used the 32 bit disc instead of the 64 bit disc. I use this computer strictly for video editing and now my video stutters and skips. I hate it. What should I do? How can I go back and install the 64 bit disc or better yet just do a clean install of the 64 bit disc? HELP
    We have a lot of toys now, but they're just toys. Where will our soul go when it departs....
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I vote for clean install.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm hearing complaints that HP isn't updating drivers to Win7 for all models even some recent models.

Is your computer on HP's approved list? My Vista laptop wasn't.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HP used Vista to enforce obsolescence of a lot of kit, and is doing the same with W7. We have a number of printers that are suddenly not supported under W7, even though they worked under Vista. Thanks, HP.

Also worth noting is that upgrades move a lot of files around, and can lead to heavy fragmentation of the file system. It is probably worth running a defrag of the system drive.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are running the built in graphics of your motherboard that may be the problem. According to my web search it shows that your computer has a GeForce 6150 SE graphics adapter built in which might be loading down on Windows 7 especially if you have the Aero features activated. Try disabling the Aero features and see if this helps. You may also want to try running the "Rate And Improve Your Computer's Performance" feature in Windows 7 to see how well your system is able to handle the Aero graphics features of Windows 7. To run this test click on "START" then "COMPUTER". Then on the task bar click on SYSTEM PROPERTIES. On the windows that opens click on PERFORMANCE INFORMATION AND TOOLS (On the bottom left corner). Now somewhere on this screen there should be a link to run the assessment. I don't remember exactly how it's worded though since once you run it the wording changes. To give you an example my nVidia 8600 GTS with a core clock of 675MHz has a Graphics Performance rating of 6.5 (The ratings start from a low of 1 to a max of 7.9). You did mention that you installed Windows Vista that also has Aero features so this may not be the problem, but Microsoft added some new Aero features in W7 like the Aero Peek feature which may be contributing to taxing your graphics adapter.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did a clean install of windows 7 64 bit. I installed an ati graphics card radeon HD 5750. It is a little better, but still hangs and stutters for a second when you first start video in pinnacle studio 14. I'm getting used to it. I think it is a microsoft problem. my other computer has vista on it. after downloading a big update form microsoft it did the same thing. I uninstalled the update and it stopped stuttering. I think that windows 7 has that update already on it.
    We have a lot of toys now, but they're just toys. Where will our soul go when it departs....
    Quote Quote