VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys!

My USB optical mouse just won't right-click on web pages any more, though it will folders, desktop and toolbars?? I recently uninstalled Sonicstage and OpenMG Secure Module, and my right-click hasn't been right since.

I was told on a site that it has something to do with "Context Menu Handlers"?

I tried using a free program called ShexView to carefully try to enable/disable these one by one to see which might be causing the problem, but only briefly works and reverts.

Next time I log in, nothing works?

What can I do?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You didn't identify the mouse but in general what I would do is download the newest driver for your mouse model, delete any mouse driver in device manager, and then install the new driver. Then reboot.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The brand of mouse is 'Trust' (irony?) and thanks- I'll try that.

The problem occurs after about an hour's use, then no right click.

EDIT- I just tried uninstalling the mouse driver (said I already had the latest driver) and rebooting, but nothing! (
    Last edited by jh1966; 2nd Feb 2010 at 16:54.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Never heard of it.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, but what do I do?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm guessing you are using some version of Internet Explorer? It sounds like you have a registry problem related to Internet Explorer and not really a mouse driver problem as it works except in Explorer?

The problem sounds like you can't bring up the context menus for IE, as that's what the R click does. If you any IE add-ons, disable them and see if that helps. If you are using Explorer, which version? You might try FireFox and see if it works. Then you would know its a IE problem.

You can look at this page and you may get some ideas, though they are discussing IE8: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/c22675a2-2d03...7-8854f42fa31f
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does it happen on all sites? Some sites actually do use Javascript to disable your ability to right-click on the page (in theory, it's to prevent things like people taking images, but I think I've seen some overzealous uses of it in the past).
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys and thanks

I'm using IE8 but the Firefox browser mostly. and this fault happens on web pages, not the desktop or folders.

I'm thinking it started after I got rid of Sonistage and OpenMG Secure Module?

I'll try the disabling of add-ons though I think it's a registry thing? Damned if i can find the actual file...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm, i uninstalled the Yahoo toolbar add-on and disabled the java add-on, and for now, it's working... but I'll see later- after a while something happens and I get no right-click again!
    Quote Quote