VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have (for arguments sake) 20 folders of vob files with their own ifo files. These VOB files were ripped using dvd decrypter and are named as they were ripped off their respective discs i.e.
    the structure looks a little like this:

folder1
    VTS_03_0.IFO
    VTS_03_1.VOB
    VTS_03 - Stream Information.txt

folder2
    VTS_15_0.IFO
    VTS_15_1.VOB
    VTS_15 - Stream Information.txt

folder3
    VTS_06_0.IFO
    VTS_06_1.VOB
    VTS_06 - Stream Information.txt

etc etc (note: some of the folders have IFO and VOB files with the same name as they were ripped off different discs. These are all trailers so they 2 minute/3 minute clips at most and not that big in size.)

I just want to burn all of these to a single dvd disc that I can play in my home dvd player. The files dont even come close to 4 gig so they can definitely fit on a 4.7 gig disc. I dont want chapters or menus or anything fancy, I just want these clips to play one after each other and loop continuously. Can it not be done? I have been searching now for 2 days for an answer and finally decided to register here in the hope that I can find some sort of solution. I have seen all sorts of advice and downloaded everything from ImgBurn to Super to dvd shrink to dvd flick to vob merge to ifo edit in the hope that one or a combination of these apps can do it. I am at my wits end as I'm obviously to stupid to do something I thought was so simple to do. Burn a simple dvd! Please help. I have wasted 3 discs already that are useless in my dvd player as the format is either multiple folders of vob files or unplayable content missing VIDEO_TS.VOB to I dont know what else...! I'd just like to burn these VOB files to a dvd disc that can play in a dvd player.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can use dvd shrink to join all dvds(use the reauthor mode, see http://dvdshrink.info/compilation.php ) . Then burn the iso with imgburn.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Try GFD and reauthor:

Settings: No Menus, Start action = Play movie, End action= Next Title
    If you mix NTSC and PAL you will get a warning. No guarantee that it will work.

Add all vob files by drag& drop from the source window and click on 'Create DVD'
    Burn the VIDEO_TS folder on a rewritable DVD and test
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    You can use dvd shrink to join all dvds(use the reauthor mode, see http://dvdshrink.info/compilation.php ) . Then burn the iso with imgburn.
    Well, I tried that before posting here. The reason that didnt work is because I have .VOB files as I said. When I navigate to my folders as I explained in my post which contain the VOB files, they do not show up in the DVD shrink files pane. Have u tried this with .VOB files before? I must be doing something wrong then.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried following these instructions http://members.dodo.net.au/~jimmalenko/test.htm as well and followed it to the T. Missing nothing. And it still didnt want to play the generated folder's contents inside ifoedit (test - dvd play) nor with VLC or powerdvd.

borax, I will try your solution now to see if I have any luck today. thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by totalnoob View Post
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Well, I tried that before posting here. The reason that didnt work is because I have .VOB files as I said. When I navigate to my folders as I explained in my post which contain the VOB files, they do not show up in the DVD shrink files pane. Have u tried this with .VOB files before? I must be doing something wrong then.
    I see. It will only work if you have a working dvd with correct vob,ifo files so it wont work with your files. Try instead GFD as borax mentions.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    borax, I can't get that to work. First of all, I drag the files and they appear anywhere on that screen is that right? Should I be doing that? I tried it with 3 of the vob files and clicked on create dvd. This created the dvd/audio_ts and video_ts folders with only 1 file in it. Only one of the vob files are there and I can confirm it with the file size. I did this thrice and only the first file is saved there. Also, I tried burning but it keeps asking me to a select a device. I have a dvd writer. Wow, this seems so complicated I'm frankly close to giving up. btw, these .VOB files all play well in vlc media player individually, so I know they are complete and valid VOB files.Power DVD plays them all individually as well.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think this is likely the problem, but I throw it out just in case. I've seen reports in the past of some DVD players that won't play consumer burned DVDs if the disc is less than 1 GB in total data size.

Burning to DVD+RW or DVD-RW would seem like a good idea (assuming your DVD player will play such discs) until you get the process right.

VOB files by themselves will play in VLC, etc, but that has nothing to do with creating a proper DVD that DVD player can play.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I drag the files and they appear anywhere on that screen is that right?
    Yes, if you select 'No menus', you can drop the files anywhere on the screen.
    with only 1 file in it
    Please post the log file (as zip) here. Probably there are some errors...
    I tried burning but it keeps asking me to a select a device.
    You need to select the drive letter of your dvd writer in the GFD settings.
    See: http://download.videohelp.com/gfd/Help/DefaultPermSettings.html (But don't change the other settings there unless you know what you do...)
    In addition I would suggest to use imgburn in the Project Settings:
    http://download.videohelp.com/gfd/Help/DefaultProjectSettings.html
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've attached the log - I suspect that error message I see has got something to do with why this is not working. Thanks guys for taking the time to help.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I don't think this is likely the problem, but I throw it out just in case. I've seen reports in the past of some DVD players that won't play consumer burned DVDs if the disc is less than 1 GB in total data size.

Burning to DVD+RW or DVD-RW would seem like a good idea (assuming your DVD player will play such discs) until you get the process right.

VOB files by themselves will play in VLC, etc, but that has nothing to do with creating a proper DVD that DVD player can play.
    thanks, I saw quite a few people listed issues with discs not being readable/playable etc. I have not even reached that stage yet, I'm still trying to get this on the disc, let alone playing it
    Quote Quote  
  12. The most common error...
    ERR: SCR moves backwards from 6119936 to 0
    This is usually due to grubby ripping. You can try to set a tag in the 'ForceSCR' option the the permanent settings:
    http://download.videohelp.com/gfd/Help/DefaultPermSettings.html , but I'm not sure that the final result will work. The only bulletproof option would be to demultiplex the vob files and use the elementary streams (this way the wrong SCRs are removed).
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    looks like ForceSCR option might work. I've done a trial create with 5 of the trailers and it's looking good. Playing all the way through. I'm off to buy some blank dvds. holding thumbs
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    how can i add more than 36 clips to a project? would I now have to merge vobs? I really dont want visual/gui buttons I just want to add all trailers
    Quote Quote  
  15. would I now have to merge vobs
    Would be a solution... But the VOBs need to be exactly the same type (aspect ratio, resolution, number and type of audio...) otherwise the merge will fail. Other solution is to enable the 'Advanced mode' in GfD, add a new menu and put the first 35 vobs there and the next 35 clips on the next menu. Even if 'no menus' is selected, GfD checks the number of buttons per menu...
    You could add a second submenu on the main menu (then the max. number of clips there is 34) and 32 on the first submenu and 32 on the second submenu. 98 is the max. number of titles allowed (actually the DVD spec. would allow 99, but GfD uses one for a possible intro clip).
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks borax. I tried the advanced mode and added the menu and buttons successfully, only problem is I now have to select each menu to play it's clips. I would have liked everything to play at once without the menus visible but I can now see that that's not possible. I can't (not) have my menu and eat it, I suppose. As for the merge, I'd probably investigate that at some other time as I now have successfully burnt 36 of the 66 clips on one disc and it plays fine in my dvd player, so thanks again for your help borax.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys

1. as I've said, I managed to successfully compile and burn my dvd - but now after playing it on my home entertainment system, I discovered that certain trailer's subtitles are on by default and I have to continually switch it off everytime a trailer plays again - i.e. subtitles are activated by default and even if I deactivate it, it just appears again the next time a clip plays again.

2. Also, the playlist is not repeating when the last clip is played, even though I set End Action to Next Title.

3. Lastly, the sound volume variations are from soft to medium to extra loud on certain clips. Not sure if that's normalization that's required or what, but if that's the case, then how would I normalize the VOBs against a benchmark prior to compiling the dvd project?

Thanks again for your help.

Craig
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by totalnoob

Originally Posted by Baldrick

As Baldrick mentioned above. With each folder you have ripped to the hard drive, simply rename them to VIDEO_TS. The ifo and vob files within it. In dvdshrink click on open files and go to the video_ts folder of the 1st one you want to add. When you click on reauthor you can then see the title there-drag that over to the left hand side panel. Now back to the right hand panel and just below the tab that says dvd browser you'll see a drop down box.. Use this to select another video_ts folder and then drag this over to the left and keep repeating this until all files are over on the left panel. Once done use dvdshrink to create a single video_ts folder with all files within it by clicking on backup. As mentioned already, i STRONGLY recommend a RW disc for this.

All in all a 10-15 min exercise i would have thought. so not a lot of time wasted
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey, thanks thegeeman, something new for me to try. I will definitely try that tonight
    Quote Quote  
  20. 3. Lastly, the sound volume variations are from soft to medium to extra loud on certain clips. Not sure if that's normalization that's required or what, but if that's the case, then how would I normalize the VOBs against a benchmark prior to compiling the dvd project?
    Thats only possible if you demultiplex all vob files (this way you could also eliminate the subtitles), use any decent audio software (like besweet/belight) to normalize the audio files (probably ac3 files, but could also be mp2 files) and reauthor the elementary files. If you want to repeat the sequence there is a very simple script editor built in GfD which could be used for this task. See: http://download.videohelp.com/gfd/Help/AutorepeatingDVD.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1GB is DVD-Video spec minimum. Players don't have to acknowledge DVDs with less data -or- with a leadout at least 1GB in length. Some burning programs don't do proper leadout (Nero is guilty of this in some versions).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  22. so what would be the best option to get at least 1gb? I have a few that are less then 1gb
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Pad it out with dummy data in a ROM folder before burning. I've often just copied the source files.

VIDEO_TS - video files
    AUDIO_TS - empty
    ROM - data files

Last time I took a 1GB VOB from another disc, renamed it PADDING.001, and stuffed it in a ROM folder. Problem solved.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote