VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys,

I just bought a new HDTV set. My current DVD recorder only has component and S-Video ports (no HDMI), which gives me two choices, either A) switch between input ports when using my DVD recorder (fairly inconvenient) or B) Watch the High Definition programming in standard (much lower quality). I'm not looking to record Hi Def to DVD, I know you cannot do that.

All I want to do, is to be able to WATCH the programs in Hi Def as the DVD recorder records whatever I watch (in standard def), and be able to play it back without having to switch input. I've been looking around some, and don't seem to see anything with an HDMI connection going in, just out. Anyone have any suggestions?

P.S: The HDTV source is Bell Expressvu Satellite, and the Television is the Sharp Aquos model: LC52LE700UN
    Last edited by mabus; 31st Jan 2010 at 14:54.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Doesn't exist.

What is your HDTV source (OTA, cable, sat)?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's Satellite, sorry I should have put that. Bell Expressvu to be precise.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does the sat box output HD to the TV and SD over S-Video? Most do.

Usually the S-Video is letterboxed.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it does. It has an HDMI output (which I've connected to the Tv set) and a S-Video (with composites I think they are called ... red white and yellow, and red blue a and green) wires. At the moment I have 1 S-video cable going from the Sat box to the DVD recorder and the two Composite cables going from the DVD Recorder to the Television (i'm short 1 S-video and set of composite cables). The Sat box is also connected to the Television via HDMI (of course).

Just to be extra clear, here's my setup ATM:

Sat Box --> HDTV (HDMI) to Input 8
    Sat Box --> DVD Recorder (S-Video) | DVD Recorder --> HDTV (Composite Cables) to Input 2

Hope this helps
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you have cable, just use component video jacks to connect to the tv. It will look the same as any other standard definition analog cable DVD. HDMI is not necessary.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pepegot, think you missed the point. I want to be able to see my television in hi def, not standard, without switching inputs when I want to play back my recordings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mabus View Post
    Yes it does. It has an HDMI output (which I've connected to the Tv set) and a S-Video (with composites I think they are called ... red white and yellow, and red blue a and green) wires. At the moment I have 1 S-video cable going from the Sat box to the DVD recorder and the two Composite cables going from the DVD Recorder to the Television (i'm short 1 S-video and set of composite cables). The Sat box is also connected to the Television via HDMI (of course).

Just to be extra clear, here's my setup ATM:

Sat Box --> HDTV (HDMI) to Input 8
    Sat Box --> DVD Recorder (S-Video) | DVD Recorder --> HDTV (Composite Cables) to Input 2

Hope this helps
    To improve your current setup, replace the " (Composite Cables) to Input 2" with analog component (Green-Blue-Red).

Otherwise your current setup is optimal. You will always need to switch between HD direct and DVD recorder (always SD). There is no DVD recorder that passes HD. Not without a computer in the loop.

A Sat company DVR would avoid switching.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah I know, problem is they don't allow a DVD recorder, meaning you can't export and archive what you record to your computer
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think what you want is doable. Coax is normally the only pass-through provided by a DVD recorder, and that is probably an SD output on your satellite box.

HDMI out from a DVD recorder will be standard definition. In the best case scenario, HDMI out from the DVD recorder could be upscaled to a higher resolution, if your DVD recorder is configured to upscale, but it wouldn't be real HD.

[Edit] Your TV will likely upscale just as well, if not better, than the DVD recorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't want the sat company DVR option, an alternative is to replace the DVD recorder with a Hauppauge HD-PVR and record direct to a computer in HD h.264.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's a great idea, thanks
    Quote Quote