VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using Win7 64bit

I've made 2 MKV files using MakeMKV from some BR for testing. On my Media Center, I've installed the MatroskaSplitter19122009 so the Media center will play the MKV files.

-One movie (Iron Man) plays just fine but the audio is really low
    -One movie (District 9) plays but I get no sound what so every. If I try to skip forward a little, the rest of the movie is very jumpy. If I don't try to skip ahead at all, the movie is steady but no sound.

-ALL of the above does not happen at all if I just open the files directly using Windows Media Player. I can hear everything loud and clear and I can skip around all I want.

Question: How and if it's possible to get the Win Media Center to use the Windows Media Player as it's default player?

Maybe I still just don't have the right codec installed.

I would like to continue using the MKV format.

Thanks!
    Phil
    Last edited by pvong; 31st Jan 2010 at 07:53.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm kind of confused. In the title of this thread you mention Windows 7 Media Center and then you mention Media Player classic in the actual write-up/problem. Which is it, do you wanna use Media Center to play your MKVs or do you wanna use MPC?

If its and audio issue could it be that you have audio tracks that are in DTS or AC3?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have anything else you can play it on, maybe a Western Digital Hard Drive Media Player? Same results? So far I have had no issues with makemkv.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bwizzy-
    Sorry, I'm a newbie. I changed my OP so it's a little more clear. I want everything to play correctly on my Win Media Center.

I just want sound to come over my LCD TV speakers. Is it better to choose DTS or AC3. I don't really understand the difference. I did not choose the HD sound option because I was only using my TV speakers.

lowellriggsiam -
    I haven't tried other players because I really want this to work in my Win Media Center. Since it works with plain old Windows Media Player, I know I'm close.

Does anyone know what Windows Media Center uses as it's player?

Can someone tell me what they did on a Win7 machine to play MKV correctly through the Media Center?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Try the Divx 7 package for windows 7, it includes an MKV splitter which is supposed to be Media Centre friendly.

http://labs.divx.com/mkvwin7preview

You may have to uninstall the other MKV splitter first.
    Quote Quote