VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was wondering, since it's inconvinient to continually Demux the avi footage from files encoded to mkv with x264 in Staxrip, is it possible to use AviSynth and virtuadubmod to manually encode videos with the updated X264 cli and save to an avi? If so, is there a guide on the avisynth wiki explaining all the commands to manipulate the speed (i.e. placebo, very slow etc.) and quality (baseline, high) for x264?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You don't have to demux anything. Just make your own scripts and use a front end that doesn't demux (e.g megui, or lord mulder's simple GUI) or even the CLI to encode. It's much faster if you do this, it doesn't waste time analyzing or demuxing etc...

New versions of x264 don't even need avisynth scripts (you may still need some avisynth plugins) , they can encode directly from the source without any other programs

Dig through the history in the mediawiki for the preset explanations (they had been removed)
    http://mewiki.project357.com/index.php?title=X264_Settings&oldid=3821

You can't use vdubmod with x264 CLI without frameserving. You don't want to use AVI container with x264 , because of possible incompatibilites with b-frames, playback issues. x264 doesn't support AVI officially anyway, it only has support for .mp4, .mkv, .flv natively without other programs
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    New versions of x264 don't even need avisynth scripts (you may still need some avisynth plugins) , they can encode directly from the source without any other programs
    What GUI's do you speak of?
    Quote Quote  
  4. None of the GUI's do this yet without avisynth that I am aware of (although they might be updated soon), only x264.exe does.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    then how do you use x264.exe to do so.
    Quote Quote  
  6. then how do you use x264.exe to do so.
    I'm not sure what you're asking?

You type the commands in

You need a version that has been compiled with LAVF/FFMS

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=151733
    Quote Quote