VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a little surprised that Intel has not responed to AMD's $100. Quad-Core CPU's. Are they conceding the low end to AMD or are too busy selling over-priced Clarkdale CPU's. Never been a big AMD fan but I bought an X4-620 Propus for $100. and I'm impressed. Clock for clock it gives about 80% the performance of my i7 and that's pretty good at 1/3 the cost.
    There's something very wrong with Intel's current and future business model. They seem to concentrating on highly intgrated and very overpriced CPU's.
    Quote Quote  
  2. i7 is highly priced, but that's just where it lies on the price/performance curve. Better to compare it(amd620) to an i3 or even pentium xxxx. Plus of course you have to price in the Mobo/Cpu as a Combo purchase.. they use different CPU sockets.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As for Intel their focus is on higher priced cpu's since they seem to have cornered the market for now. I looked at the i3 cpu's and realized they were only dual core. The cost for i3, i5, & i7 is too costly for me at this time.

I sold one of my computers and I'm looking to pickup the AMD 630 Propus cpu along with a Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H mobo. I like the challenge of overclocking that low end AMD Quad 630 cpu. I have 4gb of GSKill ddr2-800 ram sitting in a anti-static bag. So I'd use that with the AMD 630 Propus pc. I don't wanna spend anymore $$$ buying new ddr3 ram a mobo that supports it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    I'm a little surprised that Intel has not responed to AMD's $100. Quad-Core CPU's. Are they conceding the low end to AMD or are too busy selling over-priced Clarkdale CPU's. Never been a big AMD fan but I bought an X4-620 Propus for $100. and I'm impressed. Clock for clock it gives about 80% the performance of my i7 and that's pretty good at 1/3 the cost.
    There's something very wrong with Intel's current and future business model. They seem to concentrating on highly integrated and very overpriced CPU's.
    i think intel may be hoping to get the last laugh, clarkdale has that integrated gpu, and while it's not part of the cpu, it is on the same wafer, is reasonably powerful compared to onboard gpu solutions and is a DX10 part, which means with an update it will support DX Compute and intel has promised a video transcoding driver for the clarkdale, a lot depends on just what that driver brings to the table, how it works, how many apps start taking advantage of DX Compute and Open CL, by the summer i think clarkdale, even though it's more expensive than amd's cheaper quad cores, may start looking like the better deal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz View Post
    AMD 630 Propus cpu along with a Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H mobo.
    Just purchased a combo from Microcenter that included that motherboard and a 620. Originally, it was planned as an upgrade for my Girlfriend's PC. Let's just say she now has my Intel e8400 instead The 620 is close in performance to the e8400 on single/dual threaded apps. So close, that I don't notice unless I actually benchmark and look at the numbers. MP3/Ogg encoding is less than 5% difference. Not enough of a difference for me not enjoy the extra 2 cores I can throw at x264. I could have gone with an Intel quad core, but everything less than $150 (cost of 620+MB) did not match the performance of the 620.
    Microcenter had the 620 for $95, and got the Gigabyte for $50 out the door. The motherboard is odd sized. Smaller than full ATX, larger than uATX. 8 pin cpu connector, so make sure your PSU has that option.
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by disturbed1 View Post
    Just purchased a combo from Microcenter that included that motherboard and a 620. Originally, it was planned as an upgrade for my Girlfriend's PC. Let's just say she now has my Intel e8400 instead The 620 is close in performance to the e8400 on single/dual threaded apps. So close, that I don't notice unless I actually benchmark and look at the numbers. MP3/Ogg encoding is less than 5% difference. Not enough of a difference for me not enjoy the extra 2 cores I can throw at x264. I could have gone with an Intel quad core, but everything less than $150 (cost of 620+MB) did not match the performance of the 620.
    Microcenter had the 620 for $95, and got the Gigabyte for $50 out the door. The motherboard is odd sized. Smaller than full ATX, larger than uATX. 8 pin cpu connector, so make sure your PSU has that option.
    Wished Honolulu had a microcenter or even a fry's electronics. The cost for me from Newegg will be $217.00 for that 630 Propus cpu & Gigabyte mobo.

Interesting that you mentioned the Intel E8400 because I have one as well. I thought about selling the E8400 cpu and mobo or installing it into a spare micro atx case that I have lying around. Then I could use the AMD 630 in my Cooler Master 690 case. It's not like I need another pc. LoL! I just sold my mini itx system last week. I already have a Intel Q9550 which I use for video encoding and have begun to learn the Blu-ray conversions. Thanks for the tip on the 8 pin cpu connector! I know I'll have fun overclocking the 630.

I just found a Newegg coupon code to use for that Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H mobo. It's $10.00 off! Whoas! Don't know if I can resist this purchase now! LoL!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The differences between the MA785GM and MA78LM are 4 RAM slots vs 2, 5 SATA vs 4, and the 760G vs the 780G chipset. If you plan on using the onboard graphics, the 785GM also has a more powerful chip, plus HDMI output. The 785GM also has firewire and eSATA - did not check the MA78LM.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    I'm a little surprised that Intel has not responed to AMD's $100... There's something very wrong with Intel's current and future business model.
    They prefer to make money.
    http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2010/01/intel-earnings-surprise-we-have-lift-off.ars
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's the past. Abandoning the main stream in favor of high prices may work,then again it may not.
    Quote Quote  
  10. There's not much profit in sub $100 quad core processors. That's why Intel leaves it to AMD. And that's why AMD is chronically in the red.
    Last edited by jagabo; 29th Jan 2010 at 07:57.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by disturbed1 View Post
    put an insulator behind that mobo because if you flex it while the pc is running it will short, I know from experience

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368691.html
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RabidDog View Post
    i7 is highly priced, but that's just where it lies on the price/performance curve. Better to compare it(amd620) to an i3 or even pentium xxxx. Plus of course you have to price in the Mobo/Cpu as a Combo purchase.. they use different CPU sockets.
    really? @ 3.8Ghz my Propus 630 is wasteing i3's and i5's and is breathin' down the neck of i7's in some apps

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz View Post
    Wished Honolulu had a microcenter or even a fry's electronics. The cost for me from Newegg will be $217.00 for that 630 Propus cpu & Gigabyte mobo.
    I have both a Microcenter and Fry's within 15 or so minutes driving distance of where I live and I almost never shop at either unless it's a fairly cheap "Need it NOW!" part like a power supply. My experience has been that unless something is on sale that the vast majority of what both sell is higher priced than Newegg. Of course living in Hawaii does present its own challenges as everything is more expensive there. Even if you had those stores in Honolulu you'd be unlikely to have any bargains there although it would at least give you quicker access to parts if you wanted it immediately regardless of cost.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Microcenter and Fry's... unless something is on sale that the vast majority of what both sell is higher priced than Newegg.
    Just like any retail store. The secret is to only buy stuff that's on sale. This works especially well when your needs aren't too specific and not urgent. I recently needed to replace a motherboard and CPU for an old, dead computer. I didn't need a powerful system, just about any motherboard/CPU would do. I got a motherboard/CPU combo from Fry's for less than NewEgg charges for either the CPU or motherboard alone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    My experience has been that unless something is on sale that the vast majority of what both sell is higher priced than Newegg.
    CPU's, Motherboards, Hard Drives, Optical Drives, RAM, and 99.9% of everything else is cheaper, or at least the same price as Newegg. Matter of fact, I have not shopped at Newegg for over 2 years now because of their inflated prices, slow shipping, and poor packing. Newegg wants $269 for a Q9550, where as it is only $169.99 at Microcenter. That's $100 difference !!!!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0299412
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    wow..this is good info! I've always just gone to NewEgg cause I've always assumed they were cheaper..just a throwback from earlier days I guess...

I'm holding out for a PhenomII x4..the ones made for the AM2+ boards. I've got a regular x2 5700 or something like that (around 2.7ghz) but would love to have the extra performance the PhenomII provides for my video editing stuff...although I'm sure I'll still be out of luck when it comes to AVCHD editing ..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I have both a Microcenter and Fry's within 15 or so minutes driving distance of where I live and I almost never shop at either unless it's a fairly cheap "Need it NOW!" part like a power supply. My experience has been that unless something is on sale that the vast majority of what both sell is higher priced than Newegg. Of course living in Hawaii does present its own challenges as everything is more expensive there. Even if you had those stores in Honolulu you'd be unlikely to have any bargains there although it would at least give you quicker access to parts if you wanted it immediately regardless of cost.
    I'd like either a Fry's or Microcenter to open up here in Hawaii because we don't have any DIY computer store since CompUSA & Circuit City closed down. The local pc shops charge a lot for components because they gotta make back their $$$ as well from paying high shipping costs. I'd like either of those stores to open up here to give SUCK BUY (best buy) a run for their money. There's no competitor for SUCK BUY and they don't even stock many DIY computer hardware to begin with. I know in this economy a company wouldn't wanna open up shop here in Hawaii. I know the prices would be slightly higher because of shipping but it doesn't hurt to wanna fantasia of a Fry's or Microcenter in Hawaii!

Originally Posted by ocgw View Post
    put an insulator behind that mobo because if you flex it while the pc is running it will short, I know from experience
    Could you explain that ocgw? What do you mean using a insulator behind the mobo? LoL! I need details since I maybe getting that mobo and cpu. Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by budz View Post
    As for Intel their focus is on higher priced cpu's since they seem to have cornered the market for now. I looked at the i3 cpu's and realized they were only dual core. The cost for i3, i5, & i7 is too costly for me at this time.

I sold one of my computers and I'm looking to pickup the AMD 630 Propus cpu along with a Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H mobo. I like the challenge of overclocking that low end AMD Quad 630 cpu. I have 4gb of GSKill ddr2-800 ram sitting in a anti-static bag. So I'd use that with the AMD 630 Propus pc. I don't wanna spend anymore $$$ buying new ddr3 ram a mobo that supports it.

I wonder if my GA-MA78GPM-DS2H compatible with AMD 630? I'm not sure if my currant CPU Phenom 8450 Tri core is going to handle BF band company 2
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm running a X4-620 in a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H at 3.25Ghz to keep it completely stable running BD Rebuilder in HighSpeed BD25 mode. It will run at 3.5Ghz on programs like DVD Shrink. x264 encodeing with BD Rebuilder does force lower overclock speeds on the CPU to keep BD Rebiulder from crashing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA View Post
    I wonder if my GA-MA78GPM-DS2H compatible with AMD 630? I'm not sure if my currant CPU Phenom 8450 Tri core is going to handle BF band company 2
    Yup, according to the specs of your motherboard it does support the AMD Propus 630 cpu.

http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2859#anchor_os
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by budz View Post
    Yup, according to the specs of your motherboard it does support the AMD Propus 630 cpu.

http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2859#anchor_os
    Thanx for the link.looks like a need a BIOS update too
    Quote Quote  
  22. Today's Fry's ad has an AMD Athlon II 630 plus Biostar TA785G3 motherboard for $100. Yesterday they had the same CPU and an Asus M4A785T-M/CSM motherboard for $130.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    I'm running a X4-620 in a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H at 3.25Ghz to keep it completely stable running BD Rebuilder in HighSpeed BD25 mode. It will run at 3.5Ghz on programs like DVD Shrink. x264 encodeing with BD Rebuilder does force lower overclock speeds on the CPU to keep BD Rebiulder from crashing.
    How much cpuv?

I get 3.62Ghz stable w my 630 w/ 1.475cpuv, I get 3.82Ghz stable @1.525cpuv

pcgw

peace
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by budz View Post

Sorry, Battlefield Bad Company 2 will not run on your computer.

• The Game-o-Meter detects that you have 1,792 MB of system memory. Battlefield Bad Company 2 requires at least 2,048 MB to play on Windows 7 Beta. Depending on your system configuration, you would have to install additional memory or upgrade your entire computer.

Your System Specifications

ATI Radeon HD 3200

AMD Phenom X3 Processor 8450

1792 MB

I think I need a video card 1st

http://www.yougamers.com/gameometer/10372/
    Quote Quote