VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. In Vdub, if I wanna set the compression codec, I see TWO options for the Xvid codec:
    a. one with a FourCC of xvid and
    b. one with a FourCC of YV12.

1. Why is this, why do i have this, and should I worry? How did it get there, I'm guessing some program installed it's own version of xvid or something?
    2. which one should I choose?
    3. and what is the difference between the two?

Looking for subtitles of: Höök tt0997023, Lime tt0269480, La clé sur la porte tt0077348. tt=iMDb.com Found Desideria tt0081724 subtitle! :-)
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't think you're looking at Xvid fourcc options. Where are you seeing these choices? The only fourcc options I've seen in Xvid are XVID, DIVX, and DX50.

Quote Quote  
  3. I got the codes wrong in the first post. See below pics.

wtf is this?

This is the first one:
    xvid

And below that in the "[Select Video Compression]" list is this one:
    yv12
    Looking for subtitles of: Höök tt0997023, Lime tt0269480, La clé sur la porte tt0077348. tt=iMDb.com Found Desideria tt0081724 subtitle! :-)
    Quote Quote  
  4. I've never seen that second "yv12" xvid encoder. YV12 is colorspace, not an xvid fourcc (so far as I know). Does it display the same configuration dialogs?
    Quote Quote  
  5. YES afaik, everything seems the same. out of precaution, I avoid using it, though.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have the same thing:

Quote Quote  
  7. My guess is some application installed its own variation of the xvid codec.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I tried to get rid of it once, thinking I had installed 2 different versions of XviD somewhere along the line. I removed my XviD, nothing showed in the 'Video Compression" box. I reinstalled AutoGK and the version of XviD included with it (a custom version developed for AutoGK), and both XviDs came back. I didn't worry any more about it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I've never installed AutoGK. So that must be where the second version comes from.
    Quote Quote  
  10. manono, how did you remove your Xvid???

Maybe, I got AutoGK too.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    1. Why is this, why do i have this, ...
    Just for decoding uncompressed video with YV12 color space.
    Look here > http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/YV12

Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    ... and should I worry? ...
    No.

... How did it get there, I'm guessing some program installed it's own version of xvid or something? ...
    Some installers add an entry in registry - to decode YV12 uncompressed video by Xvid.
    If necessary, DivX can also do it - frankly, DivX installer has an option DivX YV12 Pass-Through (it add an entry in registry VIDC.YV12=DivX.dll). And of course can use ffdshow VfW (with enabled Raw video support) or Helix YUV codec or...

It's only additional entry in registry - not 'own'/different Xvid build/version.
    This entry can be removed or simply change by editing in registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32.
    Or can 'disable' used VCSwap.

... 2. which one should I choose?
    3. and what is the difference between the two?
    First to encoding/decoding MPEG-4 ASP video by Xvid.
    Second to decoding uncompressed YV12 video.
    VideoAudio.pl - Serwis o technologii wideo & audio
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know anything about what the differences between the 2 Xvid MPEG-4 Codec listings showing up in your video compression section. But I do know how to put the second one there and take it away using the registry.

To Put it there:
    Using Regedit.exe and browse to:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
    Change: "VIDC.YV12"="xvidvfw.dll"

Or

To Take it Away:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
    Change: "VIDC.YV12"="yv12vfw.dll"

Hope this helps just make sure you have the 2 .dll files.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I know this is a ~6 month bump, but I'm still gonna do it. Thing is, it seems like both of these Xvid compressors belong to Xvid. I install XviD-1.2.2-07062009.exe -- it's there. I uninstall -- both compressors go away. Reinstall -- both go back. However, I was curious about any actual difference when using them. So, I encoded a sample clip with default Xvid settings. The result had the same byte size. However, I ran a comparison of the actual data within. Guess what? Content is the same, except for one difference in the very beginning of the AVI file. Here's a screenshot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	xvid_vs_yv12.png
Views:	493
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	2909

Some RIFF metadata? Could it be that the file that has 'yv12' written in it is thus incompatible with some standalones and whatnot(?), thus it would perhaps be a good idea to use the Reg fix that leogets described, so that you won't accidentally use the YV12 version (which according to Placio74 is really just there for _de_coding purposes). However, even if you actually used the YV12 for encode, it would probably be an easy thing to pull a hex-edit change (yv12->xvid) to make such files 100% DivX compatible. Still a bit curious on what that header tag really is for, if anyone has a clue it would be awesome.
    Drop dead gorgeous!
    Quote Quote  
  15. It's same, becuse it's still MPEG-4 ASP video (just with wrong description FourCC code).
    I think that this is not intentional.
    Using this entry (YV12) to encode should be locked in Xvid codec - as it is in DivX (vidc.yv12=divx.dll shown as DivX YV12 Decoder and is locked for encoding).

This additional registry entry is not part of Xvid - it's added by some Xvid installers (or some applicatons).
    SZL's Xvid build installer adds this entry - however Jawor's Xvid build installer not.

BTW
    Do not need to hex-edit - is sufficient to use AVI FourCC Changer.
    VideoAudio.pl - Serwis o technologii wideo & audio
    Quote Quote