VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have copy protected VCD which i wanna to rip and burn to a CD. But the problem is i cannot even see any data/video from my pc. The VCD is not faulty as i can play them in in a dvd player. Thanks in advance for those people that can help me.
    Quote Quote  
  2. This has been discussed many times, there's a VCD copy-protection that's hard to crack.
    You should hit the SHIFT key when inserting the VCD then rip with IsoBuster, if IsoBuster can't rip it then you are out of luck.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Where is the VCD from? India and Pakistan protect their VCDs with bad sectors and possibly also corrupt TOCs. Hong Kong, China, Taiwan and South Korea do not protect their VCDs. I mention that because if your VCD is not from India or Pakistan, you probably should try it on another PC and be sure that the problem isn't with your drive.

If you search at the top of the Forum Index (searching only works at the top of the entire forum - it is broken within each individual section), you may be able to find some old thread we had maybe 2 years ago in the Authoring (VCD/SVCD) section that talked about this type of VCD copy protection and how to defeat it. If I remember correctly it was possible to copy such discs, but the process was complicated and required the user to have some understanding of VCD format.
    Quote Quote  
  4. deleted
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    This has been discussed many times, there's a VCD copy-protection that's hard to crack.
    You should hit the SHIFT key when inserting the VCD then rip with IsoBuster, if IsoBuster can't rip it then you are out of luck.
    Do u mean, i open Isobuster first , then hit and hold SHIFT key when insertign the VCD ? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by avatar123
    Do u mean, i open Isobuster first , then hit and hold SHIFT key when insertign the VCD ? Thanks
    Hit SHIFT first, insert VCD, wait a few seconds then release SHIFT, then open IsoBuster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. deleted
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jman98
    Where is the VCD from? India and Pakistan protect their VCDs with bad sectors and possibly also corrupt TOCs. Hong Kong, China, Taiwan and South Korea do not protect their VCDs. I mention that because if your VCD is not from India or Pakistan, you probably should try it on another PC and be sure that the problem isn't with your drive.

If you search at the top of the Forum Index (searching only works at the top of the entire forum - it is broken within each individual section), you may be able to find some old thread we had maybe 2 years ago in the Authoring (VCD/SVCD) section that talked about this type of VCD copy protection and how to defeat it. If I remember correctly it was possible to copy such discs, but the process was complicated and required the user to have some understanding of VCD format.
    My VCD comes from Singspore/Malaysia and is pretty old about 5 years ago.

I have tried 2 PCs but to no avail. PC drive simply don't read the disc.

China, Hong Kong and Taiwan do protect their VCD .
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    This has been discussed many times, there's a VCD copy-protection that's hard to crack.
    http://yfrog.com/18capturerjkj
    See the link. ISObuster can see the data inside, but cannot rip them.. window explorer cannot even see the data. When i extract using ISObuster, its hang forever. Using alcohol 120% give me errors.

Seems to me , no one can extract copy protected VCD, but only DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I just use cyberlink power DVD and is able to play the VCD. However how i can rip this VCD and copy into a blank CD ? Anyone kind soul here to provide a step by step guide and help me .

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by avatar123

Singapore and Malaysia VCDs should NOT be copy protected! I was in Singapore 2 years ago and bought many VCDs. None of them were copy protected.

China, Hong Kong and Taiwan do NOT protect their VCDs. You do not know what you are talking about. Most countries do NOT copy protect VCDs because it can cause playback issues. India and Pakistan are rather unique in protecting them.

In fact, the more I read this thread, the more I think that you really do not understand what you are dealing with and as such you are extremely unlikely to ever copy the disc. I admit that I have had a few problems copying Hong Kong VCDs, and I rarely copy them, but those had nothing to do with copy protection and I was able to work around them.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had a VCD that had some protection like you and I could not read it with my computer.

I've just tried to extract each track from "Track 02" with Isobuster and right click with "extract Track 02" and "Treat as video ONLY, Extract but FILTER only M2F2 MPEG Video Frame (*mpg)" option

I've burnt the tracks with Nero as a VCD compilation and it played fine for me
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not that I've ever noticed, and I live there. I've occasionally ripped VCDs, to convert to DVD format and add a subtitle. Just used ISObuster, or VCDGear.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by titigrom
    I had a VCD that had some protection like you and I could not read it with my computer.

I've just tried to extract each track from "Track 02" with Isobuster and right click with "extract Track 02" and "Treat as video ONLY, Extract but FILTER only M2F2 MPEG Video Frame (*mpg)" option

i tried the same thing as you. However , the extraction took forever. Always at "0 percent" .
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jman98

Singapore and Malaysia VCDs should NOT be copy protected! I was in Singapore 2 years ago and bought many VCDs. None of them were copy protected.

China, Hong Kong and Taiwan do NOT protect their VCDs. You do not know what you are talking about. Most countries do NOT copy protect VCDs because it can cause playback issues. India and Pakistan are rather unique in protecting them.

In fact, the more I read this thread, the more I think that you really do not understand what you are dealing with and as such you are extremely unlikely to ever copy the disc. I admit that I have had a few problems copying Hong Kong VCDs, and I rarely copy them, but those had nothing to do with copy protection and I was able to work around them.

if the VCD arr not copy protected , can you kindly explain to me why my pc see no data in the VCD , but DVD player can play them and ISObuster can read the data. Why PC cannot see the VCD data. It is blank inside. Any kind soul here to explain this phenomenon to me .. Thank you very much
    Quote Quote  
  16. Welcome to our forums, avatar123! You have rightly perceived that jman98 doesn't qualify as a "kind soul", as has been revealed in so many of his posts . . . . You have now joined many of us with first-hand knowledge.

As a possible workaround, could you try playing it while using a standalone DVD recorder to capture the output? I tried that once, although it was a non-protected DVD, not a VCD. Probably a long shot if the DVD recorder recognizes the disc as copy-protected like most do for a copy-protected DVD and refuses to record. I've never had a commercial VCD for experimentation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if the VCD arr not copy protected , can you kindly explain to me why my pc see no data in the VCD , but DVD player can play them and ISObuster can read the data. Why PC cannot see the VCD data. It is blank inside. Any kind soul here to explain this phenomenon to me .. Thank you very much
    I can only repeat: I live in Hong Kong, I have hundreds of VCDs, made locally, in China and Taiwan, and have NEVER had that problem.

VCDs use a unique data format, unlike CDROM or audio CD. It could be a driver issue.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by titigrom

I've done that a number of times, most recently a VCD of Egyptian antiquities my sister brought home. It was PAL and overburned.

To the OP, have you read this:

http://www.smart-projects.net/help.php

Specifically on VCD:

http://www.smart-projects.net/help.php?help=230

Extraction options:

http://www.smart-projects.net/help.php?help=130

Have you run a scan first and created a managed image?

Try a number of extraction methods, I feel certain that if the disc can be played, you can eventually recover the data. Note that you should try different drives if possible. Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  19. To all the guys trying to help me ... thanks to you.
    I manage to get CloneCD to duplicate it to a blank CD. And it work fine , i am happy , however the copied CD is still protected. PC still cannot read. But nevermind, as long as i have a backup and can play it in a DVD player i am happy.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Despite what CobraPilot says, I am not always, ahem, "difficult" on these boards. Sometimes I am very blunt. And your statement that Hong Kong, etc. do copy protect VCDs is wrong.

I am glad that you copied the disc. However, you had better options, which you ignored.
    1) I suggested that you search the forums for an old thread that covered this very topic and described how to copy a copy protected VCD and remove the copy protection. You apparently could not be bothered to try to find it. And I even told you how to do the search correctly (at the top of the forums) because searching is broken here if you don't do that.
    2) Nor could you be bothered, it seems, to read fritzi93's suggestions which also potentially could have given you a copy free of this copy protection, assuming it actually is copy protected.

I find it interesting that CloneCD worked for you after you reported earlier that it did not.

If your VCD somehow has copy protection, which I still find doubtful, then you have just about the only VCD from that region that is copy protected.
    Now you have a choice here. You can either be helpful to others who might read this later or you can go away. Your decision. Would you mind to answer the following?
    1) Is this a legitimate VCD or did you purchase a bootleg/counterfeit VCD at some stall? Is this on CD-R media or is it a legitimate commercial release that was pressed? If it turns out that this is some bootleg you bought that was overburned to 90 minute CD-Rs, well, it's certainly possible that we're all correct. You may indeed have a copy protected disc, but people like me and AlanHK are also correct in saying that commercial VCDs don't use copy protection in this region.
    2) Would you please tell us what the title is in case others in the future have this disc?

I remain skeptical that this disc is copy protected, especially since you said you couldn't copy it with CloneCD and then later you could. I think the disc is possibly damaged or not really a commercial disc. But in any event if you would give back a little more and tell us what it is and whether it's really a commercial disc or not it would be helpful.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    If it turns out that this is some bootleg you bought that was overburned to 90 minute CD-Rs, well, it's certainly possible that we're all correct.
    Well, I've also seen lots of bootleg HK and Chinese VCDs and DVDs; and none of them have copy protection; however they could be non-standard or damaged in some way, as of course there is no quality control.

A lot of people here play videos on PCs and laptops, so copy protection that prevented that would have customers demanding refunds.

Also, bootleggers moved on to DVD some years ago as the production cost is virtually the same, and DVD player penetration is very high. It's been years since I've seen new bootleg VCDs on sale anywhere.
    Commercial ones though are still sold, I think because the licensing fee is lower for VCD than DVD, so they sell for about 1/3 the cost of the DVD release. So if it's a new VCD it's most likely legit. Five years ago, maybe bootleg.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by jman98
    Despite what CobraPilot says, I am not always, ahem, "difficult" on these boards. Sometimes I am very blunt. And your statement that Hong Kong, etc. do copy protect VCDs is wrong.

I am glad that you copied the disc. However, you had better options, which you ignored.
    1) I suggested that you search the forums for an old thread that covered this very topic and described how to copy a copy protected VCD and remove the copy protection. You apparently could not be bothered to try to find it. And I even told you how to do the search correctly (at the top of the forums) because searching is broken here if you don't do that.
    2) Nor could you be bothered, it seems, to read fritzi93's suggestions which also potentially could have given you a copy free of this copy protection, assuming it actually is copy protected.

I find it interesting that CloneCD worked for you after you reported earlier that it did not.

If your VCD somehow has copy protection, which I still find doubtful, then you have just about the only VCD from that region that is copy protected.
    Now you have a choice here. You can either be helpful to others who might read this later or you can go away. Your decision. Would you mind to answer the following?
    1) Is this a legitimate VCD or did you purchase a bootleg/counterfeit VCD at some stall? Is this on CD-R media or is it a legitimate commercial release that was pressed? If it turns out that this is some bootleg you bought that was overburned to 90 minute CD-Rs, well, it's certainly possible that we're all correct. You may indeed have a copy protected disc, but people like me and AlanHK are also correct in saying that commercial VCDs don't use copy protection in this region.
    2) Would you please tell us what the title is in case others in the future have this disc?

I remain skeptical that this disc is copy protected, especially since you said you couldn't copy it with CloneCD and then later you could. I think the disc is possibly damaged or not really a commercial disc. But in any event if you would give back a little more and tell us what it is and whether it's really a commercial disc or not it would be helpful.

1) It is legitimate VCD .
    2) The title is in chinese character. Some chinese new year song which the people here would not be interested.
    3) I reported Clone CD fail when the drive when taking a long time read and indicated error in the meassage for the first approx 2-3 mins plus. But after i reported and after 3min , the drive continue to read using cloneCD and manage to rip the VCD. And I am happy.
    4) However the ripped disc is still copy protected and the PC still unable to read the data inside unless i use ISObuster , then i can see the data inside.
    5) Actually this is not the first copy protected VCD i enocunter. I think is the 4rd time. The last time i did some research but find it very difficult to rip and given up compare to a DVD which is some much easier to rip. But this time i decided to put in more effort to study ,ask question and research to solve the problem once in all ,so that in future if there is some more this type of copry protected VCD , i can rip without cracking my head.
    6) Usually it is more difficult to rip legitimate VCD coz the pc drive cannot see the data. IN the past i really reluctant to do it , but not for DVD coz there is so many tools and discussion availabe in the net for DVD. For those bootleg VCD, no problem ripping at all.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    2) The title is in chinese character. Some chinese new year song which the people here would not be interested.
    We have Asian members. How do you know that nobody here would be interested?

It took more effort to tell us that you aren't going to tell us what the title is than to have told us what it is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, the last time I faced off with someone on this site who had a CP VCD, he was bragging that he could make them unbreakably CP.

I was all, "put up or shut up".

Then he was, "here's my CloneCD image. Burn it, try it, and cry, so FU"! (CloneCD is known to work in this way because of the ability to either IGNORE and/or PASSTHROUGH the disc's sector errors to a full RAW iimage)

So I tried it, and got it ripped a few hours later (yeah, it did take that long).

What you've got to remember is it's still all BITS. Using ISOBuster, a template-aware hex editor, and some other older CD image tools (CDMage, and a few others), you use the "EXTRACT FROM:TO" function and then search for non-zero, non-random, and non-sectorheader data. Compare that with what the disc is officially "telling" you is the sectors, and you can fairly easily see the skips, rerouting and offsets, etc. Then clean off the RAW (and bad) sector + mode info, and you've usually got a clean copy.

That didn't even cover the failsafe of D -> A -> capture & re-record loop.

As we've all heard before here, if it can be played it can be ripped.

Note: Most VCD and some DVD players are VERY dumb and don't work on a "file system" level, they work on a raw sector level, which usually ignores the TOC lead-in and leadout pointers. This is where "smarter" devices get stuck; they're trying to
    play by the rules.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Chishty/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]It seems copy protection of VCDs is very common for Indian films, but not so for mainstream Hindi films, because it can impede watching on computers. And today I came across a Telugu movie VCD, which was burned by a CD manufacturer called KRCD, and it is written on the CD that it is copy protected. When I tried to analyse the type of copy protection on Alcohol 120, it say it is an unknown copy protection. Even IsoBuster and cloneCD do not help, and when you try copying them, they are full of "read errors".

These are the files on this copy protected VCD:
    [Attachment 4723 - Click to enlarge]

The Read me file has the following text:
    Instructions
    ------------

1. Run Install.bat from CD.
    2. Using Windows Media Player open the files in MPEGAV directory
    3. For uninstalling run uninstall.bat.

Note:- Supports Windows Media Player, WinAmp

Please make sure you have the latest DirectX package installed.
    And then the Install.bat file has this:
    @echo off

if "%OS%"=="Windows_NT" goto NT

copy /y IndyVcd.ax %WINDIR%\SYSTEM\IndyVcd.ax >nul
    start /w %WINDIR%\SYSTEM\regsvr32.exe %WINDIR%\SYSTEM\IndyVcd.ax

goto DOREG

:NT

copy /y IndyVcd.ax %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\IndyVcd.ax >nul
    start /w regsvr32 %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\IndyVcd.ax

OREG

echo REGEDIT4 > %WINDIR%\cdxareg.reg
    echo. >> %WINDIR%\cdxareg.reg
    echo [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Media Type\{e436eb83-524f-11ce-9f53-0020af0ba770}\{E436EB85-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}] >> %WINDIR%\cdxareg.reg
    echo "0"="0, 4, , 52494646, 8, 8, , 43445841666D7420, 36, 20, FFFFFFFF00000000FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF, 646174610000000000FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF00" >> %WINDIR%\cdxareg.reg
    echo "Source Filter"="{e8d8307c-a97a-11da-9584-00e08161165f}" >> %WINDIR%\cdxareg.reg
    echo [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Media Type\{e436eb83-524f-11ce-9f53-0020af0ba770}\{A92227E7-22F0-42f4-B6A4-C788839BB32F}] >> %WINDIR%\cdxareg.reg
    echo "0" = "0,4,,52494646,8,4,,43445841,60,8,,44554D4D5920202 0" >> %WINDIR%\cdxareg.reg
    echo "Source Filter"="{e8d8307c-a97a-11da-9584-00e08161165f}" >> %WINDIR%\cdxareg.reg

start /w regedit /s %WINDIR%\cdxareg.reg
    del %WINDIR%\cdxareg.reg

The VCD can be played on WMP and Winamp, but not on VLC media player. So can somebody try to find out a way to remove this copy protection?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by lexchief View Post
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Chishty/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]It seems copy protection of VCDs is very common for Indian films, but not so for mainstream Hindi films, because it can impede watching on computers. And today I came across a Telugu movie VCD, which was burned by a CD manufacturer called KRCD, and it is written on the CD that it is copy protected. When I tried to analyse the type of copy protection on Alcohol 120, it say it is an unknown copy protection. Even IsoBuster and cloneCD do not help, and when you try copying them, they are full of "read errors".

These are the files on this copy protected VCD:
    [Attachment 4723 - Click to enlarge]

The Read me file has the following text:
    Instructions
    ------------

1. Run Install.bat from CD.
    2. Using Windows Media Player open the files in MPEGAV directory
    3. For uninstalling run uninstall.bat.

Note:- Supports Windows Media Player, WinAmp

Please make sure you have the latest DirectX package installed.
    And then the Install.bat file has this:
    @echo off

if "%OS%"=="Windows_NT" goto NT

copy /y IndyVcd.ax %WINDIR%\SYSTEM\IndyVcd.ax >nul
    start /w %WINDIR%\SYSTEM\regsvr32.exe %WINDIR%\SYSTEM\IndyVcd.ax

goto DOREG

:NT

copy /y IndyVcd.ax %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\IndyVcd.ax >nul
    start /w regsvr32 %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\IndyVcd.ax

OREG

echo REGEDIT4 > %WINDIR%\cdxareg.reg
    echo [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Media Type\{e436eb83-524f-11ce-9f53-0020af0ba770}\{E436EB85-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}] >> %WINDIR%\cdxareg.reg
    echo "0"="0, 4, , 52494646, 8, 8, , 43445841666D7420, 36, 20, FFFFFFFF00000000FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF, 646174610000000000FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF00" >> %WINDIR%\cdxareg.reg
    echo [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Media Type\{e436eb83-524f-11ce-9f53-0020af0ba770}\{A92227E7-22F0-42f4-B6A4-C788839BB32F}] >> %WINDIR%\cdxareg.reg
    echo "0" = "0,4,,52494646,8,4,,43445841,60,8,,44554D4D5920202 0" >> %WINDIR%\cdxareg.reg

start /w regedit /s %WINDIR%\cdxareg.reg
    del %WINDIR%\cdxareg.reg

The VCD can be played on WMP and Winamp, but not on VLC media player. So can somebody try to find out a way to remove this copy protection?

This seems to be the similar protection that I came across on a VCD today. It wont allow me to copy files. It used a protection so that you can play it on PC exactly as you describe ie via windows media player. I got real angry with this stupid bad sector based protection system...anyways reading through this form, provided me the answers.

Here is what worked for me...I deduced that since WMP is playing file without any problem, the video files should be error free and kept isolated some where in the CD.

So all you have to do is install IsoBuster [beg/borrow/steal :P]
    Hold down shift key while loading disc into drive [to prevent autorun]
    Open isobuster. Simply right click "Session1" and choose "Extract but...only MPEG files" option. Extractn process starts > wait for an error dialogue to appear. In that, at bottom there will be "Quit....." checkbox, check it and choose the quit button in the err dialogue.

So IsoBuster searches only for the good error free video files and recovers them while skipping all the errorfile junk they put in..simple as that!

Do let me knw if this helped!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ...Like we've been saying all along, "If it can be played, it can be copied".

(Who would knowingly add such a DLL/REG rootkit anyway? or allow it to be run?)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  28. Yeah, the VCD my sister bought of her Egypt tour group had that. Footage of her and her friends, mind you, and the VCD they all buy at a premium price won't play on her DVD standalone. Yeah, PAL issue, but did they have to pull that anticopy crap? Just another annoyance while I made her a playable DVD-Video copy. Plus the audio was shit, I had to fix that too.

BTW, IsoBuster (select extract mpeg) does the trick.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote