VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone

Im doing a fresh Windows XP SP3 instalation on my pc and i was wondering if theres a way of installing net framework without having to install 1.0, 1.1, 2.2, 3, 3.5 etc etc... will the latest version cover all the older ones?

while googling i came across this forum topic:
    http://www.msfn.org/board/silent-net-maker-synthesized-20100118-w2k-xp-2k3-x86-t127790.html

where they have links to net framework offline installers, if all i need is the latest version can anyone tell me the link to the latest one?

Thanks
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Each .NET version is basically independent of the others, so you'll generally need to install whatever version your program(s) requires. Unless you're using a variety of programs that require all the versions of .NET, however, you shouldn't have to install all of them. Just install the version(s) your programs need - or alternatively, you can also try programs that don't require .NET.

I can't remember whether or not Vista and Win7 include versions of .NET already installed, though, and whether the most recent development versions are backward-compatible with any of the previous versions (I think I heard that one of them currently requires you to uninstall all previous versions of .NET... it might simply not play well with the other versions, however.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes, i try to avoid those programs and i dont mind installing net framework, i read once once that 3.5 SP1 covers all previous version except for version 1, but will version 1.1 cover version 1 or will i need to install version 1 and 1.1? Installing1.1 , 2.0 and 3.5 has worked so far but if all i need is the latest version that would be nice has i only have a half meg net connection and it takes a afternoon just to download those 3 files
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Install the last one 3.5 SP1, it will automatically install version 2, 3 and 3.5
    Most software use one of these versions.

Use the online setup, it will only download the needed files. About 75 MB on a fresh install of windows.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unless you're setting up a Web Server machine that will be running web applications written in ASP.NET, you don't have to install 1.1

3.5 is not really a separate framework (like 2.0 was), it's more like a giant service pack (or DLC, if you will) for 2.0
    Quote Quote