VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello members:

I bought the Panasonic DVD Recorder-VCR Combo unit model "DMR-ES35V" thinking that it will last me a along time. I paid $350 with taxes. After working for a little over one year, it has stopped reading DVDs. It does not even read DVD ram which was recorded by the same unit. I tried all types of DVDs but no avail.

I read on a forum that a bit of cleaning will help. I opened the unit and cleaned it gently in a prescribed way. It did not help. Can anyone help provide some guidelines on how to proceed. I do not have warranty coverage anymore.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
    Syd
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You paid too much for a combo unit.

Combo players have huge negatives. We have never recommended them. Too bad you didn't ask before you bought it. They will often refuse to record VHS tapes that you made yourself to DVD, even though those aren't copy protected. And once either the VCR or the DVD part of the unit fails, you now have a half functioning unit that may actually be completely useless to you. Should you care, combo units are almost impossible to make region free for DVD playing.

No, cleaning MAY help, not cleaning WILL help. BIG difference. Usually it doesn't work, but it's easy enough to try just in case you are one of the lucky few (it does not help in most cases) in which it actually works. I hate to say it, but you're probably going to have to pay for a repair if you want to salvage the unit. Probably your laser has failed. It can happen within a year as you found out.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Did you contact Panasonic?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can try and install a firware update for some reason when that happens it will still intermittently read cds, it almost read the disc they sent me. In have the es40v version, that same thing happened to me 11 months in and I had to send it in for repair (it was still under warranty) I haven't had any issues since.
    Quote Quote  
  5. sorry if what I suggest does not work, but hey its worth a try.

Ensure the discs are smudge free, clean using 99% isopropol alcohol.

If there is a "return to factory" default option in the set up menu , try that.

Unplug it for up to a day, this has the same effect as unplugging your computer, resets the cmos or whatever.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote