VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and copy Ultra HD Blu-rays and DVDs! Or rip iTunes movies and music! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone,
    I want to edit photos and images - crop them, tint them, resize them, color correct them, etc. What is the best software to do this.......I mean freebee software as well as the expensive software.

Thanks,
    Tryin' Bryan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Personally I use Faststone Image Viewer. It's not a full featured as Photo shop or gimp but it will do what you are asking. and it's donation ware for non commercial use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Google's picasa does a really good job... it's a better version of iPhoto but for the PC. It even has red-eye removal and integrates with your google account to publish photos to web.
    You'll find me at:
    DivX Labs and the DivX Developer Portal
    Follow us on Twitter: @DivXLabs
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Excluding Photoshop, the "best" payware image editor, IMHO, is Paint Shop Pro.
    As for the freeware editors, I've tested and approved IrfanView, XnView, and PhotoFiltre.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use an old version of Paint Shop Pro. Because of its automatic enhancer (one stop photo fix) and easy red eye remover. The Gimp is ok but i find it less easy.
    There are many other free applications. The ones I tried were too 'gimmicky' .....mike
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Paint Shop Pro X (version 10) is actually available as a free full download

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/07/19/corel-paint-shop-pro-x-free-full-version-licensed-download/
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TJohns ... it's not free (nag screen to upgrade)

1: The gimp ... powerful if you know how to use it
    2: Photoscape ... has most of the features and freeware

3: Picasa ... available to all providing the system specifications are met

4: HP Photosmart Essential 3.5 ... given away
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to pay, Photoshop
    Best freeware, GIMP

Maybe it's a bit hard for the first time to use, but after you won't regret.
    The flag once raised will never fall!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the advice.

It seems to me there is alot of good software out there......but the best software for photo and image manipulation is Adobe PhotoShop CS4 - $699

Is there a cheap software SITE out there where I can get Adobe PhotoShop CS4 - with the disk - at a good discount? Seems like there are many discount software sites out there..........but they don't include the disk! Why?

Tryin' Bryan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why don't you try GIMP? You will see that it can do everything you want, color, cropping etc

Photoshop has more advanced feature's but I don't think you would use them (even I don't) and cause of that it isn't worth 700 dollars.

I don't think you can get really cheaper or you can always download it illegal
    The flag once raised will never fall!
    Quote Quote  
  11. http://www.jpg-illuminator.de/index.htm will give full control over the colors of your images.
    http://www.paint.net/ is a very advanced free imageeditor like Gimp or Photoshop.
    http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php can tint, add borders and organize photos etc.

All of them are free.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Abas-Avara
    Why don't you try GIMP? You will see that it can do everything you want, color, cropping etc

Photoshop has more advanced feature's but I don't think you would use them (even I don't) and cause of that it isn't worth 700 dollars.
    There's always Photoshop Elements, then. That's usually around $100.

As for me, I use:
    Photoshop Elements
    The GIMP (builds from here)
    IrfanView, with the full Plugins pack installed
    XNView

...and a large array of decent freeware Photoshop .8bf filters/plugins available to all of them, such as the ones from here.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the great advice. I am ready to buy. I have a PC (not a MAC)

But the various versions of Adobe Photoshop confuse me. I have carefully read the description and the comments by the NewEgg users but I am still confused. I want the "best, most flexible and most complete" version of Adobe Photoshop to manipulate, crop, cut, resize, color, age, erase, redeye remove, fill, tint, and digitally add images to images I have. (Images I have made or Images I have copied)

Here are the versions I saw on New Egg:

Adobe PhotoShop & Premier Elements 8 for Windows Minibox $130
    Adobe PhotoShop Element 8 for Windows $90
    Adobe PhotoShop Lightroom 2 $280
    Adobe PhotoShop CS4 Upsell element $600
    Adobe PhotoShop CS4 $700

What is the difference between these? The issue isn't the money. I just don't want alot of features I will never use.
    Quote Quote  
  14. You should really check out Paint.Net or Gimp first and save your money. Both of those can do this:
    manipulate, crop, cut, resize, color, age, erase, redeye remove, fill, tint, and digitally add images to images I have.
    Quote Quote