I have successfully backed up only one Blu-Ray video after acquiring a quad-core computer.
I am still having issues, but I believe I have found the problem.
First of all, I should mention that my only successful backup was for Taken, using the BD Rebuilder guide by milOtis.
I had trouble with several other movies, so I also tried AVCHDCoder as well.
What I finally noticed was that all the other movies I was trying were using the VC-1 codec (found this at http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php )
For some reason my system was not using the usual wmv9 codec.
After reading a post on a forum from doom9 I decided to try a codec pack (I would normally avoid codec packs like the plague).
I ran the test in AVCHDCoder and all three passed (It had always failed on the VC-1 test before, even after configuring ffdshow).
I will update on whether or not I get a positive encode with this installed
So, in summary I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced the problem with the VC-1 codec, or if someone knew another solution besides the evil codec pack that I have now installed on my system.
I guess I should also note that I have only been attempting BD-5, movie-only backups for now.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
I have had no problems with ffdshow and VC-1 encoded BD discs. But some people *do* have trouble, and the causes are obscure. Every so often there's a thread here on that very subject.
Usually, installing WMP11 and disabling VC-1 decoding in ffdshow solves the problem, not always. WMP11 has the Microsoft VC-1 decoder. I notice that the latest ffdshow has a number of bug fixes involving VC-1. Since my rig is working okay, I have no need to be constantly updating versions of ffdshow.
My advice is to get either the latest version of ffdshow or skip back a couple of builds and try that. Alternatively, go the WMP11 route. It wouldn't hurt to re-install AviSynth and Haali as well. It's surprising how many times someone's troubles with BDRB have been solved by simple re-installs of those ancillary tools.Pull! Bang! Darn!
Wanted to add: I was having a ton of trouble with VC-1. Uninstalled everything, reinstalled everything, played with the ffdshow settings, tried everything suggested here, nothing worked. Finally last night, I went through the AVCHDecoder 'Installation Guide' and used the links there (which I've tried a couple times before as well) and it worked. It actually passed the VC1 decoding test there
(I wanted to post my success- I've been lurking-and getting lots of help- since the VCDHelp days but finally joined lol)
I followed the JDobbs installation process to a tee.
I realize that the VC-1 codec problem is a strange anomaly that only effects certain 'idiots' on these forums.
My computer is brand new and all I have done is update windows and install this software.
Basically this machine will be for Blu-ray backup only.
It is running the latest releases of all listed software, including WMP11. I tried all options with VC-1 in ffdshow.
Anyway, I will try uninstalling everything and starting over. If that doesn't work I will go back and try a different release.
Thanks for the help!