VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi people
    I got a problem playing back a 1080P mkv file. I get sound but no video in Zoomplayer, WMP11 and MPC.
    This is only for 1080P movie, my 720P MKV's and AVIs work fine. I tested this file on my laptop and it works fine so it is not a corrupted file. Anyone help?
    Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use MediaInfo or GSpot to see what audio codec you need. Then download and install it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just checked and its using MP4 AVC same as my other 720P MKV files and they play fine.
    Quote Quote  
  4. AUDIO codec not VIDEO codec.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oops sorry I made mistake in my original post, was meant to say I get audio but no video.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Then you need a h.264/AVC decoder. If you update to MPCHC it has one built in. You might have to manually enable it:

View -> Options -> Internal Filters -> Transform Filters (box on right)... Enable H264/AVC (DXVA) or H264/AVC (ffmpeg). Double click on the latter and set the Decoding Thread Number to 4.

If you want a DirectShow decoder download the 64 bit version of ffdshow and enable it's h.264 decoder.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I already have a decoder, I have ffdshow installed and I am using MPCHC.
    If its a codec problem then 720P MKVs would not play but they do, I get video and sound with my 720P files, its just 2 1080P files that are giving me this problem.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Then my guess is you're using DXVA and those two files aren't DXVA compliant. Turn off the DXVA h.264 decoder in MPCHC.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried that but in MPCHC the movie does not even play with DXVA or ffmpeg on or off just loads and sits there. Other players play the file but only sound.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Did you exit MPCHC and restart it after changing the settings? The changes don't take effect until the next time the player is started. Also try enabling/disabling the internal MKV source filter.

If none of that works try using different output modules:

View -> Options -> Playback -> Output -> DirectShow Video...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes done all of that.
    With external filters the file plays but as before just get sound and no video. While with internal filters I get nothing, file dont even start.

I tried both 64bit and 32bit versions of MPCHC
    Quote Quote  
  12. Anonymous8443434
    Removed.
    Last edited by Anonymous8443434; 26th Jul 2013 at 08:46.
    Quote Quote  
  13. In my experience ffdshow and MPCHC's built in decoders work just as well as CoreAVC Pro (except they're not quite as fast).
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try Mkvmerge and mux it again into another MKV file.

If after you load the problem 1080p.mkv file into Mkvmerge, and Mkvmerge does not know what the video stream is, there is a problem with the file. If you do see video and audio tracks, go ahead and make a new mkv file with Mkvmerge. Try the new mkv file.

You can also try muxing only the video with no sound and see if it will play.

Jerry
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use CoreAVC for zoomplayer and same issue with that.

I tried to remux it and extract just video and same issue. Video dont show.
    This is annoying me...thanks for the help so far guys.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by nekromantik
    I use CoreAVC for zoomplayer and same issue with that.

I tried to remux it and extract just video and same issue. Video dont show.
    This is annoying me...thanks for the help so far guys.
    Just for chuckles you may want to try Splash Lite. If your video card is supported it optionally uses the GPU to play .mkv and .mp4 files. It's the only player I've tried so far where advancing the slider in an .mkv video never crashes.

http://mirillis.com/download.php?file=splash_lite_1_2_0_setup.exe
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote