VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You should go to AMD hardware help forums (there are lots around) and ask your question there.

Essentially, you look for the exact make of your motherboard (unless is Dell/Compaq/Gateway crap) and check the website for updated BIOS. Also check the VIA site for the newest drivers.

Caveat - Updating your BIOS (if you don't know what you're doing) may screw up your motherboard. (I just don't want to get blamed if you mess it up. )

A last resort method is to back-up your proggies then re-format the whole drive and re-install Windoze. It's not an exact science... I had to update my BIOS for about 3 versions before my computer became stable.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hmm, sounds like the dreaded VIA 686b chipset again... man, I for one will be glad when they drop that lousy southbridge and/or SiS 735 motherboards start coming out.

This is the main reason AMD is still getting dirty looks/words from Intel fanatics from time to time - VIA. My response? Make sure you buy a non-VIA board... granted, some people don't experience the problems, and if you know how to update the BIOS and where to check for updates, you'll be ok with a VIA-based board. Anyhow, I strongly recommend checking out http://www.viahardware.com and look up issues regarding large file copying or workarounds for 686b chipset motherboards.

If you don't have a VIA chipset on this board, I'll be VERY surprised. It's a common VIA problem that isn't present with ALi and AMD chipsets right now.

- Good luck!

- H@
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    any word on those SIS735 motherboards?
    Ive been waiting ever since i heard rumors and previews

Anybody know if it will work with Palominos? cause i want the 1.53ghz upon release

im power hungry lol
    Quote Quote