VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I was just wondering whether anyone could guide me as to how and/or what programs i could use to achieve an encode of an MPEG-2/D2V File of an Mpeg-2 Video File via a command line, to achieve a target size rather than a target bitrate.

I know that virtualdubmod allows scripting, via their job scripts etc. however im unsure as to how to get a target size. I'm also interested in any other programs that could do an equivelant/better job than vdubmod.

Any assitance would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks.

Edit:

Specific Details:

I need to be able to use the XviD Codec and do a 2 pass

At times i will need to deinterlace/ivtc, thus whatever method, should support the use of the avisynth so i can do so properly, as opposed to just a straight encode (i have no problems generating the avs script).
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just a general comment, most times I use a two pass encode to achieve a particular target size.
    Quote Quote  
  3. sorry yes, i must have forgotten to mention some essentials like that - i use 2 pass for quality purposes - not sure how that will help with the target size in what im attempting to achieve though

Original post updated.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM

Quote Quote  
  5. im aware of that xvid setting, but that doesnt help me at all in performing the encoding process via the command line...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi,

Thankyou for the reference to XviD Encraw, though it was in german, i found google translator did an adequate job for me, there are a few settings im unsure of (as i used to merely use gknot before) however this looks like the tool for the job.

Are you aware of any download locations for XviD Encraw - no simple google searches came up with a good match.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    a. 2-pass helps achive the target size since you can set it
    b. you said you were going to create vdub jobs for your encodings to automate this

anyway, you could also try WinFF and which is a frontend for ffmpeg (commandline encoder).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's one version of xvid_encraw: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=98469
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi, thanks for the help

The reference to vdubmod was merely that i was aware that it was able to be done (i thought), and so put that out there as an alternative, however im not limiting myself to that application, so long as other encodes can come out the same, or better quality.

Im not looking for any frontend's because i want to do this all by command line, but i wil checkout ffmpeg as another alternative to xvid_encraw

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, if you're looking to do commandline then maybe you can get some more ideas from here (x264 encoding, but still useful info like bepipe.exe if you do the audio seperate):

http://speeddemosarchive.com/kb/Batch_Encoding
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    may I ask why you want to do this by command line. ?

I have found that autogk does quite accurate target-size encodes using xVID etc
    Quote Quote  
  12. I need command line because i do alot of encodes and want to automate the process...

just an update - so far i have tried xvid_encraw, however atm i seem to be having issues. XviD_Encraw does look promising, as it allows me to set many of the features/settings iw ould usually have set via gknot, and using the following script i have successfully done an encode:

Code:
    xvid_encraw.exe -i C:\Encoding\Project_1\Test.avs -type 2 -framerate 23.976 -max_bframes 2 -bquant_ratio 150 -bquant_offset 100 -par VGA11 -max_key_interval 300 -quality 6 -vhq 1 -turbo -pass1 c:\testin.stats -size 153600 -o test.avi

xvid_encraw.exe -i C:\Encoding\Project_1\Test.avs -type 2 -framerate 23.976 -max_bframes 2 -bquant_ratio 150 -bquant_offset 100 -par VGA11 -max_key_interval 300 -quality 6 -vhq 1 -turbo -pass2 c:\testin.stats -size 153600 -o test_final.avi
    The problem im having is though it appears to have been encoded, and the test_final.avi is the correct size - it doesnt seem to be a true avi file - in that it wont open up in vdubmod so i can mux the audio, so i fear that it needs a further encode - which would mean this method becomes inefficient.

The following is the mediainfo for the file:

Code:
    ideo
    Format                           : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format profile                   : Advanced Simple@L4
    Format settings, BVOP            : Yes
    Format settings, QPel            : No
    Format settings, GMC             : No warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix          : Default (H.263)
    Width                            : 640 pixels
    Height                           : 368 pixels
    Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
    Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
    Resolution                       : 8 bits
    Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
    Scan type                        : Progressive
    Writing library                  : XviD 1.1.0 Beta2 (UTC 2005-04-04)
    Perhaps im missing something simple?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Does MediaInfo give any information about the container? Maybe it's a raw MPEG 4 video stream?
    Quote Quote  
  14. no it didnt, but nonetheless i managed to solve the problem

i was using the xvid_encraw from the doom9 page posted above, which seems cant output as avi, using the one found on the batch encode website referred to above, instead of using -o output.avi, using -avi output.avi results in a proper AVI file, without any further processing required, i also found it had some more options and flexibility re what could be set, so this is my preferred one.

I just did a test encode now,a nd it worked perfectly, so i think ill be sticking with xvid_encraw as my command line encoder.

Thanks to all who helped.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I've never used xvid_encraw -- I've only seen it mentioned elsewhere! Glad it's working out for you.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah I forgot to mention the doom9 one is a cutom build with avisynth support. The one from the batch encode website is a better one to use since he's gotten it to work for batch encodes.
    Quote Quote  
  17. well i should also note, for anyone wondering, the batch encode website version also supports avisynth - so for anyone who happens to look, im not sure if theres anything else different (other than a few command paramaters which are just named differently), but id recommend the batch encode website's version over the doom9 one, as it both allows an actual avi to be made, and also has a few more xvid paramaters which can be set.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you do realise that autogk does batch processing as well ?
    Quote Quote  
  19. you do realise that AutoMKV does batch processing as well, too?

It's gruelling slow, though.
    Looking for subtitles of: Höök tt0997023, Lime tt0269480, La clé sur la porte tt0077348. tt=iMDb.com Found Desideria tt0081724 subtitle! :-)
    Quote Quote