VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone,

I got a problem with Sony DVD RW DRU-830A. Sometime it cannot read CD or DVD at all. Even when I restart my computer or format but on my other DVD writer (LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-404B) can read it fine and its an old model. Its only 4X hehe :P. I have the lastest firmware on Sony DVD Writer but it doesn't detect the DVD or CD. It work sometime on some DVD but I don't know why it can read. The sony can burn CD and DVD fine but cannot read when I try to make a copy or just watch movie. I use DVD-R to copy and the brand are Verbatim, Sony or Memorex. Please help me.

P.S. Sony driver worked fine when I bought it but now after 1 year, I got this problem.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try running a optical laser cleaner through it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The MEMOREX media is considered low grade....sounds like your Sony drive is dying....buy a new dvd burner since it's so damn cheap these days....or buy a new 80 wire ide cable and see if that helps solve your problem....if not then your drive is dying a slow death....ide cables will fail over a period of time.

BTW SONY no longer manufactures their own drives they use rebadged drives. SAMSUNG makes the drives for them and all they do is put the SONY name on them.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the reply. I was scare of that answer I won't get a Sony anymore now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That Sony drive is about 3 years old. The first review of it was in 2006.
    I also have an old LG 4040B that still works perfectly.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any suggest of brand of driver should I get. I saw a LG 24X Super Multi Internal DVD Rewriter Drive (GH24LS50) for 49$ CAN. I know I can get cheaper but this one is SATA connection and its not OEM. I wonder if there is really a difference with SATA? I always been using LG driver for long time and I like them cause they last long and cheap on price but I'm open to any kind of driver too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just remember that LG drives have their rip speeds locked but by using hacked firmware like MEDIA CODE SPEED EDIT the read speeds can be made faster. Down side is you void your LG warranty.
    OEM doesn't mean much all it is you get the drive with no retail box and suck wind NERO.

If you can this SONY/NEC drive you'll be in good shape. The link is from the Newegg canada website.
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030

It's one of most popular drives right now and it's a collaboration with NEC.
    I've been saying I'm going to get one but have had other priorities with my
    The drive does well with DL burning from the reviews it got over at MYCE.COM. formally known as CDFREAKS.COM.
    IMHO get that drive while you can!
    Quote Quote