VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does all this goodness, bd rebuilder and such work on windows server 2008?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why would you use a Server OS to do desktop operations?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its my best pc so I would want it to be doing the rebuilding.. I would have the server hosting my web site, and sharing data throughout my network nothing major.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The video operations will want to eat up 100% of CPU, and a lot of the available RAM, so your served sites are going to suffer during the video operations.

Honestly, 2008 is little more than Vista without the eye-candy crap, plus IIS7.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    crap....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do it on a second computer.
    Unless you're running some sort of custom web apps, with streaming media conversion, VPN, and all that sort of stuff, there's really no reason to use your "best PC" for web serving. That might not be the best use of your available hardware.

Even moderately active sites don't need more than 1GB of RAM (includes burst), and a Ghz worth of CPU. Not knowing more about your site, hard to say. Few people need modern dedicated resources. Most people survive quite well on VPS, which resemble dedicated of yesteryear.

Being that you're likely serving this out of a non-datacenter, your bandwidth sucks anyway, hard to request enough data to max out a box on that kind of limited network connection.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its not a very active site, It will mainly be used for a mail server. and my bandwidth is actually pretty good 5Mb up... I am debating getting anouther pc for the video recompressing
    Quote Quote