VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using the latest bd-reuilder, ffdshow, Haali Media Splitter and avisynth to make full disc bd-25 backups. I have been quite successful with my main system an AMD x2 240 2.8 ghz pc running winxp pro sp2, until Dark Knight. That failed on a 2nd pass encode. I had to transfer the files to my older, AMD athlon 64 4000 2.8 ghz pc. This machine did the work, but in four days. All was fine until the watchmen, same thing, 2nd pass fail on the fast pc but three days on the the slow one. Now, Band of Brothers and Batman Begins... I set up another pc, an intel p4 2.8ghz with nothing but the BD Rebuilder required files on it, same problems as the amd x2. both of those 2 did partial rebuilds on the amd x2 but failed on the second pass of secondary video near the end of the video list. I am perplexed?!?!? I have exportend the ffdshow settings from the oldest machine into both of the new machines with no luck. All 3 pc's have the same codec packs, at least to my knoledge they do. I don't know if there could be some kind of chipset issue or what... I do know that the Band of Brothers secondary video is VC-1... I have validated copies of winxp sp2 and windows media 11 on all 3 systems....
    any suggestions....? do you need more info from me?
    Thanks...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What are you using to decrypt with? AnyDVD HD is about the only dependable decrypter. Some BDs have a odd structure and I've had luck ripping to the HDD and using tsMuxeR to sort out the video/audio and saving that and inputing that to my encoder program. But I use RipBot.

Do you back up the main movie only or the whole BD? If the whole BD, you might try just the main movie and put the extras on a different disc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use anydvd hd to do my rips to the HDD, I am doing the whole disc I'm not sure what the secondary video on Batman begins is, but that is where the problems are...
    and there has to be something up with two of the three machines I have doing the work because right now Batman Begins is working fine but it will take 39 hours to do the 23gig video file, on my oldest machine, my fast machine would do a disc that size in 16 - 18 hours... I gotta find out whats going on!!!!!

Going nuts!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could the rip have any effect on the re-encoding? on one machine or another??? that is what is driving me nuts!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The second pass really stresses the CPU. If your overclocking,slow it down,as little as 100Mhz can make the difference. Also a quad core can cut your encodes in half. AMD x4-620 takes about 6 hours compared to my i7 at 4 hours.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't overclock any of my pc's.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can see the failure is only on the secondary video encode, the 480p video, all the 1080 vc-1 video has no problem encoding... WTF?!!??!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Every disc you mention is encoded in VC-1. It seems that for a small minority, ffdshow is problematic for VC-1. (No troubles with it myself). Easy way to test it: install WMP11, which has the MS VC-1 decoder, and disable VC-1 decoding in ffdshow. Then try another run with BDRB.

Good luck.

Here's a Blu-Ray statistics page:

http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php

[EDIT] You mention codec packs. That's ominous sounding and a possible cause of conflicts. You should install only the codecs you need, and ffdshow covers damn near everything.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The secondary video stream is typically mpeg 480P. Or is he referring to the second pass?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fritzi93: I had WM11 installed and disabled vc-1 in FFDshow... no luck bd rebuilder just told me that I had vc-1 incorrectly set

wulf109: The secondary video, vc-1 480p, 2nd pass is what is failing
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so basically frtzi93 according to your link... if its a warner brothers title I'm gonna kill myself!!!!! ha ha!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. There was a recent thread in which the solution was to uninstall and re-install AviSynth, ffdshow and Haali, rebooting in between. (The problem in that case seemed to be Haali.) You might try that.

You could also try Filmerit and see if it tells you if there are any codec conflicts on your system. The error message about VC-1 being incorrectly set points to a conflict.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BD rebuilder only said there was a vc-1 error when I disabled it in ffdshow. Filmerit showed no codec conflicts either
    Quote Quote  
  14. Did you consider Redwudz' suggestions?

All I can come up with right now is re-installing AviSynth, Haali, and ffdshow. And maybe try an earlier build of BDRB. Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    waiting on the results on that one right now.....
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nope!!! I uninstalled all 3 and then rebooted. reinstalled the 3 programs and ran a resume on bd rebuilder... same place secondary video encode fail
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you using the latest BDRebuilder 31.06. Have you tried the HighSpeedBD25 encode option since your making BD25's. It takes about 1/3 the time of the default mode.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes I have the latest 31.06 of bd rebuilder
    I have not tried the other encoding options I am concerned about the quality
    how does the quality compare on the highspeed bd25 to the high quality/default option
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I compared one disk,Heroes,and I could not see any difference between the HighSpeed and default versions. Try the Highspeed option and decide for yourself. Burn it on a BD-RE so as not waste a BD25 if you don't like the results.
    Quote Quote  
  20. With BD-Rebuilder trying VC-1 encoded discs I am having trouble with Windows 7 Pro
    I *believe* I have done all I am suposed to but still no joy
    7 has the XP mode available
    Has anyone tried running BD-rebulder under XP mode's window with success?
    STILL researching and havent given up yet
    Did my first Blu--->blu rebuild this AM on Last Action Hero
    When I get home we'll see how it came out.
    I see others having trouble with Batman Begins(?) One with Joker on front
    I had failures too but it was just an experiment; I don't *need* a copy

i7 920 or 940; 3 GB Tri Channel RAM Run BD-rebuilder and nothing else...
    APPEARS to be <3 hrs; need to check log
    I have it verify so that makes it longer...

personal replys welcome
    Giddyup!
    Quote Quote