VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First post on this forum for me. I've been doing audio restoration for a while but am also fascinated in video archival which I've been for a while, but now also restoration. I understand nothing can be restored completely. Although my method of converting vhs to digital involves mpeg2 converting or compression, I'm happy with it. By the way, I'm not a computer n00b but I am somewhat a video noob.
    I usually run the highest quality mode on my Panasonic DMR-ES35V VHS/DVD Recorder when I want to copy from VHS to DVD. If I want to do some editing or tinkering in VirtualDub (which I've been playing around with for a few weeks now and am getting the hang of...), I rip the video from the dvd to computer with either Ulead VideoStudio or DVDDecrypter and AutoGK. I usually use Ulead VideoStudio.
    I am wanting to improve the image of some videos affected by what could be aerial noise or something like that. (playing the video on other vhs players showed the same results, so it's not the player).
    Some videos have lines and dots and other artificacts (which I don't know the names of) which are most likely from being a recorded from a broadcast and some vhs noise perhaps, but I assume the latter isn't the big culprit?. These videos were recorded off television in Slovenia (Europe) in the 1980s. Some have higher noise or snow (I have trouble telling the difference) and some have less. With the mildly affected videos, I use filters in VirtualDub such as digital noise reduction and or temporal smoother, and or static noise reduction and good as gold.
    For higher affected videos, there are more lines and snow and noise (forgive me if I'm describing it incorrectly). Running the same filters reduces some noise, but edges of faces for example become annoying moving lines or dots. I've been tampering with all kinds of filters and no luck with reducing the noise without dramatically reducing the quality of the image. I'm aware that running filters and compressing etc will reduce the quality as well. I'd like to know what filters are appropriate for this from other people's experiences, if any? (just another thought popped in: could some of it be mosquito noise?)
    I'd love to share a small sample of the video for this post (so you know what I'm talking about), but I have trouble compressing it to an .avi file under 50mb (just 12 to 20 seconds really) without decreasing the quality.
    The smallest I can go right now is with the Lagarith codec to 133MB for 13 seconds of video. Any help with that is also appreciated.
    Thanks very much
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try Neat Video in VirtualDub. To get the best results you'll need to go through its procedure for sampling the noise so it knows exactly what to remove.

Just post the 133 MB Lagarith file. Using any kind of compression will result in losses which will screw up noise reduction.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried out Neat Video a little bit but I'm not sure how much time I want to spend on it since it's a demo version Here's the short vid, from two parts of the video: http://www.4shared.com/file/192933216/caa87abd/small1.html
    Quote Quote  
  4. Here's an example of the video after neat video:

neat.avi

You can fine tune the amount of noise reduction and sharpness.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    wow. i assume you're using the full paid version?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by filnads
    wow. i assume you're using the full paid version?
    No, he just set it up the right way.

Originally Posted by jagabo
    Try Neat Video in VirtualDub. To get the best results you'll need to go through its procedure for sampling the noise so it knows exactly what to remove.
    The demo does the same as the paid version, the demo just add's a watermark to the video.
    The demo may also have a time limit, but i am not sure as i have been using the full paid version for a couple of years.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i see. having tried harder now with neatvideo, i can see it's possible. the time limit is 30 minutes on the demo which wouldn't be an issue for me. it only affects 640x480 of each frame though. there wouldn't be any other chains of free filters equivalent to neatvideo, would there?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    AFAIK, Neat Video is using a chain of filters, probably aviailabe for free, but it might take a bit of fine tuning on each of them to duplicate what it does. There are lots of VD filter available, some here: http://www.thedeemon.com/VirtualDubFilters/ The VHS filter there may be one you can try.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    NeatVideo is unique for a Virtualdub plugin. It performs motion compensated denoising - it searches several frames ahead and decides what is noise and what is source. It's very good, the best noise reduction plugin for Virtualdub. But it isn't free.

Very good free Virtualdub noise reduction plugins come from Sergey in Russia.

http://acobw.narod.ru/
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A Google translated version of that page: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://acobw.narod.ru/&ei=MMdKS8yQ...%3Den%26sa%3DG

(I just used the narod page address in a Google search and it had 'translate' as one option. A handy trick to post a translated page link. )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nice one, redwudz
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote