VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    newbie- I have dvd disc in TS-video when I click on properties. I want to get it into a form that I can put video on my website and on Youtube. do i need a ripper or converter and which one? so many online, i have no clue which one to use- going crazy- is there a simple machine I can buy? I must get project done. I would attempt to edit some parts of the video on windows movie maker. This is all so complicated and I have wasted hours and hours and getting nowhere. thanks.
    I forgot I have windows xp
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VOB2MPG will extract the mpg video (s) from the VOBs without re-encoding.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use vob2mpg and import the mpg in wmm or windows live movie maker. You probably need a mpeg decoder installed, ffdshow may work. Export as wmv and upload to youtube.

Or if you just need to cut use mpg2cut2 to cut the mpg from vob2mpg. Upload the new mpg file to youtube.

Or try/buy a mpeg/dvd editor like mpeg video wizard, you can import the dvd vobs directly and edit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hi and welcome to the forum.

vob2mpg is a program to convert a dvd to mpeg-2. most likely you want to select 1 video and 1 audio stream to rip. once it's in mpg format there are lots of programs to convert to an online type video like mp4. handbrake and mediacoder are just 2.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss
    hi and welcome to the forum.

vob2mpg is a program to convert a dvd to mpeg-2. most likely you want to select 1 video and 1 audio stream to rip. once it's in mpg format there are lots of programs to convert to an online type video like mp4. handbrake and mediacoder are just 2.
    Hi-
    this sounds so complicated for a non-techie. WHat is this 1 video and 1 audio stream. Is that a thing I click on that vob site. So do I need ripper or converter? THe tools you mentioned seemed like lots of steps. What if I just want to take the dvd in it's TS_ format and just change it into mpeg4 or wmv or whatever form that would let me put on my website.

Then if I did that, could I edit at that point .

Ever heard of aiseesoft software?

Is these 3 steps necessary. Ripping and converting and editing or does one software do all I want to do? thanks again.
    I read some reviews and some said stuff that was complicated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome the wonderful world of digital video. If you want simple, find another hobby. There are basically two ways to work with digital video - the easy way, and the right way. Only one way produces a quality outcome. I'll let you guess which is which.

However if you are prepared to put a little effort in up front, you will quickly find that what seems daunting and complicated now is soon second nature.

You will find that there are literally hundreds of video conversion programs out there that promise the world at a click. Most of them use the same back end tools that many of the more complicated tools use (public domain, open source software), but they put a pretty interface on them to hid the complexity. They also use low quality presets because they have now real idea what working with video is all about. Aiseesoft software is just another one of those.

Trust me, if you are going to do this more than once, listen to the good people here, put a little time and effort in up front, and you will soon be producing videos you are proud of, instead of something that looks more like it should be shown on a bigfoot or UFO website (you know the stuff - blurry, over compressed and and completely unwatchable)
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you convert your VOB/MPEG-2 files to DivX, you'll get great compression and be able to easily self publish them on your website with the DivX Plus Web Player. MPEG isn't really that common of an Internet format, and if you use DivX, you get the convinience of being able to publish with the free DivX Plus Web Player as well as having your content in a format that can still play on a lot of devices (e.g. Playstation 3, certified TVs, phones, and blu-ray players).

There's a free web developers guide here:
    http://developer.divx.com/docs/DivX_Web_Player/

And a code generator to help you embed your posted DivX files here:
    http://labs.divx.com/WebPlayerCodeGenerator

Also, as of the latest release, the DivX Plus Web Player added DivX Plus HD support, meaning it can play MKV/H.264/AAC, should you decide to convert your MPEG videos to MKV, which is a very popular Internet format for HD.

Here's more info about the DivX Plus Web Player, too:
    http://www.divx.com/en/software/divx/web-player
    You'll find me at:
    DivX Labs and the DivX Developer Portal
    Follow us on Twitter: @DivXLabs
    Quote Quote