VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it possible to store photos on a CD or DVD for use on a computer, and also be able to view them on a DVD player (using the same disc)?

Thanks in advance for any tips. I've looked everywhere for an answer!

Mellie
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome Mellie

Yes its possible ... the only requirements is to check your dvd players file type support

Some dvd player manuals will specify folder / file organization, naming restrictions and limits ... stick with those as your guideline and you shouldnt have any issues
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We don't have a manual for the DVD player.
    We've tried putting in a data DVD and a CD and it won't play. When we put photos and/or video on either, using a DVD (or slideshow) maker, the player will play it but the files are unusable.

Thanks,
    Mellie
    Quote Quote  
  4. Files are unusable? How? On what machine? More info needed.

Almost any DVD player will play a series of JPG files stored on a standard data disk. Some prefer DVD, or CD, or will handle both.

Video, and slideshows, are a different animal, authoring concerns come into play. Simply burning a disk full of standard JPG files almost always works.

Google the make and model of the player, 99% you can find the manual online.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The photos in a slideshow are unable to be accessed, when I put the disc into the CD-rom on the computer.

I'd like to do what you explained in your second sentence. I tried inserting a data CD into the DVD player and it said "Disc error", the same thing that happened when a data DVD was inserted.

I'm looking for a manual online.

Thanks,
    Mellie
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found the manual. It looks like a photo DVD should work. I've been using a DVD-R.:/

I'll try it out when we get a DVD and let you know what happens.

Thanks,
    Mellie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD+R should work. I'm almost 100% sure.

I love to make video's of family photo's and video's so that I can keep them on my computer and on a disc for simpler view.

I would suggest downloading a free program that specializes in making these kinds of video's. Most computer's will come with a free trial or something but if you find a good program than you can tweak your slide show (add music, affects, colors, wording) than you will make tons of them and enjoy doing so.

Good luck and enjoy.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your help.

I do have a program for making slideshows, and like to do that. But, once you make a slideshow with the photos, that disc will play on a dvd player but is not a data disc anymore. The photos are unusable on a computer for any other purpose than to watch as a movie.

What I'm trying to do is put a bunch of photos on a disc for storage and also for viewing on TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Mellie
    What I'm trying to do is put a bunch of photos on a disc for storage and also for viewing on TV.
    Just create a data CD with ImgBurn and be done with it!!!! If you have more than 650MB of pictures...then make a data DVD with ImgBurn(and good discs like Verbatim) and be done with it. Players read the CD version more often than the DVD version of the above discs but at least you will have them saved/backed up in case of computer failure.
    Quote Quote  
  10. It's possible that your DVD player will not create a slideshow from a set of JPG files. In that case, most slideshow programs have an option to put a copy of the original files on the disk. Would reduce storage space, but unless you had a disk compatibility problem, that may be the best option.
    Quote Quote