VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Do you know any video hosting site that does not allow one's video to be downloaded/saved into the other’s computer (no Download button/option) but watched online only by share?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There might be some that make it difficult. There are none that can make it impossible.

ANYTHING that can be seen on your computer can either be download, or captured via screen capture software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Proprietary streaming tech, sure -- used quite a bit for various corporate internal networks.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tworegon
    There might be some that make it difficult......
    What are they? Does anyone know it?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You can't download videos from Hulu, but it's a commercial site. That doesn't mean that the streaming video can't be recorded though. Netflix uses Silverlight to protect its video streaming. To me, this original question just seems to be a variation on the "Can I protect my DVD so that no one can copy it?" question we get with the same answer - you can make it difficult, but not impossible.

I can't think of any reason why a site that allows the public to upload videos to it would go to the trouble to protect them like coody wants.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    I can't think of any reason why a site that allows the public to upload videos to it would go to the trouble to protect them like coody wants.
    If the uploading video goes into the other’s computer, you have lost control of it. For online watching only, the uploaded video is still in your control. You can edit and even delete it. So a good hosting site should provide a download option and let the user decide whether the download is allowed or not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by coody
    It’s easy to understand it. If the uploading video goes into the other’s computer, you have lost control of it. For online watching only, the video is still in your control. You can edit and even delete it.
    No it's not. As a a matter of fact it's ridiculous. So ridiculous in fact that NOBODY has even attempted to create such a website.
    You put a video up on the internet...I can and will copy/record it....FACT. If I can see it....it's mine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Probably you have not thought about it. It's new to you.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the uploading video goes into the other’s computer, you have lost control of it. For online watching only, the uploaded video is still in your control. You can edit and even delete it. So a good hosting site should provide a download option and let the user decide whether the download is allowed or not.
    If the video goes through my computer on the way from the site on which it's hosted to my screen (and if it's going to be displayed on my screen, it does have to go through my computer), then I can record it. Doesn't matter whether the site on which it's hosted has a "download" button or not.

You could try some proprietary "scrambling" algorithm that would require a licensed plug-in to be able to play the scrambled video. That would work. About as well as CSS works to prevent copying of commercial DVDs. Check with the MPAA to see how well that works.

Steve
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    By search, the Vimeo has the private setting that the user can turn off the Download. There is no effect on watching the video online, however. Do you think you still can download and save the video into your computer without using the capture software if the Download has been turned off? Do you want to test it and tell how?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The first two Vimeo videos I tried downloading - downloaded very easy with Real Player Pro.

Vimeo is a long way from making it difficult.

If you want to see something difficult to download, (but not impossible), try this youtube video (encoded in RTMPE)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVhAF1W6D2g
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It will be easy to download the videos if no protection and for the public viewing. Have you unchecked Download option in the Private setting, by the way?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have a Vimeo account. Give us a link to an account that has sharing disabled, and I will try to download.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can create an account and then share your video by disabling the Download. Vineo has the best private feature so far by search. Have fun with it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can't help you. I don't need or desire a Vimeo account.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Probably you have not thought about it. It's new to you.
    Oh good grief.

Again, this already exists, but it becomes a pain to deal with, and you lose compatibility the more difficult you make it. And thus lose viewers. That's why it's only real use is in internal networks where all the hardware/software is controlled -- and not the masses of the world with all kinds of hardware/software trying to access it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote