VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now that my entire CD library has been ripped to iTunes (AAC), I've decided to move on to my DVDs as well. The problem is that I don't want the files to be too large. As a jumping off point, I decided to mimic the format and compression of iTunes movies.

According to Wikipedia, the latest format and compression is "1.5 Mbit/s (minimum) Protected MPEG-4 video (H.264) with a minimum 128 kbit/s AAC audio track." Just to confirm, I checked the digital download of The Dark Knight I got when I bought the super-duper-suck-all-the-money-out-of-your-wallet-edition of the DVD.

So, I decided to use Serenity as my test run. I ripped the DVD using Smart Ripper, put the VOB files in sequence in Adobe Premiere Pro CS4, and Exported the file at the above specifications.

When playing back the file, and at random places during playback, the video then audio would freeze for about 2-3 seconds, and then working again but from a place 2-3 seconds later than when it froze. I compared the files again using Get Info and iTunes, and they appear to be the same. Yet, I don't get those "hick-ups" form playing back The Dark Knight. also, when changing the file extensions of the VOBs to MPG, I am able to playback the movie with no issues at all in WMP.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why my newly converted file doesn't playback the way the digital download file does? Does anyone perhaps know of a better way to get an iTunes quality from a DVD?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Using DVDFAB's 'dvd to mobile' would be much simpler, and produces much better end results.

http://www.dvdfab.com/dvd-to-mobile.htm
    You are in breach of the forum rules and are being banned. Do not post false information.
    /Moderator John Q. Publik
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Troll. I downloaded the trail version and am letting it do it's thing while I'm at work. We'll see how it went when I get home. Still, I would like to know why this isn't working using Adobe Media Encoder from Premier. I gotta tell ya: I've had success with every Adobe program except Premier in any version. They've got Flash Development and photo editing down, but they can't seem to get it going with video editing and converting.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again, Troll. That worked like a charm. Had to do it a couple of times because I left the Subtitles on and used the wrong dimensions, but the final product was way better than my other method.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have been well pleased with DVDFAB, mostly as it is nearly always upto date when it comes to the latest releases.
    You are in breach of the forum rules and are being banned. Do not post false information.
    /Moderator John Q. Publik
    Quote Quote